Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQDs/PQMs/PQSs in 2019 for Elite Status in 2020"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous years' thread -- [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

PQDs are mostly earned by flying, but not all elites are subject to PQD requirements. PQDs can also be earned by Economy Plus purchases (by flight or subscription), although for anyone seeking to qualify for Gold or above an annual plan (min. $499) gets you nothing. There is no way to "pay" UA to fulfill PQD requirement in the qualifying year. There may be a status buy-up in January of the next year -- not cheap and does not come in small increments,
Non-USA registered MP members are exempt from PQD requirements.
Others can be exempt from PQDs up to the Premier Platinum level by having a Chase PresidentalPlus credit card {not open to new members} or by annually spending $25,000 or more as a primary MP branded Chase credit cardholder.
PQMs can be earned by flying UA or various flight partners and by various bonuses related to flying (class or service, promos, ...)
PQMs can be purchased by Premier Accelerator purchases. Generally, these purchase do not earn PQDs, starting in 2019, some PQM purchases do earn PQDs Buying PQMs, PQSs, and PQDs on mystatus.United.com / email
Certain legacy (not available to new customers) Chase MP credit cards earn PQMs or FPQMs

related threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Mileage Run Discussion
Mileage Run Deals
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's MR planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality
And now UA's Explore destinations

Will UA Grant 2019 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2018?
and previously - Will UA Grant 2017 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2019 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2019 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2019 Consolidated]
Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2017-2019 Consolidated]

Last year's last resort
2019 UA MP elite status buy-up offers(for higher status than earned in 2018)
2018 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2017)
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQDs/PQMs/PQSs in 2019 for Elite Status in 2020"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:15 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gene2632
Thanks for all of the input. Now one more question, do dollars spent on international upgrades from Y to J--reward miles plus dollars--count toward PDQ? ...
Sorry, no
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:47 am

I am looking for 1000 miles to get Silver status. As I am based in the Netherlands, I can not request US Credit Cards. Is there a simple way get these miles cheap?
What I found is that I can book a first class ticket from LAX to SAN, use premier accelerator, wait for the 1000 extra miles and then cancel the ticket (within 24 hours). This will cost me 93 euro. That is about 10.4 $ cpm.
Is there another way?

ps If muji want to donate, I would love him/her forever of course
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by peterz84
Is there another way?
Other than flying, no.

Have you met the four UA segments requirement?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:58 am

Yes I will have 8 of them by the end of the year (one trip planned in sept, with Lufthansa 747 AMS-MCO).
If there is an option to fly in weekends, that's not a problem. But cheaper than 93 euro is hard to find, especially in Europe. Any advise is welcome.
I see there is a time-limited option to buy extra miles now in my profile, but its 160 dollars for 1000 miles. Thats worse.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:11 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

I see there is a time-limited option to buy extra miles now in my profile, but its 160 dollars for 1000 miles. Thats worse.
I'd be very surprised if that option involved EQMs @:-)
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes I will have 8 of them by the end of the year (one trip planned in sept, with Lufthansa 747 AMS-MCO).
If there is an option to fly in weekends, that's not a problem. But cheaper than 93 euro is hard to find, especially in Europe. Any advise is welcome.
Are you planning to credit the LH flight to UA's MileagePlus?

As Kacee noted, flying is the only other option. It doesn't have to be UA, since you've met the segment minimum. Just be sure you've thoroughly read the Partners Credit page if it's another *A airline.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:27 am

I'm not sure what EQM are (same as PQM?), but the offers does apply for PQM:
https : //promotions.united.com/offers/PQMSale?int_source=loyalty&int_medium=uacom&int_ca mpaign=dqk

I am planning to credit the LH flights to UA (supplied my UA number), but I already counted in the miles for this trip.
I now have 14,147 out of 25,000. I should get 9946 PQM for the upcoming flight, bringing it to 24,093 total

So bad I took a trip to MCO this year with AA (booked 3 days in advance, UA ticket was 1500 euro)
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:51 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I'm not sure what EQM are (same as PQM?), but the offers does apply for PQM:

Well, well, well ....I AM surprised.

Apparently old Elite QM are now Premiere QM
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:23 am

Programs: united
Need help earning segments

I fly out of IAH and have been 1k for about 5 years now. I meet it with segments as I do many short, same-day trips for work. This year, I can tell I will be short of the 120 needed to meet 1k. I am looking for cheap routes to get some additional segments. I have done (roundtrip) IAH- MSY for under $100 before and also drove to Austin and did AUS-DFW or MSY for about $200 (this route has a stop in Houston, so I earned 4 segments on this roundtrip). I am no longer finding prices like these. I also do not know what is the best way to search for cheap flights with no destination in mind. I would like to do 1 day travel. Help please
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:54 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
A standard approach for a situation like this is to SDC a future flight to add a connection, earning an additional PQS. SDC AAA-BBB to AAA-CCC-BBB

Do this a for a few future flights and you can add multiple PQS. If you are qualifying on PQS, you are likely a domestic heavy flyer and should have many opportunities to add a connection segment.

You can use Google flights with a known origin and an blank destination to find cheapest flights.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
On track for Platinum, have PQD spend for 1K, short on PQM

Hello,

This is my first time posting here, long time lurker, so please bear with me. I've been a United flyer for close to 10 years now, and finally an uptick in my work and personal travel has put me on track to be UA Platinum (currently Gold). Based on flights I have scheduled through the end of the year, I will have 78,964 PQM (putting me on track for Platinum), and a total of $18,777 PQD (which meets the threshold for 1K).

I have about 12 trips coming up, some booked in P or C class domestically in the US, and most are economy throughout the US.

Should I purchase the Premier Accelerators to get the PQM requirement? Should I upgrade flights to get the PQM (this seems quite expensive)? Or should I wait until early 2020 and see if United targets me for a buy-up? If targeted for buy-up to 1K, would it be a reasonable fee (based on previous experiences)?
Should I just do a mileage run? I have about 3 free weekends through November/Dec I might be able to squeeze that in.

Thank you in advance to all you savvy travelers for your advice, and of course for your patience in case this is not the right place to be posting this!

All the best,
-R
Dpetryszyn likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:07 pm

I'm usually a fan of mileage runs.

Don't know where you're based, but Singapore + a domestic transcon should do the trick. EWR/IAD-SFO-SIN RT is around $1,400 for most of November. Out Friday. Back Sunday. Or purchase an award ticket to SFO then do SFO-SIN turnaround (2 hour layover) for $900. I like SIN because it offers a nice balance of total travel time, price, and PQM/BIS.

IMO, I'd rather guarantee 1K than hope for a targeted offer.
DCFlyIAD and Ricky Wilson like this.

Last edited by SFO_LOW_CLOUDS; Aug 21, 2019 at 6:13 pm
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
Thank you for the advice and your quick reply! I guess I should have mentioned my home/hub is IAD, so I think your suggestion would work perfectly; I was looking at some mileage runs to Singapore and trying to convince my SO to take the plunge for the mileage run for me (different story, but this would at least get her to Gold, possibly even Plat!).

Thanks again!
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ricky Wilson
I was looking at some mileage runs to Singapore and trying to convince my SO to take the plunge for the mileage run for me
I concur. The cheapest way to get extra PQM is by flying, and you can't count on an offer if you're that far away from the target. (And, even if you could, I imagine it would be pricy).
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, Ricky Wilson!

You could also combine a mileage run with Premier Accelerator if your chosen mileage run doesn't quite hit it.

Originally Posted by SFO_LOW_CLOUDS
I'd rather guarantee 1K than hope for a targeted offer.
Definitely. The buy-ups are pretty expensive.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.