Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reduced service - ORD-HKG suspended as of 8-Sept-19 & EWR-EZE suspended as of 26-Oct

Reduced service - ORD-HKG suspended as of 8-Sept-19 & EWR-EZE suspended as of 26-Oct

Old Aug 24, 19, 1:18 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Mileage Plus Silver
Just used the EZE cancellation to 100% refund my tickets. Been having some reservations about going since its becoming more difficult to make longer term plans with the current political situation in Argentina. Back to the drawing board to see where to go.
Old Aug 24, 19, 1:26 am

Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Currently PZ9 all over the place.
Not for my dates in November. ☹

My PQD run and hoping my GPUs take for the flights.
Old Aug 24, 19, 1:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by jayzala View Post
What dates?
Early October HKG-SFO, late December SFO-HKG. Just confirmed both at booking.
Old Aug 24, 19, 2:02 am

I have a mileage run/ vacation with the wife to HKG in February. The outbound was thru ORD. I was spending 3 days there and then returning thru SIN with a free 9 day stopover there. They have rescheduled me thru SFO with only about an hour change in times. The wife is not excited about HKG due to the protests.

First, any chance they would allow us to change dates so that we can immediately transfer in HKG for SIN?

Second, what are the chances of a no penalty cancel?
Old Aug 24, 19, 2:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by pretzlaff View Post
I was spending 3 days there and then returning thru SIN with a free 9 day stopover there.
Nine days in Singapore? There's only so much chili crab one can eat.
Old Aug 24, 19, 2:08 am

Actually looking to go down to DPS from there. The whole thing was a $587 attempt to get close to Bali.
Old Aug 24, 19, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by pretzlaff View Post
Actually looking to go down to DPS from there. The whole thing was a $587 attempt to get close to Bali.
Got it. I think you can probably reschedule within reason or cancel and refund based on the fairly substantial schedule change that results from adding an SFO connection.
pretzlaff likes this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 2:28 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Nine days in Singapore? There's only so much chili crab one can eat.
there’s also bak kut teh, laksa, stir fried carrot cake, hokkien mee, roti prata, chicken rice, pisang goreng, pork jerky etc.

Worse places to be stuck for 9 days...mouth is watering 😉
oopl likes this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post
UPDATE; UA Proactively protected me on new Flights! I’m happy with the revised routings..
Nice!

Meanwhile, UA gave me a negative nine minute connection in ORD to get to a 59 minute connection in EWR to HKG. But, hey, I've been meaning to fly the 781...

I'll have to call them eventually. For now, I'll leave my options open...
Old Aug 24, 19, 4:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by BZRORG View Post
What route did you end up taking? I was only offered an itinerary that included an overnight in hong kong (where i would be responsible for the hotel). I have a connecting flight on Cathay dragon (gum-hkg-xiy) and they would not even reroute me n united metal to PEK for example. Its a quick mileage run and I dont really care where i end up but i dont want to be spending out of my pocket because of United's inflexibility.
I have GUM-HKG cancelled. I am thinking of rerouting to CTU; ie, xxx-HNL-SFO-CTU, instead of HNL-GUM-HKG-XIY. Please let me know if this will work. I have not called United yet.
Old Aug 24, 19, 5:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
UA treated me fantastic on rerouting all of my trips through EWR. They even opened-up PZ space and let me pick the flights for the domestic legs to/from EWR in addition to upgrading the EWR-HKG legs which are replacing already upgraded ORD-HKG legs.
SteveHK, narvik and oopl like this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 6:04 am
DEN

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond
Sorry to see Air Mike ( for those who remember ) dropping GUM-HKG (again). It was a three pilot turn around flight and it always seemed pretty full. I do wonder about GUM's future with UA.
ALGU likes this.

Last edited by DEN; Aug 24, 19 at 6:20 am
Old Aug 24, 19, 6:13 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold CX Green (many years diamond) Hilton Gold Marriott Gold
Sept 16th HKG-->ORD on UA re-routed through EWR (ticket was booked on ANA/IJ)
As a monthly round tripper between HKG<-->ORD, and long time United flyer, will be forced to look at the CX non-stop. Could be worse.
Old Aug 24, 19, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by passenger888 View Post
As a monthly round tripper between HKG<-->ORD, and long time United flyer, will be forced to look at the CX non-stop. Could be worse.
You just gave yourself a major upgrade
passenger888 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, OZ
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
Not for my dates in November. ☹

My PQD run and hoping my GPUs take for the flights.
Not for my dates in Jan either. Trying to upgrade 3 people is going to be rough—at least we are in PP.

Search this Thread