Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reduced service - ORD-HKG suspended as of 8-Sept-19 & EWR-EZE suspended as of 26-Oct

Reduced service - ORD-HKG suspended as of 8-Sept-19 & EWR-EZE suspended as of 26-Oct

Old Aug 24, 19, 8:40 am

Programs: MH, UA, Marriott & IHG Platinum 0MM, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
10/14 looks like early termination date for GUM-HKG-GUM
Old Aug 24, 19, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Ti
I flew UA 869 on Tuesday. It went out 1/3 empty in J. Y was pretty healthy though I think/
Old Aug 24, 19, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
I just saw the memo from United. Service is "suspended" but I would be surprised to see it return. Sad, because Patrick Quayle said no routes would be cut during a call on Wednesday, though I don't link this news to a need for aircraft or directly rated to the new route announcements.

United Slashing Service To Hong Kong + Buenos Aires (link to my blog)
Given the immediate timing of this, it probably was more of a recent thing stemming from the instability in Hong Kong. The flight attendant rosters for September were already out and given that the ORDHKG flight are staffed primarily with HKG based crews it causes a bunch of issues for scheduling, since many of the crews can't be reallocated to many other flights outside of Hong Kong.

Per the contract.

1. 3 . Notice of one or more calendar day

At the time of the notification, if the Company does not advise the Flight Attendant of a replacement pairing(s) or relieve her/ him of responsibility, at her/his option she/he will:
    1. a . Make up the time lost on days not originally scheduled to fly in which case her/his line guarantee will be adjusted . She/ he will then be relieved of all reassignment responsibility; or
    2. b . Make up the time as close as possible to the time lost on days originally scheduled to fly with no loss of pay . She/he will then be relieved of all reassignment responsibilities; or
    3. c . Be subject to reassignment in accordance with the following:

(1) . After 1600 local time the day before check-in of the original trip, the Flight Attendant may contac
Scheduling which will advise the Flight Attendant whether she/he is likely to be given a trip assignment .

(2) . If she/he chooses to remain subject to reassignment, the Flight Attendant must contact Scheduling between 1800 and 2200 local time the day before the original trip was scheduled to depart . Scheduling will either reassign the Flight Attendant or relieve him/her of all responsibility with no loss of pay .
My guess is most of them will choose the reassignment option since the chances of getting reassigned probably are slim to none.
Old Aug 24, 19, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If UA is paying these FAs anyway, would the assign a couple extra ones to work the remaining HKG flights and just give better service to customers and a bit less work to the normally assigned FAs? I suspect the answer is no, but it could make sense on a full flight of this length. Or given the risk of airport disruptions at HKG, it might make sense to have some FAs in reserve in case there are delays and other FAs time out (although in this case, pilots are likely to time out too, so having some reserve FAs to work might not matter).
Old Aug 24, 19, 10:24 am
FTA

Originally Posted by cranky1K View Post
Will ORD-HKG be suspended in both directions on 9/8? Iím currently booked on 896 on 9/8.
link

Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post
wonder if/when UA reconsiders the 2nd daily SFO-HKG plan.
Originally Posted by sinoflyer View Post
doubt we'll ever see the 2nd SFO-HKG come to fruition.
its in TPG's post, October 26
Old Aug 24, 19, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP
Anyone know what the rebooking parameters are? I'm currently booked on UA877 (the new SFO-HKG) in December in J via GPU, and if it does get cancelled would strongly prefer rebooking onto SQ1 in J, due to the flight timing. The timing of UA869 is terrible IMO.

Last edited by dkc192; Aug 24, 19 at 10:47 am
Old Aug 24, 19, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
Anyone know what the rebooking parameters are? I'm currently booked on UA877 (the new SFO-HKG in December) in J via GPU, and would strongly prefer rebooking onto SQ1 in J, due to the flight timing. The timing of UA869 is terrible IMO.
Considering that UA877 is still on the schedule and for sale, it's safe to say there are currently no rebooking parameters.

But if it is cancelled, I would expect to be able to get that change (to UA1).
Old Aug 24, 19, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, OZ
Anyone know what the rebooking parameters are? I'm currently booked on UA877 (the new SFO-HKG in December) in J via GPU, and would strongly prefer rebooking onto SQ1 in J, due to the flight timing. The timing of UA869 is terrible IMO.
The new SFO flight hasn't been axed...yet.
Old Aug 24, 19, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Considering that UA877 is still on the schedule and for sale, it's safe to say there are currently no rebooking parameters.

But if it is cancelled, I would expect to be able to get that change (to UA1).
Right, just wondering what the parameters are for 895, since those will likely be replicated should 877 get the ax.

My destination is HKG. UA1 goes to SIN. SQ1 stops in HKG on its way to SIN (I'd get off in HKG).
Old Aug 24, 19, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
My destination is HKG. UA1 goes to SIN. SQ1 stops in HKG on its way to SIN (I'd get off in HKG).
UA is not going to rebook you in J on SQ.

I'm booked on 877 in late December, with ultimate destination farther on in SE Asia (separate tix), so I would consider UA1 as an alternative. Though I really prefer the Polaris seat.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
UA is not going to rebook you in J on SQ.

I'm booked on 877 in late December, with ultimate destination farther on in SE Asia (separate tix), so I would consider UA1 as an alternative. Though I really prefer the Polaris seat.
OK, so anyone know what the actual parameters? JV partners OK? I'm flying LAX-SFO-HKG-KUL (last leg on a separate ticket too) and really prefer an overnight flight in a 1-2-1 config. Would consider LAX-HND-HKG due to the timing+product combo, likely over any other UA flight to Asia. If JV partners aren't OK, then I guess I'll suck it up and take UA1 (compromise on product, which isn't "guaranteed", I know, I know!) or UA869 (compromise on timing).
Old Aug 24, 19, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, so anyone know what the actual parameters? JV partners OK?
There are no parameters, because the flight you're asking about hasn't been cancelled. Maybe it will be, maybe it won't.

If if is cancelled, their first response will be to move everyone onto the other SFO-HKG flight. If that doesn't work for you timing-wise, you might be able to get a JV partner, or you might have to cancel and rebook yourself. You can certainly ask for SQ1, but, IMO, your chances are tiny. But there's no real sense worrying about it now; they'll be plenty of time to figure it out if UA actually alters the schedule.
Kacee likes this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I agree that EZE is surprising, It's tougher for people from Argentina to take leisure trips abroad and business travel in both directions might be down somewhat, but Argentina is currently very attractive for international passengers because the exchange rates are so much in our favor. AFAIK there aren't restrictions on foreign companies taking profits out fo the country.
AA offers the most flights, from MIA of course but also other hubs, IIRC at least ORD and IAH.

I flew SFO-EZE 7 times last year, mostly via EWR, and the increasingly favorable exchange rate was indeed attractive, although hotel pricing is typically in USD so kept pace with inflation. While I (sort of) understand United's decision, I'll be sad to lose the "poor man's business" seats -- i.e, 3-across in E+ on the 764, which were almost always available. Not to mention the easy business saver awards.

What's really notable is the fare hikes - through Oct 16, lowest RT Y fares via EWR or IAH are sub-$1200. Starting Oct 17 the SFO-IAH-EZE Y fares on UA metal jump to the $1800-3500 range!

As point of interest, in Spring 2019 AA added a direct LAX-EZE route, which is available in Y throughout fall 2019 at sub-$1000 RT and in J at sub-$3000. Not much incentive for west coast pax to stick with United.

Last edited by mehitabel; Aug 24, 19 at 11:33 am
Old Aug 24, 19, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
If UA is paying these FAs anyway, would the assign a couple extra ones to work the remaining HKG flights and just give better service to customers and a bit less work to the normally assigned FAs? I suspect the answer is no, but it could make sense on a full flight of this length. Or given the risk of airport disruptions at HKG, it might make sense to have some FAs in reserve in case there are delays and other FAs time out (although in this case, pilots are likely to time out too, so having some reserve FAs to work might not matter).
They could, but I believe there is an issue with the jumpseat configuration which makes some of them unusable. Another option would be to extend their existing schedule and add on international flying to an existing HKG-SFO pairing. During 2018, Hong Kong based crews filled some of the positions on SFO-NRT. I guess for the current time we just have to wait and see as scheduling figures it out.
Old Aug 24, 19, 1:45 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, VX Gold, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by dinoscool3 View Post
The new SFO flight hasn't been axed...yet.
The economy globally is being put into the gutter by Trump's trade war, and US trade (both imports and experts) are going down, and future orders are even worse. Slowdown in trade going both ways is going to badly impact US-HKG flights, since HKG is a gateway to China. Much of the ORD-HKG business traffic is for US manufacturing in the upper midwest, which is now in recession. Not surprised to see this be the first flight to go.

And there is no way that UA will launch a second SFO-HKG flght, not with business travel likely to be strongly down moving forward + the ongoing instability in HKG, with Chinese interference causing HQ and regional offices to consider moving elsewhere (SIN, Japan being the big beneficiaries).

And the EZE cancellation (which is what is will be, absent Kirshner losing the election) is not surprising. The Argentinians have an unmatched ability to destroy their economy with self-centered short sighted belief that the rules don't apply to them. From the wealthiest country in the world in the 1890s to a basket case, with about half of south America now richer... See Argentina was the richest country in the world | Libertad y Progreso in English It is only mildly amusing the the Brits appear to be following their nemusus the Argentinians into national economic suicide.

But the bigger story IMHO here is that we are beginning to see the turning of the screw. The US 3 cut service, cut their mileage programs, and adopted a customers be dammed attitude pushed by the Hunter Keays of Wall Street starting with Jeffie in 2012 and then expanding to AA under Parker. But when the economy goes into a tailspin, as it looks like it is, the once loyal and tied in customers that AA and UA drove away are going to be sorely missed, particularly with a bunch of new aircraft to be filled, and foreign carriers with seats to fill but not the horrible crammed in seats, awful food, and surly service that UA and AA are offering...

Search this Thread