Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reduced service: ORD-HKG suspended as of 8-Sept-2019 & EWR-EZE suspended as of 26-Oct

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reduced service: ORD-HKG suspended as of 8-Sept-2019 & EWR-EZE suspended as of 26-Oct

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
EVE = Evenes Airport, NO.

Could you mean EZE, which is the Buenos Aires international airport?
Sorry, yes of course. Corrected by edit above. Thanks.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by nomad420
Pretty complicated travel situation with flights throughout western hemisphere but what might work is flying back through Santiago to LAX/SFO. I initially did get a screaming deal on the Polaris tickets from EZE to EWR but if they don't beat me up too bad on flipping back home through Santiago and blowing off EVE I may just look at that. Would give more time in Valparaiso as well, a town I have been looking forward to visiting for some time now. Thanks...
As much as I think there's no reason to avoid Argentina, I highly recommend Valparaíso - it's a beautiful place! I'd stay in the hills, even though (if I remember correctly) most of the higher-end hotels seem to be in the downtown area by the water. The hills are just a much prettier, quirkier place to be. And La Sebastiana (Neruda house) is a must-see!!
SkiPremier likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 12:41 pm
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Will you be tempted to take the morning arrival flight into HKG from SFO instead of the evening arrival when the two daily flights start?

I have always liked evening arrivals in Asia, allowing my system to adjust before having to start working. I may be in the minority but I’m not totally buying the reasoning for timing of the second flight out of SFO.

Last edited by DEN; Sep 1, 2019 at 12:46 pm
Old Sep 1, 2019, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DEN
Will you be tempted to take the morning arrival flight into HKG from SFO instead of the evening arrival when the two daily flights start?
Either option is workable. Just need to plan accordingly.

In Y I’d probably take the day flight and in Polaris I don’t mind either...I’m in Polaris.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DEN

I have always liked evening arrivals in Asia, allowing my system to adjust before having to start working. I may be in the minority but I’m not totally buying the reasoning for timing of the second flight out of SFO.
I much prefer the late night US departure. It's so much more efficient, as you only burn one workday, not two. Plus I handle the time change better with a morning arrival in Asia.

The timing of UA's daytime HKG departure is one of the key reasons I've been mostly flying CX TPAC this year.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
At an investor conference yesterday, Kirby called the current state of the HKG market "terrible" and Argentina "pretty bad also", so, disappointing, but not terribly surprising to see UA trim the lowest-performing route to each destination.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EWR764
At an investor conference yesterday, Kirby called the current state of the HKG market "terrible" and Argentina "pretty bad also", so, disappointing, but not terribly surprising to see UA trim the lowest-performing route to each destination.
CX has cancelled a bunch of flights. I've now had two tickets impacted.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold CX Green (many years diamond) Hilton Gold Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
What flights has CX canceled? I'm just about to make the switch for my monthly commute, given the recent UA cancelations.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Didn't see that. Are they cutting back on the night flights? As I don't do any business there I have not been there in years and really only connecting. Have you been to HKG recently geezzz how bad is it?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:42 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by passenger888
What flights has CX canceled? I'm just about to make the switch for my monthly commute, given the recent UA cancelations.
As of 11SEP19, inventory changes for winter 2019/20 season (27OCT19 – 28MAR20) as follows.

Hong Kong – Dublin eff 27OCT19 4 weekly service closed for reservation
Hong Kong – Frankfurt eff 01NOV19 CX283/282 closed for reservation (Except Christmas/New Year period)
Hong Kong – Paris CDG eff 27OCT19 3 weekly CX279/278 closed for reservation (Except Christmas/New Year period)
Hong Kong – New York JFK eff 29OCT19 CX846/845 3 of 7 weekly closed for reservation (Overall nonstop showing 18 out of 21 available for booking)
Hong Kong – Vancouver eff 29OCT19 3 weekly CX856/859 (A350-900XWB) closed for reservation (Overall reduce from 17 to 14 weekly)
Hong Kong – Washington Dulles eff 30OCT19 1 of 5 weekly closed for reservation

Other routes also see reservation closed on selected days or dates throughout winter season.
source
Old Sep 13, 2019, 12:25 pm

In addition to the announced cuts referenced by 1984SW, they are cutting the 359 flights to/from SFO on certain days as well as reducing frequency HKG-BKK. I understand other regional routes are also seeing cuts.
passenger888 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 7:44 am
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
You must be talking about UA dropping HKG/ORD flights? Besides a few cancelled flights during the first round of HKG airport demonstrations, UA flights in and out of HKG have been going pretty smoothly and upgrade opportunities are the best I've ever seen.

Last edited by DEN; Sep 14, 2019 at 7:50 am
Old Sep 14, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold CX Green (many years diamond) Hilton Gold Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DEN
You must be talking about UA dropping HKG/ORD flights? Besides a few cancelled flights during the first round of HKG airport demonstrations, UA flights in and out of HKG have been going pretty smoothly and upgrade opportunities are the best I've ever seen.
Thank you, yes, talking about the HKG/ORD, my normal pt to pt routing...I have rarely had upgrade issues on this routing; recently refilled GPUs when the HKG/ORD cancellations were announced. The 9/16 HKG-->ORD flight, booked before cancellations, was re-rerouted HKG-->EWR-->ORD; seeing I'll be heading to New York on 9/17, kinda feels like backtracking on Tuesday.

@nomad420 Manageable for sure and still totally safe if avoiding any areas of protest where there is conflict or violence. Have spent most of my adult life here. Here now, generally quiet. Hong Kong needs our visits.
EWR764 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 14, 2019 at 10:51 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
On OMAAT, they note that starting in December, UA is putting sCO 772s on both the EWR-HKG and 2x SFO-HKG routes. Actually an upgrade for the folks in back, but indicative of the fact that the traffic isn't there right now. The good thing is that it's only for 3+ months, and that UA hasn't (yet) cut the second SFO-HKG frequency.
MBS MillionMiler likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:27 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
On OMAAT, they note that starting in December, UA is putting sCO 772s on both the EWR-HKG and 2x SFO-HKG routes. Actually an upgrade for the folks in back, but indicative of the fact that the traffic isn't there right now. The good thing is that it's only for 3+ months, and that UA hasn't (yet) cut the second SFO-HKG frequency.
I was coming here to report it myself, as I just read it on Lucky’s blog, but Psi scooped it first. Here’s the link:

http://bit.ly/2UREpMk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.