Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reduced service - ORD-HKG suspended as of 8-Sept-19 & EWR-EZE suspended as of 26-Oct

Reduced service - ORD-HKG suspended as of 8-Sept-19 & EWR-EZE suspended as of 26-Oct

Old Aug 25, 19, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
AA recently dropped most of its Asia flights from ORD. Perhaps not that much O/D demand Asia/Chicago relative to other hubs?
Old Aug 25, 19, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
So UA is supposed to run a flight at a substantial loss in order to make sure that the customers -- who aren't booking the flight, which is the problem -- don't think to try other airlines?
If the problem is people not going to HKG (and I am sure a lot of people are not going), then wouldn't not adding the 2nd flight from SFO be the less disruptive alternative? Maybe Chicago yield was bad to start with and this provides a good reason to cut?
Old Aug 25, 19, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by username View Post
If the problem is people not going to HKG (and I am sure a lot of people are not going), then wouldn't not adding the 2nd flight from SFO be the less disruptive alternative? Maybe Chicago yield was bad to start with and this provides a good reason to cut?
Not if they're still seeing strong demand on SFO-HKG and less on ORD-HKG. Or if there are other operational concerns involved (what else is that airframe doing, etc).
Old Aug 25, 19, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
AA recently dropped most of its Asia flights from ORD. Perhaps not that much O/D demand Asia/Chicago relative to other hubs?
OMAAT was speculating as much. That said, DFW seems to be able to drive TPAC traffic much more successfully over DFW, since they have a huge hub there. I would imagine that UA will keep the existing Asia routes (PVG, PEK, soon-to-be HND), since ORD seems to be their primary mid-continental hub of choice over IAH or DEN.
Old Aug 25, 19, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Not if they're still seeing strong demand on SFO-HKG and less on ORD-HKG. Or if there are other operational concerns involved (what else is that airframe doing, etc).
Historically, I think all four ORD-Asia flights have had very high load factors. Yield? I have no idea. This could be related to trends UA is detecting from advance bookings and, as you mention, some operational issues. Not to be overlooked is the fact HKG is UA's longest route from ORD and that could play a part in this.
Old Aug 25, 19, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
Historically, I think all four ORD-Asia flights have had very high load factors. Yield? I have no idea. This could be related to trends UA is detecting from advance bookings and, as you mention, some operational issues. Not to be overlooked is the fact HKG is UA's longest route from ORD and that could play a part in this.
From an operations perspective, the HKG flight also has to sit on the ground in HKG overnight due to the schedule and/or length of the flight, while the other three Asian flights (NRT/HND, PEK, PVG) all turn right around and head back to ORD. On the other hand, it has also been used to efficiently cycle 772s in and out of Polaris retrofits and other heavy maintenance activities at HKG/XMN.
Old Aug 25, 19, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
From an operations perspective, the HKG flight also has to sit on the ground in HKG overnight due to the schedule and/or length of the flight
That has been true for SFO and EWR as well; all three aircraft overnight at HKG. It's due to the daytime US departure.
Old Aug 26, 19, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by username View Post
Except that flight hasn't started yet, so if they're taking an immediate step because of the effect of protests on bookings the existing ORD flight makes more sense. Plus they can reroute ORD travelers through SFO or EWR.

While they say 2d SFO is still on track, presumably UA could change that decision when the time gets closer. I view "suspending" the flight as a temporary reaction to the current situation, not a long-term view that ORD-HKG isn't a route they want to serve.
Old Aug 26, 19, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K
FWIW UA895 ORD-SFO is flying a polarized 777-200 (#3001) today with another scheduled tomorrow (#3016).
Old Aug 26, 19, 4:37 pm

Loads on UA872 (TPE-SFO) aren't all that good either ... maybe freight is the main driver here?

When I checked earlier this week, Polaris was just over 25% full (although it had a high number of no shows!)

Capacity: 60
Booked: 32
Checked in: 17
Old Aug 26, 19, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K .97MM, IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cranky1K View Post
FWIW UA895 ORD-SFO is flying a polarized 777-200 (#3001) today with another scheduled tomorrow (#3016).
is the typical ORD-HKG still mainly the 3 class 777 config?
Old Aug 26, 19, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
Loads on UA872 (TPE-SFO) aren't all that good either ... maybe freight is the main driver here?

When I checked earlier this week, Polaris was just over 25% full (although it had a high number of no shows!)

Capacity: 60
Booked: 32
Checked in: 17
I would be very surprised if UA considered axing any TPAC routes out of SFO. TPE in particular must be a very heavy tech route given the amount of chip manufacturing done in Taiwan, so I doubt that it's going away.

If you had to ask me, I would think that EWR-TPE will eventually get started once UA starts taking in more 789 deliveries.It would also make sense given that the vast majority of UA's international expansion is focused on its big coastal hubs (EWR and SFO).
oopl likes this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 4.1MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post

is the typical ORD-HKG still mainly the 3 class 777 config?
Not anymore.... they are using pmCO 777s with 2-2-2 unless Polarisized. 881 ORD-NRT still uses the pmUA 777s, a few of which still have Global First cabins.
uastarflyer likes this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Just saw this thread, I have a Dec EZE-EWR Polaris tickets for family have received no notice of cancellation, have not poured through thread but are they rescheduling this flight or is it just dead. Will be calling UA soon to see what is up but nothing has been sent to me to date about this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
Just saw this thread, I have a Dec EZE-EWR Polaris tickets for family have received no notice of cancellation, have not poured through thread but are they rescheduling this flight or is it just dead. Will be calling UA soon to see what is up but nothing has been sent to me to date about this.
Check your reservations online, or via the app. They probably rerouted you through Houston . Thatís what happened with me.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: