FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Reduced service: ORD-HKG suspended as of 8-Sept-2019 & EWR-EZE suspended as of 26-Oct (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1984262-reduced-service-ord-hkg-suspended-8-sept-2019-ewr-eze-suspended-26-oct.html)

PsiFighter37 Sep 15, 2019 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by quantumslip (Post 31528184)
Figured that this is the best place to post this...

I'm originally booked on HKG-SFO in PP (R class) as part of a larger trip. It was a good price (like $275 differential or so) vs regular economy. I've been wanting to try the new Polaris seat but it's usually out of my price range and not available a lot when I travel. Because of what's going on in HKG the front is wide open and I'm seeing PZ9, and Polaris upgrades for ~$2500 at this time.

Funny enough if I had stuck to economy, I would pay less to upgrade (30k miles + $600 co-pay, vs 30k miles + $450 co-pay from PP, but remember I paid like ~275 more to get into PP). I think they should charge less to upgrade to PP but I guess it only feels that way because of all that's going on.

If I was in economy, I probably would have jumped on this. But since I'm already in PP, because of the higher relative cost I'm leaning toward staying on it. I do think I'll have other opportunities to try out Polaris in the future. So what would you do?

Also I read that it does have an affect on instance upgrades (my connecting flight is currently booked in B class) and would eliminate the instance upgrade chance should something open up. Is that correct?

YMMV but I would still upgrade to J. Otherwise you will have overpaid for a seat that does not exist on the planes you will be flying. Y+ on the 3-3-3 sCO 772 isn't terrible, but the lie-flat, if you have a middle aisle seat, will be far better.

jsloan Sep 15, 2019 3:20 pm

If I was in economy, I probably would have jumped on this. But since I'm already in PP, because of the higher relative cost I'm leaning toward staying on it. I do think I'll have other opportunities to try out Polaris in the future. So what would you do?

I'd upgrade. UA miles are increasingly worthless. Consider the $125 difference an insurance policy against having to sit in Y. It's also a sunk cost, so there's no point worrying about it now. The question is whether or not J is worth $450 plus whatever value you place on 30K miles. For me, the answer would be yes.

Also I read that it does have an affect on instance upgrades (my connecting flight is currently booked in B class) and would eliminate the instance upgrade chance should something open up. Is that correct?

You can call UA and explain that you only want the upgrade applied to HKG-SFO. That will keep you eligible for an instant upgrade (but note that you need to watch for PN space to open; there's no waitlist for instant upgrades until the CPU process runs).

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 31528240)
YMMV but I would still upgrade to J. Otherwise you will have overpaid for a seat that does not exist on the planes you will be flying. Y+ on the 3-3-3 sCO 772 isn't terrible, but the lie-flat, if you have a middle aisle seat, will be far better.

If the OP's flight was changed to one without a P+ cabin, a refund of the fare difference to Y is due. It sounds like the OP would come out ahead, since the difference in the co-pay is less than the difference in the fare.

quantumslip Sep 15, 2019 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31528323)

You can call UA and explain that you only want the upgrade applied to HKG-SFO. That will keep you eligible for an instant upgrade (but note that you need to watch for PN space to open; there's no waitlist for instant upgrades until the CPU process runs).

Thanks, should I do the upgrade then call it in to remove the upgrade from the connection, or do this all over the phone?

If the OP's flight was changed to one without a P+ cabin, a refund of the fare difference to Y is due. It sounds like the OP would come out ahead, since the difference in the co-pay is less than the difference in the fare.
Well I am flying relatively soon (in the next 4 weeks) so I won't be affected by the planned reduction yet, though I guess you never know with any surprise swaps.

jsloan Sep 15, 2019 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by quantumslip (Post 31528436)
Thanks, should I do the upgrade then call it in to remove the upgrade from the connection, or do this all over the phone?

The results should be the same either way. I'd probably call, on the theory that it might be less work for the agent.

dinoscool3 Sep 15, 2019 4:05 pm

Had a PP ticket in Jan, EWR-SFO-HKG. Looks like my only option is to fly EWR-NRT if I want PP?

Kacee Sep 15, 2019 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by dinoscool3 (Post 31528467)
Had a PP ticket in Jan, EWR-SFO-HKG. Looks like my only option is to fly EWR-NRT if I want PP?

Not a bad guess. It's probably too early to say definitively what UA will offer. Probably safe to say they won't reroute you on CX. I'd guess they won't do BR either.

dkc192 Sep 15, 2019 6:35 pm

In December/January I'm flying LAX-SFO-HKG and back with GPUs confirmed both ways. Since this is considered "IRROPS" in the CoC due to the changed seating configuration, would UA rebook me onto NH LAX-HND-HKG while maintaining the upgrade, or am I confined to rebooking on UA metal only?

Long Zhiren Sep 15, 2019 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192 (Post 31528790)
I'm flying LAX-SFO-HKG and back with GPUs confirmed both ways. Since this is considered "IRROPS" in the CoC due to the changed seating configuration, would UA rebook me onto NH LAX-HND-HKG while maintaining the upgrade, or am I confined to rebooking on UA metal only?

If you're flying before the end of September, you might want to try to switch flights anyway since SFO is messed-up with a main runway out of commission. A lot of crazy delays these days at SFO. United doesn't seem to announce the delays until you're actually at any airport waiting at the gate to go to SFO or to leave SFO. Then it is suddenly a 2-4 hour or bigger delay.

ctownflyer Sep 15, 2019 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31527771)
I've not flown the CO 772, but understand it's by far the best UA iteration of the B/E Diamond seat in terms of space.

That said, I really like the privacy of the Polaris seat. I understand others may differ, but to me this is a huge consideration.

The lack of air nozzles would be a somewhat lesser concern (I actually bought a nifty battery powered fan at HND after an unbearably warm JL flight).

If you can get the bulkhead D/E grab it. Arguably better than any Polaris seat. Lots of space, legroom, direct aisle access, and never found privacy to be an issue

eng3 Sep 15, 2019 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Long Zhiren (Post 31528915)
...United doesn't seem to announce the delays until you're actually at any airport waiting at the gate to go to SFO or to leave SFO. Then it is suddenly a 2-4 hour or bigger delay.

I think it is pretty typical anywhere for them to wait til the last second to announce a delay. Often its 10min after the departure time before they announce a delay. If its going to be a 2-4hr delay, I do prefer that they let me know all at once so I can go book another flight or goto the lounge vs incrementally delaying 30min every 30min forcing you to sit there for 4hrs.

Originally Posted by Kacee;31527771.
..actually bought a nifty battery powered fan at HND after an unbearably warm JL flight).

did you have to hold it up for the whole flight

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 31527888)
I have to think that UA has done some analysis to determine how much pain they can endure before considering going back to 1x. I highly doubt they completely cut either SFO-HKG or EWR-HKG - they are flagship routes for the airline.

Yet PZ is pretty much zeroed out. At least for the Nov/Dec dates I've been looking at.

Kacee Sep 15, 2019 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by eng3 (Post 31529157)
did you have to hold it up for the whole flight

No, it comes with a stand (and recharges off the USB). Pretty nifty.

spin88 Sep 15, 2019 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31528323)

I was wondering about this. If I had booked UA in PE, I would be POed beyond belief to be told "oh, just sit in Y." I would not think that people buying PP would be a set you would want to PO like that, but hey, its UA.

Makes me glad that when I looked at our December Trip to SIN and HKG I booked SQ in PE. Not that UA had a PE option to SIN, but still, there is a HUGE difference in PE and Y on UA. I would argue that at least for me, the difference is greater. I can sleep better (yes) in a lie flat, but the difference in how much I sleep is now where near what it is between Y and PE. And UA's food/drink is really not a selling point.

dinoscool3 Sep 16, 2019 4:06 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31528617)
Not a bad guess. It's probably too early to say definitively what UA will offer. Probably safe to say they won't reroute you on CX. I'd guess they won't do BR either.

I called in last night to see what they were offering. They said I could either get a partial refund, but I’d move down to S class thereby losing my GPU waitlist and my 150% PQMs, or fly through NRT and pay a fare increase for the NH NRT-HKG. Big big big :td: I obviously decided to hang up, and call again tonight.

Kacee Sep 16, 2019 4:33 am

Originally Posted by dinoscool3 (Post 31529759)
I called in last night to see what they were offering. They said I could either get a partial refund, but I’d move down to S class thereby losing my GPU waitlist and my 150% PQMs, or fly through NRT and pay a fare increase for the NH NRT-HKG. Big big big :td: I obviously decided to hang up, and call again tonight.

Or you could cancel for a refund.

narvik Sep 16, 2019 9:03 am

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 31529076)
If you can get the bulkhead D/E grab it. Arguably better than any Polaris seat. Lots of space, legroom, direct aisle access, and never found privacy to be an issue

Just to be clear though: not 1D (as it is right next to the lav)
We're talking strictly row 8: 8E or 8D.