Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reduced service - ORD-HKG suspended as of 8-Sept-19 & EWR-EZE suspended as of 26-Oct

Reduced service - ORD-HKG suspended as of 8-Sept-19 & EWR-EZE suspended as of 26-Oct

Old Aug 26, 19, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post

Check your reservations online, or via the app. They probably rerouted you through Houston . Thatís what happened with me.
I just did, no change in anything?!? What gives, will give a call but not happy to hear this considering the hassle this trip was to originally book.
Old Aug 26, 19, 6:44 pm

Programs: AMEX Centurion, UA Gold, Stariott Plat., HH Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
Just saw this thread, I have a Dec EZE-EWR Polaris tickets for family have received no notice of cancellation, have not poured through thread but are they rescheduling this flight or is it just dead. Will be calling UA soon to see what is up but nothing has been sent to me to date about this.
For my ORD-HKG flight they never notified me via the UA app or email, phone, etc. I noticed it myself when the reservation disappeared entirely from the app.
Old Aug 26, 19, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post

Check your reservations online, or via the app. They probably rerouted you through Houston . Thatís what happened with me.
Went back and checked as well as called and indeed we are rerouted through IAH with similar flight times but our seats are now scattered throughout Polaris so will need to see what we can do about this issue. Very surprised by all of this and wonder if I even have an option to cancel flight now. Surprised no email stating anything about the change. Had to hear about this from TPG, pretty pathetic.
Old Aug 26, 19, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
wonder if I even have an option to cancel flight now
Yes, you can cancel for a full refund.
Old Aug 26, 19, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
I would be very surprised if UA considered axing any TPAC routes out of SFO. TPE in particular must be a very heavy tech route given the amount of chip manufacturing done in Taiwan, so I doubt that it's going away.

If you had to ask me, I would think that EWR-TPE will eventually get started once UA starts taking in more 789 deliveries.It would also make sense given that the vast majority of UA's international expansion is focused on its big coastal hubs (EWR and SFO).
I don't think they will cancel either ... just seems odd to have that many no shows and 25% occupancy.
Old Aug 26, 19, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Yes, you can cancel for a full refund.
Not sure I will but good to know, thanks. Need to now clean up the seat situation if I can.
Old Aug 26, 19, 11:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Mileage Plus Silver
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA View Post
When were you planning to go? I doubt you'll face any major disruptions, certainly not before the presidential handover in December. I'm going next week with absolutely zero concerns. Meanwhile, my business contacts in Argentina may be freaking out for political reasons, but no one is really expecting imminent chaos. The peso has even rebounded a bit since last week.

I wouldn't let this keep you from Argentina, particularly if your travel is within the next few months. If anything, the country just got much cheaper for travel.
Plan was for the second half of December. I still remember why I didn't go to EZE during the Fernandez years with the official exchange rates and the black market one for the Peso. Also, not really in the mood to take down and pay in cash USD for everything like my Argentine friends suggest that I do. It's a me thing where I need to be able to make plans and or prepay for things and not have to worry about if the services or company will exist when I get there. Sure, I will be protected by the CC, but its still something I would rather not deal with.

Internal flights in Argentina, you really have no good choice other than AR and I'm a bit hesitant on taking on the delay and cancellation risks which seem to be rampant among what I am reading. I would prefer not to have to pad a day here and another day there to accomodate AR's failings.

My family and I decided to go to Chile instead. I paid $3680 x 3 for the Polaris tickets to EZE. The tickets to SCL are going for $2550.00 x 3 right now. Thats a whopping $1130 x 3 savings for Polars Business Class. You better believe it I'm going to use this opportunity to fully refund and book a trip where pretty much I can pay for the rest of the trip with the savings! Also, I feel better about making advanced bookings on LAN and other Chilean LCC than AR right now.

I really wanted to go to Argentina but I'm going to have to evaluate it for future years.
Old Aug 26, 19, 11:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Went back and checked as well as called and indeed we are rerouted through IAH with similar flight times but our seats are now scattered throughout Polaris so will need to see what we can do about this issue. Very surprised by all of this and wonder if I even have an option to cancel flight now. Surprised no email stating anything about the change. Had to hear about this from TPG, pretty pathetic.
when is your flight? there are a lot of people to notify. it is very likely United is doing this one wave at a time.
Old Aug 27, 19, 8:58 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by seat38a View Post
Plan was for the second half of December. I still remember why I didn't go to EZE during the Fernandez years with the official exchange rates and the black market one for the Peso. Also, not really in the mood to take down and pay in cash USD for everything like my Argentine friends suggest that I do. It's a me thing where I need to be able to make plans and or prepay for things and not have to worry about if the services or company will exist when I get there. Sure, I will be protected by the CC, but its still something I would rather not deal with.

Internal flights in Argentina, you really have no good choice other than AR and I'm a bit hesitant on taking on the delay and cancellation risks which seem to be rampant among what I am reading. I would prefer not to have to pad a day here and another day there to accomodate AR's failings.

My family and I decided to go to Chile instead. I paid $3680 x 3 for the Polaris tickets to EZE. The tickets to SCL are going for $2550.00 x 3 right now. Thats a whopping $1130 x 3 savings for Polars Business Class. You better believe it I'm going to use this opportunity to fully refund and book a trip where pretty much I can pay for the rest of the trip with the savings! Also, I feel better about making advanced bookings on LAN and other Chilean LCC than AR right now.

I really wanted to go to Argentina but I'm going to have to evaluate it for future years.
Respectfully, I think that was an extreme overreaction - the likelihood of services/companies ceasing to exist over the next four months is pretty slim. The country's in recession, not outright collapse, and it's seen far worse. Also, the currency controls of the K years are gone, so there's no real need to use cash dollars (although, if a merchant opts to give you a discount for that, I don't see why that's a problem!)

Also, I'm not sure where you're getting that AR is the only option for internal flights. LATAM has a pretty comprehensive route network and is about the same price as AR. Also, strikes are pretty much a fact of life most places outside the US - witness BA right now! In any event, the unions in Argentina are more likely to support the Peronist agenda, so there's slim to no chance they're going to launch a massive strike right as a Peronist president (presumably) takes over.

Anyway, Chile will be great as well, but if you're really interested in Argentina, I wouldn't be dissuaded from going. You can easily get to Mendoza wine country from Santiago - something to think about. Or, if you're in the south, you can do the Cruce de los Lagos, which is a gorgeous boat trip through the Patagonian lake district that can take you to Bariloche:

https://www.cruceandino.com/cruce/ES...a-de-travesias
Old Aug 27, 19, 11:08 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Mileage Plus Silver
Respectfully, I think that was an extreme overreaction - the likelihood of services/companies ceasing to exist over the next four months is pretty slim. The country's in recession, not outright collapse, and it's seen far worse. Also, the currency controls of the K years are gone, so there's no real need to use cash dollars (although, if a merchant opts to give you a discount for that, I don't see why that's a problem!)

Also, I'm not sure where you're getting that AR is the only option for internal flights. LATAM has a pretty comprehensive route network and is about the same price as AR. Also, strikes are pretty much a fact of life most places outside the US - witness BA right now! In any event, the unions in Argentina are more likely to support the Peronist agenda, so there's slim to no chance they're going to launch a massive strike right as a Peronist president (presumably) takes over.

Anyway, Chile will be great as well, but if you're really interested in Argentina, I wouldn't be dissuaded from going. You can easily get to Mendoza wine country from Santiago - something to think about. Or, if you're in the south, you can do the Cruce de los Lagos, which is a gorgeous boat trip through the Patagonian lake district that can take you to Bariloche:

Oh I still clearly remember the late 90's with Fernando de la Rua and practically the monthly presidential changes until Nestor and K took over. The failed dollarization riots and the run on the banks, currency control etc.. Sorry to paint such a negative view, but I know enough Argentino's who disagrees with you and I'll take their advice. Unfortunately about every decade the country goes into economic collapse/fiasco and well its something that I'm not willing to risk. You call it "pretty slim" I call it unacceptable risk, when there's plenty of places to go in Latin America where chances are "near zero."

LATAM is big but does not have an extensive network in Argentina. I've already done my homework and it would require flying out to Brazil and back or back tracking to Buenos Aires to accomplish the same thing with AR. Flying to Sao Paulo and back is NOT a legitimate option.

Thank you for the advice to cross into Argentina from Chile, but we've decided to see as much of Chile as possible in 16 days from north to south.

Last edited by seat38a; Aug 27, 19 at 1:08 pm
Old Aug 27, 19, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
My guess is that it's convenient to cite low demand due to political tensions, but my guess is that they wanted those widebodies so that their current fleet isn't stretched too thin when they do their summer 2020 expansion.
Old Aug 27, 19, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by amtrakusa View Post
when is your flight? there are a lot of people to notify. it is very likely United is doing this one wave at a time.
Not until end of Dec so you may be correct. However with a phone call it was confirmed that I was indeed changed to a EVE-IAH flight. I spend last night getting our seats back together but was able to do it on both legs of the flight. They had all of us (4) scattered through out Polaris section of the flight post change and all paxs are GS on vacation. Needless to say they were responsive when I called and apologetic about the whole mix up. No comment was made as to why they dropped the flight and I didn't push for an answer.

While we are not cancelling out trip we are trying to spend more time in Chile now. We are locked in to lodging at Mendoza and are trying to shorten are stay there and have to exit through EVE so probably spend at least a day there. But from what I have been hearing I must admit I am not really excited about going now. My nephew may actually blow the trip off and take the financial hit (so hotels in Mendoza give no refunds if booked over the Xmas holiday) as he cannot afford to get stuck in country if things go south.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 27, 19 at 4:41 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 27, 19, 6:17 pm

Not until end of Dec so you may be correct. However with a phone call it was confirmed that I was indeed changed to a EVE-IAH flight. I spend last night getting our seats back together but was able to do it on both legs of the flight. They had all of us (4) scattered through out Polaris section of the flight post change and all paxs are GS on vacation. Needless to say they were responsive when I called and apologetic about the whole mix up. No comment was made as to why they dropped the flight and I didn't push for an answer.

While we are not cancelling out trip we are trying to spend more time in Chile now. We are locked in to lodging at Mendoza and are trying to shorten are stay there and have to exit through EVE so probably spend at least a day there. But from what I have been hearing I must admit I am not really excited about going now. My nephew may actually blow the trip off and take the financial hit (so hotels in Mendoza give no refunds if booked over the Xmas holiday) as he cannot afford to get stuck in country if things go south.
Not sure about your situation, but in my case, my new flight from LAX to Santiago was $1130.00 per person cheaper than my original EZE flight. If you can get a significant savings on the airfare, might be worth eating the prepaid hotel cost.
Old Aug 27, 19, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by seat38a View Post
Not sure about your situation, but in my case, my new flight from LAX to Santiago was $1130.00 per person cheaper than my original EZE flight. If you can get a significant savings on the airfare, might be worth eating the prepaid hotel cost.
Pretty complicated travel situation with flights throughout western hemisphere but what might work is flying back through Santiago to LAX/SFO. I initially did get a screaming deal on the Polaris tickets from EZE to EWR but if they don't beat me up too bad on flipping back home through Santiago and blowing off EZE I may just look at that. Would give more time in Valparaiso as well, a town I have been looking forward to visiting for some time now. Thanks...

Last edited by nomad420; Aug 28, 19 at 10:47 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 27, 19, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Pretty complicated travel situation with flights throughout western hemisphere but what might work is flying back through Santiago to LAX/SFO. I initially did get a screaming deal on the Polaris tickets from EVE to EWR but if they don't beat me up too bad on flipping back home through Santiago and blowing off EVE I may just look at that. Would give more time in Valparaiso as well, a town I have been looking forward to visiting for some time now. Thanks...
EVE = Evenes Airport, NO.

Could you mean EZE, which is the Buenos Aires international airport?

Search this Thread