Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Help needed - connecting flight cancelled, checked bags

Old Aug 22, 19, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO

Hi all,

My friend is flying UA today (he's in the air right now) and his connecting flight is cancelled. He gate checked a bag to his final destination. He was rebooked to an alternate airport but that airport doesn't work for him and he wants to just get off in the connecting city (EWR), get his bag and will find another way to his destination (flights are booked full today and tomorrow).

What's the best way for him to go about getting his bag at EWR? Baggage claim? Gate for alternate airport flight? Customer service desk?

Any advice appreciated...
Old Aug 22, 19, 6:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP
They will hold on to it and try to check it through to his final destination. He will have to go to a baggage office and request that they pull the bag. Depending on how backed up they are, this could take 1-12 hours in my experience.
Old Aug 22, 19, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Presuming that the onwards flight is domestic, he may be in for a very long wait and, if the new flight is anytime soon his bag may go anyway.
Old Aug 22, 19, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the replies - yes it is all domestic. there is no way to request that they pull the bags anywhere other than the baggage office? i checked his reservation and the "track my bags" feature has updated the bags and they now display the alternate airport (SFO-ALB). He is confirmed on the EWR to ALB flight. do the bags automatically reroute to ALB? he was originally scheduled to SYR.
Old Aug 22, 19, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by hoth300 View Post
thanks for the replies - yes it is all domestic. there is no way to request that they pull the bags anywhere other than the baggage office? i checked his reservation and the "track my bags" feature has updated the bags and they now display the alternate airport (SFO-ALB). He is confirmed on the EWR to ALB flight. do the bags automatically reroute to ALB? he was originally scheduled to SYR.
Track my bags is very accurate from my experience
Old Aug 22, 19, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
yes, bags would be re-routes based on the updated itinerary.

Not sure the specifics in the back, but I believe the tags will follow the updated PNR, and when that gets changed, any scan of the bag will show the new destination. Iíve definitely noted an extra sticker on the tag when being rerouted on a different flight - though not always. I presume thereís a place where these can be printed when bags are being transferred in the back, so they have a new barcode/destination. YMMV.

As for trying to get them pulled - they should be able to on request - but it can take a while. Itís been years since Iíve tried, but remember asking to have this done at ORD when we misconnected, and the next flight with availability to YYZ was 24 hours later. After getting scolded about how Iím not supposed to be getting bags back at a connection point (when I, by the way...wasnít supposed to have an overnight connection...), they were able to get it done...but I think it took 2 and a half hours to have access. Depending on when you are able to request it, and how close it is to the departure of the connection, it may be able to be retrieved, and may not.
Old Aug 22, 19, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Presuming you can reach him and he's got Wifi, get him to contact UA via Twitter and have them remove the last segment (EWR-ALB). The bags should then terminate at EWR, despite what is on the tag.

I'm guessing they are backed up, but Twitter is likely his best option while he's still in the air (although presuming he's on UA213 then he's just about to land anyway)
Old Aug 23, 19, 4:48 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post

Track my bags is very accurate from my experience
Not mine of late.
Old Aug 23, 19, 5:26 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
The key is, the earlier, the better. The tag data (not the actual tag) gets updated when the itin changes. In the sorter system, each time itís scanned, that new data is read. Once itís on a plane, it isnít getting scanned again until itís offloaded from that flight. Itís all automated. Manually pulling a bag is labor intensive, and spare manpower, especially during irregular operations is few and far between, and as mentioned before, can be very time intensive
Old Aug 23, 19, 5:51 am

Is this strange? I can't recall UA automatically rebooking a passenger to an airport 2+ hours away from the original without asking the passenger.
Old Aug 23, 19, 7:38 am
Original Poster

so to be clear, I was the one who called and asked that he be rerouted to ALB. There was nothing available to anywhere near SYR until saturday and figured it was best to lock something in and it could be changed or cancelled later.

when he landed a EWR he was initially ok with going to ALB and either overnighting there or renting a car and driving (i was asking the question about pulling the bag based on the possibility that he may want to terminate in EWR). But then the ALB flight got delayed and he wanted to bail. We were able to get UA to cancel the EWR-ALB flight from his itinerary, keeping the return portion of the reservation intact. He went to the baggage claim office and they told him that since his bags were tagged to SYR and that flight was cancelled, his bags would be flown to SYR and delivered to him there and he filled out the appropriate paperwork. The track my bags feature is showing SFO-EWR as the itinerary and that the bags are "enroute to carousel" at EWR. Hoping that the baggage agent's intervention will get the bags to SYR and delivered as promised and that they don't end up in ALB or stay in EWR. Will update later.

Thanks again for the insights!

Search this Thread