Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever been put on a bus by United due to cancellation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques

My family was booked to fly BRU-IAD-LGA. The flight to IAD was fine, but there were apparently some bad storms in NYC last night. So United put them on a midnight bus to New York. I've never heard of such a thing? My wife is Prem Gold thanks to my MM matching status, but that did not get her a hotel at Dulles and a flight the next morning. I'm kind of shocked about all this. Not the weather of course, but why not a hotel and a flight the next day?

The good news is that UA pushed out their return flight a day later for no change fee. The bad news is that they have a connecting flight from BRU but on a separate ticket. It's with Brussels Airlines, but of course they don't care about the United cancellation or that she is Star Gold. They want €650 euros to change what was a €60 ticket.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by stimpy
So United put them on a midnight bus to New York.
I would have asked for a midnight train to Georgia. But then you'd be dealing with Delta.

To answer your question, I have heard of airlines offering buses (or taxis or rental cars).Did your wife try to push back and ask for a hotel and flight next day? I suppose UA could say no to the hotel because it's "weather" but I don't think they could have reasonably denied her an alternate flight and forced a bus. If they denied the hotel you're wife would have to decide what she wanted to do.

Sorry to hear about the separate connecting ticket...doubt there's much to be done there.
Rumples likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:00 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Yes, the use of busing does occur but is not common. It can be used if an aircraft has landed at an alternate airport, for example. Busing from WAS-NYC is pretty unusual but for some, it may have been the preferred situation. A couple of hours of busing may be preferred vs being pushed out to the next day for a flight.

I have been bussed (2 hours) from SFO to a nearby UX outstation when weather prevented flights.

Separate tickets always carry a risk of a major delay -- it is easy to get comfortable with the idea air travel as regular as the trains in Japan or Switzerland, but it isn't.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:24 am

Programs: UA GS
A friend of mine used to manage the operations for United at MKE and he said he put more people on buses to ORD than planes because they were always the first flights to be dropped when ORD operations were slowed.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:33 am

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Same scenario happened to me long time ago (I think 2006) in SFO. Lots of residual weather cancellations throughout the system due to a storm in DEN and my SFO to EUG flight was cancelled and UA offered a bus the next morning with hotel. That being a 8+ hour drive I pushed back hard and eventually got put on AS/Horizon via SEA the next morning still getting me back to EUG before the bus would have. Only myself and 2-3 other parties near the front of the line at the gate seemed to get this option though due to capacity on low AS, most got stuck with the bus.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:13 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
In Germany when I was younger I've been put on a train by LH where a flight was very delayed or cancelled (or misconnect). They'd print a ticket on BP stock which the train conducter would accept without query. Didn't take much longer than flying really, but Germany is small and their trains are fast. I was 13, *G and travelling alone from South Africa, so all quite exciting
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
In Germany when I was younger I've been put on a train by LH where a flight was very delayed or cancelled (or misconnect). They'd print a ticket on BP stock which the train conducter would accept without query. Didn't take much longer than flying really, but Germany is small and their trains are fast. I was 13, *G and travelling alone from South Africa, so all quite exciting
This is actually possible with UA by 2V codeshare/partnership (realistically, ex-EWR within the northeast corridor, although theoretically possible at BWI, MKE, BUR, etc.)
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Years ago, after a day of bad weather, on USAir, the flight PHL-DCA was delayed enough to hit the DCA curfew. They offered buses (but only spaces for 50% of the passengers). That was a trip to remember, the driver of the bus I was on did not know the way, run out of fuel in the middle, used the wrong fuel type at the gas station which led the bus do die somewhere on 395 (almost there for those who don't know DC geography). And then did not want to let us off the bus. A mini mutiny ensued and finally, I ended up stopping a taxi on 395 (not the one-lane country road mind you) and heading home. That was one hell of a night.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Once got to ride a bus from LIT (Little Rock) to MEM (Memphis) because of a flight cancellation. Of course that was in 1992 or thereabouts. I'm getting old...….
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:56 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
B6 has offered us buses from San Diego to Long Beach. As we were in Long Beach at the time and planning to drive to San Diego to catch the flight we refused after making sure we'd be allowed to board in LGB
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, the use of busing does occur but is not common. It can be used if an aircraft has landed at an alternate airport, for example. Busing from WAS-NYC is pretty unusual but for some, it may have been the preferred situation. A couple of hours of busing may be preferred vs being pushed out to the next day for a flight.

I have been bussed (2 hours) from SFO to a nearby UX outstation when weather prevented flights.

Separate tickets always carry a risk of a major delay -- it is easy to get comfortable with the idea air travel as regular as the trains in Japan or Switzerland, but it isn't.
A couple hours is one thing. IAD to LGA is 4 1/2 to 5 hours by bus.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
A couple hours is one thing. IAD to LGA is 4 1/2 to 5 hours by bus.
Heck, LGA to EWR is 4 1/2 to 5 hours by bus!

Personally, I would want the choice. I can see where if the loads were high the following day or days that UA would get a bus, knowing that would end up being faster.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Never been bussed, been limo'ed between Dulles and Reagan a few times in the past and re booked on AA to get me home.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes, UA (as well as AA & DL) do use buses and other ground transportation in order to get people to their destination. It is important not to be passive in IRROPS. Most agents would presume that people want to get to their destination and if UA's first flight at 8:30 was sold out, the next one is not until 12:10. But,others would rather spend the night and fly when space becomes available or ask for a reroute on AA xDCA.

The bottom line is that it is unclear what the family asked for. If they simply accepted the bus vouchers (or it was a charter) UA's reroute was reasonable.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
If a flight bound for SNA was delayed and would miss the 23:00 curfew, UA would typically land the plane in LAX and ferry those pax who wish to continue to SNA by bus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.