Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQDs/PQMs/PQSs in 2019 for Elite Status in 2020"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous years' thread -- [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

PQDs are mostly earned by flying, but not all elites are subject to PQD requirements. PQDs can also be earned by Economy Plus purchases (by flight or subscription), although for anyone seeking to qualify for Gold or above an annual plan (min. $499) gets you nothing. There is no way to "pay" UA to fulfill PQD requirement in the qualifying year. There may be a status buy-up in January of the next year -- not cheap and does not come in small increments,
Non-USA registered MP members are exempt from PQD requirements.
Others can be exempt from PQDs up to the Premier Platinum level by having a Chase PresidentalPlus credit card {not open to new members} or by annually spending $25,000 or more as a primary MP branded Chase credit cardholder.
PQMs can be earned by flying UA or various flight partners and by various bonuses related to flying (class or service, promos, ...)
PQMs can be purchased by Premier Accelerator purchases. Generally, these purchase do not earn PQDs, starting in 2019, some PQM purchases do earn PQDs Buying PQMs, PQSs, and PQDs on mystatus.United.com / email
Certain legacy (not available to new customers) Chase MP credit cards earn PQMs or FPQMs

related threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Mileage Run Discussion
Mileage Run Deals
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's MR planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality
And now UA's Explore destinations

Will UA Grant 2019 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2018?
and previously - Will UA Grant 2017 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2019 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2019 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2019 Consolidated]
Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2017-2019 Consolidated]

Last year's last resort
2019 UA MP elite status buy-up offers(for higher status than earned in 2018)
2018 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2017)
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQDs/PQMs/PQSs in 2019 for Elite Status in 2020"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mr8
Probably won't help you double your PQMs, but don't forget the 500PQM minimum on shorter flights ...
For elites -- those not yet Silver, get actual mileage
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:55 pm

Depending on what your requirements are UA Gold may or may not be the best *A program for you. Other programs, like OZ will give you Gold for as long as 4 years after hitting 50,000 miles. They also have benefits that UA doesn't offer such as lifetime Gold after flying 500,000 miles across all *A partners (UA requires 1,000,000 entirely on UA metal). The primary reason you would choose UA over these programs would be:
  • You intend on flying UA regularly and using the Premier benefits that go with it (i.e. free E+ seatings, 3 checked bags at 70 lbs, zone 1 boarding, etc.)
  • Will be flying on the cheapest fares on the * network (i.e. K fares on UA which still earn 100% PQM) and are willing to commit to that year in and year out
Supposing you do want to move ahead with UA, the main question I have for you is:
  • Where do you reside?
    • Non-US residents need only fly 50,000 miles with 4 segments on UA operated flights to qualify for Gold
    • US residents have an earning requirement unless you have a certain UA credit card (I'll let those familiar with this requirement comment on that)
In terms of finding the cheapest routings, that will very much also depend on where you reside. For instance, if you live in say Toronto, a flight to Asia or South Africa can easily get you 20,000 PQM roundtrip. As a matter of fact, last year, I took 2 flights to Asia (YOW>HKG and YYZ>SIN) which racked up around 40,000 PQM for myself due to my routings. In total I spent around $1,700 CAD on the two tickets. If you live in Europe there can also be good deals but keep in mind flights to Asia will only rack up 12,000-14,000 PQMs due to Geography. On the other hand, a flight to Australia/New Zealand can easily rack up 20,000 miles there. If you're specifically travelling from the UK, remember you'll pay a passenger duty on the outbound segment. There are ways around this (i.e. leaving from Dublin, Paris or nearby Inverness)Flights to North America aren't as great an option from there due to TATL flights now getting hit with Basic Economy not to mention that a flight like LAX > LHR will only net you 12,000 miles in an ideal scenario. From LATAM, in particular, South America, your best bets would be Europe, Africa and Asia routing through the US. FT has a forum dedicated to spotting fare deals and sharing it with the community, I'd recommend looking there. Another resource I use is Scott's Cheap Flights which is a free email newsletter sent out 1-2 times per day that shares fare deals based on where you live. I have an email filter set up so it only leaves fare deals that involve the * carriers.

In terms of what's a good price try to aim for the miles to cost you 2 to 3 cents (USD) per mile when pricing out itineraries. Typically the cheapest way to get to Gold will also happen to be the method that requires taking the fewest number of trips.

Hope that provides some guidance.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by fattygoose
Interested in this topic as well. My travel pattern usually involves SFO to east coast business travel. I mostly book Z/P fare for non ps route. What are some strategies to maximize PQM in this case? I tried to do SDC but couldn't boost PQM too much due to the routing rule. For example I tried to add a layover at IAH for a SFO-ORD, but that's about it. Most SDC options add minimal value, because layover at DEN/SLC/etc doesn't deviate too far from the original route.

My goal is to hit 1K for GPU and I'm Gold now, but I think the strategy can be somewhat similar to OP's case.
Check out flights to SIN or SYD. You’re near SFO; I fly from LAX. Next week you can find LAX/SIN fares from $688 to $788 total. It earns 17,888 PQMs. You stay in SIN for 2 hours 15 minutes. SIN is often the best destination to accumulate qualifying and lifetime miles.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:12 pm

Need a cheap way to get 10,558 more miles for status upgrade

Hello all. I'm a new user here. I have recently flown multiple overseas longhauls to Hong Kong. I have met the PQD qualifier but I am 10,558 miles short of receiving my next status upgrade. I know I have plenty of time before the end of the year but I don't really have any plans to travel much more this year where I would earn enough miles to qualify without doing some sort of points run. Any ideas on some good places to look?

Saw a decent deal to Singapore where I would also earn 3 times the miles on flights to Singapore before the end of May. Prices were pretty reasonable but was wondering if there was any other options out there.

Based in Tampa but frequently fly up to ORD

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Noah
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, ngarcia79
As this is a regular discussion area, will merge this in a "consolidated thread"

Originally Posted by ngarcia79
...Any help would be greatly appreciated. ....
These threads may help
UA/Star Alliance: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Mileage Run Discussion
Mileage Run Deals
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's MR planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 9, 2019 at 10:02 pm Reason: 2019 *A thread
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I favor SIN; prices are great right now—as low as $588 from LAX. You might want to check SYD via IAH and GUM.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Searched here and elsewhere but can't find what I'm looking for.

Starting from scratch (no miles/no status on any airline), what is the quickest, fastest way possible to achieve MP Premier Platinum? No United credit cards, but probably every other card :-) Fly F or J to SIN or SYD a few rimes? Or? Try to add a ton of stops? I'm on west coast USA if it matters. Thanks in advance, and appreciate suggestions!
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
This hardly seems practical, but since you did only specify "fastest"... off the top of my head something like SFO/LAX-IAD-SFO-SIN and v/v in full J will earn a little more than 75,000 PQM and certainly more than 9k PQD.

If you are interested in a slightly more economical way of dumping $9,000 into a status run and getting 75k PQM right away, I would also look at full J to GUM via creative routings.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
Searched here and elsewhere but can't find what I'm looking for.

Starting from scratch (no miles/no status on any airline), what is the quickest, fastest way possible to achieve MP Premier Platinum? No United credit cards, but probably every other card :-) Fly F or J to SIN or SYD a few rimes? Or? Try to add a ton of stops? I'm on west coast USA if it matters. Thanks in advance, and appreciate suggestions!
UA doesn't offer F; flying Z fares from SFO to SIN three times would get you Gold and 5 times would get you Platinum. You could do it in a little over a week if you were really motivated.

That said -- why do you want status, and Platinum in particular? Platinum isn't much of an upgrade over Gold.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:19 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Wouldn't the fastest way be to marry or move in with a MM+ Plat and have them designate you as their companion? whether that's more cost-effective than dumping $9k into a status run depends on whether marriage/inheritance is involved and the terms of the prenup etc I guess

Last edited by Zorak; Apr 29, 2019 at 12:54 pm Reason: Remove confused remark made while posts were being moved
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo

Starting from scratch (no miles/no status on any airline), what is the quickest, fastest way possible to achieve MP Premier Platinum? ....
Any cost constraints?
From the thread's wiki
Originally Posted by ;wiki