Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reduced service: ORD-HKG suspended as of 8-Sept-2019 & EWR-EZE suspended as of 26-Oct

Reduced service: ORD-HKG suspended as of 8-Sept-2019 & EWR-EZE suspended as of 26-Oct

Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by EWR764
With the collapse of the Argentinian economy I’ve been waiting for EWR-EZE to get the axe. Only seemed like a matter of time. ORD-HKG is surprising and I hope it’s temporary.

Agree that the 2nd SFOHKG is probably DOA in this climate unless it effectively replaces ORDHKG. Sad...
Might this also impact the rate at which the 772 retrofit gets done?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I do wonder what it means for the second SFO-HKG that was announced.
Currently PZ9 all over the place.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by Kacee
Currently PZ9 all over the place.
What dates? Trying to figure out my next mileage run and couldn't find any PZ, but I'm also searching from ORD.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Bummer for the loss of ORD-HKG. Hoping that the 2nd SFO-HKG flight hangs in there.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by jayzala
What dates? Trying to figure out my next mileage run and couldn't find any PZ, but I'm also searching from ORD.
Just search the SFO-HKG leg - there is likely PZ0 on the ORD-SFO leg, so if you search ORD-SFO-HKG, it will (incorrectly) show zero upgrade availability.
coolbeans202 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
I was just thinking this morning about when the shoe would drop on HKG flights. Hope it’s temporary, however.

EZE is more surprising. I suppose the EWR flight was always on the bubble, given it had been dead for so long and only recently revived. With that said, the situation in EZE is different than HKG. Companies are moving meetings and expats away from HKG (temporarily). The US POS traffic to EZE should be unchanged. That tells me the EWR flight must rely heavily on AR POS traffic.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by cmhua777
I was just thinking this morning about when the shoe would drop on HKG flights. Hope it’s temporary, however.

EZE is more surprising. I suppose the EWR flight was always on the bubble, given it had been dead for so long and only recently revived. With that said, the situation in EZE is different than HKG. Companies are moving meetings and expats away from HKG (temporarily). The US POS traffic to EZE should be unchanged. That tells me the EWR flight must rely heavily on AR POS traffic.
Not to stray into OMNI too much, but if the election results later this year turn out differently than the primary, I could see a world where this flight gets restarted. I think there's a reason why it is only suspended now and not cut (I assume UA would change the language if they were planning on permanently ending the route).
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I agree that EZE is surprising, It's tougher for people from Argentina to take leisure trips abroad and business travel in both directions might be down somewhat, but Argentina is currently very attractive for international passengers because the exchange rates are so much in our favor. AFAIK there aren't restrictions on foreign companies taking profits out fo the country.

What would be the other routings to EZE using UA/*A from the USA? Connect through Brazil, or are there still ORD-EZE or SFO-EZE nonstops?

BTW, DL seems to be maintaining the daily ATL-EZE flight. Until a couple years ago, it had been downgauging to a 767 in low season (USA summer) but now it seems to be an A330 year round.

AA offers the most flights, from MIA of course but also other hubs, IIRC at least ORD and IAH.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I agree that EZE is surprising, It's tougher for people from Argentina to take leisure trips abroad and business travel in both directions might be down somewhat, but Argentina is currently very attractive for international passengers because the exchange rates are so much in our favor. AFAIK there aren't restrictions on foreign companies taking profits out fo the country.

What would be the other routings to EZE using UA/*A from the USA? Connect through Brazil, or are there still ORD-EZE or SFO-EZE nonstops?

BTW, DL seems to be maintaining the daily ATL-EZE flight. Until a couple years ago, it had been downgauging to a 767 in low season (USA summer) but now it seems to be an A330 year round.

AA offers the most flights, from MIA of course but also other hubs, IIRC at least ORD and IAH.
IAH - EZE on UA

Brazil connects to non-star alliance partners. Or you can go through PTY on Copa

You could even go through Columbia on Avianca But I’m not a fan
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Flying Machine

IAH - EZE on UA

Brazil connects to non-star alliance partners. Or you can go through PTY on Copa

Thank you. I'm not awake. Of course IAH is a hub for UA, not AA, which would be DFW.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by Flying Machine

IAH - EZE on UA

There's also AC via YYZ, although that has a stop in SCL first, which is annoying.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:00 pm
FTA

If you are impacted by this and don't like the new route United gave you then call early and be firm.

After a couple transfers I got a route I liked, even with 1 segment on Air China and overnight layover, all without paying any more fees or taxes and I rarely fly and have no status.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by FTA
If you are impacted by this and don't like the new route United gave you then call early and be firm.

After a couple transfers I got a route I liked, even with 1 segment on Air China and overnight layover, all without paying any more fees or taxes and I rarely fly and have no status.
What route did you end up taking? I was only offered an itinerary that included an overnight in hong kong (where i would be responsible for the hotel). I have a connecting flight on Cathay dragon (gum-hkg-xiy) and they would not even reroute me n united metal to PEK for example. Its a quick mileage run and I dont really care where i end up but i dont want to be spending out of my pocket because of United's inflexibility.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:10 pm
FTA

Originally Posted by BZRORG
What route did you end up taking?
HKG > PEK direct on Air China. Overnight layover at my expense. PEK - ORD direct. My flight is 2+ months out though if it makes a difference.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Makes sense in the current environment - HKG has the protest situation, while Argentina’s economy has been in free fall since the presidential primary. I do wonder what it means for the second SFO-HKG that was announced, and I do wonder if that might be used as the new positioning flight for 772 retrofits (since ORD-HKG had been the flight used to get the old birds over).
This really sucks for me, since ORD-HKG was my preferred route. I've got a lot of rebooking to do now.

However, I don't think it is the protest situation itself that travelers are worried about, it is a draconian crackdown that might result in massive violence that most HKG businessmen that I work with are scared to death of. I also work with a group of Middle East investors that are desperately researching options to liquidate their holdings in HKG right now.

Last edited by zombietooth; Aug 24, 2019 at 12:36 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.