Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reduced service - ORD-HKG suspended as of 8-Sept-19 & EWR-EZE suspended as of 26-Oct

Reduced service - ORD-HKG suspended as of 8-Sept-19 & EWR-EZE suspended as of 26-Oct

Old Sep 15, 19, 3:49 pm
  #151  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NYC (Primarily EWR)
Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Hertz PC
Posts: 6,516
Originally Posted by quantumslip View Post
Figured that this is the best place to post this...

I'm originally booked on HKG-SFO in PP (R class) as part of a larger trip. It was a good price (like $275 differential or so) vs regular economy. I've been wanting to try the new Polaris seat but it's usually out of my price range and not available a lot when I travel. Because of what's going on in HKG the front is wide open and I'm seeing PZ9, and Polaris upgrades for ~$2500 at this time.

Funny enough if I had stuck to economy, I would pay less to upgrade (30k miles + $600 co-pay, vs 30k miles + $450 co-pay from PP, but remember I paid like ~275 more to get into PP). I think they should charge less to upgrade to PP but I guess it only feels that way because of all that's going on.

If I was in economy, I probably would have jumped on this. But since I'm already in PP, because of the higher relative cost I'm leaning toward staying on it. I do think I'll have other opportunities to try out Polaris in the future. So what would you do?

Also I read that it does have an affect on instance upgrades (my connecting flight is currently booked in B class) and would eliminate the instance upgrade chance should something open up. Is that correct?
YMMV but I would still upgrade to J. Otherwise you will have overpaid for a seat that does not exist on the planes you will be flying. Y+ on the 3-3-3 sCO 772 isn't terrible, but the lie-flat, if you have a middle aisle seat, will be far better.
PsiFighter37 is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 4:20 pm
  #152  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 10,620
Originally Posted by quantumslip View Post
If I was in economy, I probably would have jumped on this. But since I'm already in PP, because of the higher relative cost I'm leaning toward staying on it. I do think I'll have other opportunities to try out Polaris in the future. So what would you do?
I'd upgrade. UA miles are increasingly worthless. Consider the $125 difference an insurance policy against having to sit in Y. It's also a sunk cost, so there's no point worrying about it now. The question is whether or not J is worth $450 plus whatever value you place on 30K miles. For me, the answer would be yes.

Originally Posted by quantumslip View Post
Also I read that it does have an affect on instance upgrades (my connecting flight is currently booked in B class) and would eliminate the instance upgrade chance should something open up. Is that correct?
You can call UA and explain that you only want the upgrade applied to HKG-SFO. That will keep you eligible for an instant upgrade (but note that you need to watch for PN space to open; there's no waitlist for instant upgrades until the CPU process runs).

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
YMMV but I would still upgrade to J. Otherwise you will have overpaid for a seat that does not exist on the planes you will be flying. Y+ on the 3-3-3 sCO 772 isn't terrible, but the lie-flat, if you have a middle aisle seat, will be far better.
If the OP's flight was changed to one without a P+ cabin, a refund of the fare difference to Y is due. It sounds like the OP would come out ahead, since the difference in the co-pay is less than the difference in the fare.
artvandalay likes this.
jsloan is online now  
Old Sep 15, 19, 4:55 pm
  #153  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Programs: United Premier Gold, United Club
Posts: 573
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post


You can call UA and explain that you only want the upgrade applied to HKG-SFO. That will keep you eligible for an instant upgrade (but note that you need to watch for PN space to open; there's no waitlist for instant upgrades until the CPU process runs).
Thanks, should I do the upgrade then call it in to remove the upgrade from the connection, or do this all over the phone?

If the OP's flight was changed to one without a P+ cabin, a refund of the fare difference to Y is due. It sounds like the OP would come out ahead, since the difference in the co-pay is less than the difference in the fare.
Well I am flying relatively soon (in the next 4 weeks) so I won't be affected by the planned reduction yet, though I guess you never know with any surprise swaps.
quantumslip is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 4:57 pm
  #154  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 10,620
Originally Posted by quantumslip View Post
Thanks, should I do the upgrade then call it in to remove the upgrade from the connection, or do this all over the phone?
The results should be the same either way. I'd probably call, on the theory that it might be less work for the agent.
jsloan is online now  
Old Sep 15, 19, 5:05 pm
  #155  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: YUL
Programs: UA 1K, OZ
Posts: 5,881
Had a PP ticket in Jan, EWR-SFO-HKG. Looks like my only option is to fly EWR-NRT if I want PP?
dinoscool3 is online now  
Old Sep 15, 19, 6:06 pm
  #156  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 41,852
Originally Posted by dinoscool3 View Post
Had a PP ticket in Jan, EWR-SFO-HKG. Looks like my only option is to fly EWR-NRT if I want PP?
Not a bad guess. It's probably too early to say definitively what UA will offer. Probably safe to say they won't reroute you on CX. I'd guess they won't do BR either.
Kacee is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 7:35 pm
  #157  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: LAX/KUL
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP
Posts: 2,125
In December/January I'm flying LAX-SFO-HKG and back with GPUs confirmed both ways. Since this is considered "IRROPS" in the CoC due to the changed seating configuration, would UA rebook me onto NH LAX-HND-HKG while maintaining the upgrade, or am I confined to rebooking on UA metal only?

Last edited by dkc192; Sep 15, 19 at 8:31 pm
dkc192 is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 8:25 pm
  #158  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 619
Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
I'm flying LAX-SFO-HKG and back with GPUs confirmed both ways. Since this is considered "IRROPS" in the CoC due to the changed seating configuration, would UA rebook me onto NH LAX-HND-HKG while maintaining the upgrade, or am I confined to rebooking on UA metal only?
If you're flying before the end of September, you might want to try to switch flights anyway since SFO is messed-up with a main runway out of commission. A lot of crazy delays these days at SFO. United doesn't seem to announce the delays until you're actually at any airport waiting at the gate to go to SFO or to leave SFO. Then it is suddenly a 2-4 hour or bigger delay.
Long Zhiren is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 9:36 pm
  #159  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: CLE
Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Posts: 3,722
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I've not flown the CO 772, but understand it's by far the best UA iteration of the B/E Diamond seat in terms of space.

That said, I really like the privacy of the Polaris seat. I understand others may differ, but to me this is a huge consideration.

The lack of air nozzles would be a somewhat lesser concern (I actually bought a nifty battery powered fan at HND after an unbearably warm JL flight).
If you can get the bulkhead D/E grab it. Arguably better than any Polaris seat. Lots of space, legroom, direct aisle access, and never found privacy to be an issue
UA_Flyer, narvik and Kacee like this.
ctownflyer is online now  
Old Sep 15, 19, 10:12 pm
  #160  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PHL
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Raddison Gold
Posts: 3,249
Originally Posted by Long Zhiren View Post
...United doesn't seem to announce the delays until you're actually at any airport waiting at the gate to go to SFO or to leave SFO. Then it is suddenly a 2-4 hour or bigger delay.
I think it is pretty typical anywhere for them to wait til the last second to announce a delay. Often its 10min after the departure time before they announce a delay. If its going to be a 2-4hr delay, I do prefer that they let me know all at once so I can go book another flight or goto the lounge vs incrementally delaying 30min every 30min forcing you to sit there for 4hrs.

Originally Posted by Kacee;31527771.
..actually bought a nifty battery powered fan at HND after an unbearably warm JL flight).
did you have to hold it up for the whole flight

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
I have to think that UA has done some analysis to determine how much pain they can endure before considering going back to 1x. I highly doubt they completely cut either SFO-HKG or EWR-HKG - they are flagship routes for the airline.
Yet PZ is pretty much zeroed out. At least for the Nov/Dec dates I've been looking at.
eng3 is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 10:18 pm
  #161  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 41,852
Originally Posted by eng3 View Post
did you have to hold it up for the whole flight
No, it comes with a stand (and recharges off the USB). Pretty nifty.
Kacee is offline  
Old Sep 16, 19, 12:29 am
  #162  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Programs: 6 year GS, now MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, VX Gold, SkyPeso PLT
Posts: 6,298
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
If the OP's flight was changed to one without a P+ cabin, a refund of the fare difference to Y is due. It sounds like the OP would come out ahead, since the difference in the co-pay is less than the difference in the fare.
I was wondering about this. If I had booked UA in PE, I would be POed beyond belief to be told "oh, just sit in Y." I would not think that people buying PP would be a set you would want to PO like that, but hey, its UA.

Makes me glad that when I looked at our December Trip to SIN and HKG I booked SQ in PE. Not that UA had a PE option to SIN, but still, there is a HUGE difference in PE and Y on UA. I would argue that at least for me, the difference is greater. I can sleep better (yes) in a lie flat, but the difference in how much I sleep is now where near what it is between Y and PE. And UA's food/drink is really not a selling point.
spin88 is offline  
Old Sep 16, 19, 5:06 am
  #163  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: YUL
Programs: UA 1K, OZ
Posts: 5,881
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Not a bad guess. It's probably too early to say definitively what UA will offer. Probably safe to say they won't reroute you on CX. I'd guess they won't do BR either.
I called in last night to see what they were offering. They said I could either get a partial refund, but I’d move down to S class thereby losing my GPU waitlist and my 150% PQMs, or fly through NRT and pay a fare increase for the NH NRT-HKG. Big big big I obviously decided to hang up, and call again tonight.
dinoscool3 is online now  
Old Sep 16, 19, 5:33 am
  #164  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 41,852
Originally Posted by dinoscool3 View Post
I called in last night to see what they were offering. They said I could either get a partial refund, but Id move down to S class thereby losing my GPU waitlist and my 150% PQMs, or fly through NRT and pay a fare increase for the NH NRT-HKG. Big big big I obviously decided to hang up, and call again tonight.
Or you could cancel for a refund.
Kacee is offline  
Old Sep 16, 19, 10:03 am
  #165  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AVP & PEK
Programs: UA 1K MM (soon to be Gold), Hertz PC
Posts: 2,822
Originally Posted by ctownflyer View Post
If you can get the bulkhead D/E grab it. Arguably better than any Polaris seat. Lots of space, legroom, direct aisle access, and never found privacy to be an issue

Just to be clear though: not 1D (as it is right next to the lav)
We're talking strictly row 8: 8E or 8D.
wxguy and EWR764 like this.
narvik is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread