Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Something Rotten in The State of Denmark -GPU waitlist issue after ticket date change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Something Rotten in The State of Denmark -GPU waitlist issue after ticket date change

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k 2.5mm NZ Elite IHG

In June I booked a ticket[w class] AKL- SFO-LHR leaving 22/8. Applied a GPU with flight wide open until today. In July I was upgraded to PP. Today I checked in at T24 and found I was not on the wait list.for Polaris.
Rang 1k line and was told becos return date on ticket was changed, I would have to go to the airport to be checked in and then be placed on the waitlist. I remonstrated... how was I already upgraded to PP
without airport checkin?. Waited 10 mins ."I was wrong" "Let me check you in" "now check your status" I did this and noticed I was now no1 on PP upgrade list and no 3 on Polaris waitlist behind 2 people I was ahead of on the PP waitlist..More waiting... Finally after 1 hour of the call I was advised. "dont wait any longer. We will call you".
There are obviously some glitches in UA's upgrade software.
The Agent who helped sort this out was actually very helpful ,determined to fix it up,and had a great attitude. Full marks to her.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 20, 2019 at 9:08 pm Reason: Please create thread titles that are specific and descriptive
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to Flyertalk!

I’m confused. Are you flying to LHR or CPH?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by kale73
I’m confused. Are you flying to LHR or CPH?
It's from Shakespeare, and not to be taken literally. https://literarydevices.net/somethin...te-of-denmark/
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For LHR and phantom upgrades, a better Shakespeare line might be "to be or not to be...."
greytop13 and higher_flyer like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It's from Shakespeare, and not to be taken literally. https://literarydevices.net/somethin...te-of-denmark/
Missed the allusion while skimming the post. Mea culpa.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k 2.5mm NZ Elite IHG
Funnily enough, all my LHR upgrades have cleared
Kannai likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:45 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
I thought that the quote in the headline had to do with another person who won't go to CPH either. On the other hand, he isn't going to LHR either, but to WAW.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FU24
I did this and noticed I was now no1 on PP upgrade list and no 3 on Polaris waitlist behind 2 people I was ahead of on the PP waitlist..More waiting... Finally after 1 hour of the call I was advised. "dont wait any longer. We will call you".
There are obviously some glitches in UA's upgrade software.
There are likely some glitches in UA's upgrade software, but these aren't them.

First of all, the agent was correct that your ticket needed to be in sync before you could be on the waitlist. It wasn't true that you needed to go to the airport, though, as you found out.

That said, the cleared list is alphabetical. The fact that you're first on it is merely a function of your last name. (FYI: OP is talking about UA 916, AKL-SFO)

For a while -- and possibly still today -- people who paid for Premium Plus R class (deep discount PE) have been erroneously showing as cleared upgrades.. so it might even be that ING, D and ING, W are paid PE customers. It's also possible that they're 1K passengers on a V+ fare.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
There are likely some glitches in UA's upgrade software, but these aren't them.

First of all, the agent was correct that your ticket needed to be in sync before you could be on the waitlist. It wasn't true that you needed to go to the airport, though, as you found out.

That said, the cleared list is alphabetical. The fact that you're first on it is merely a function of your last name. (FYI: OP is talking about UA 916, AKL-SFO)

For a while -- and possibly still today -- people who paid for Premium Plus R class (deep discount PE) have been erroneously showing as cleared upgrades.. so it might even be that ING, D and ING, W are paid PE customers. It's also possible that they're 1K passengers on a V+ fare.
Back in June, booked O and A fares between EWR and TLV were all showing as upgrades on the PE upgrade list.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
I guess I am too politically active, I could have sworn that this was going to be some sort of retaliation over Trump and Greenland! Nice Shakespeare reference however.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
It's also possible that they're 1K passengers on a V+ fare.
1Ks on V+ fares (by which I assume you mean V or higher) can get upgraded to PP? I've never seen mention of that before.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kannai
1Ks on V+ fares (by which I assume you mean V or higher) can get upgraded to PP? I've never seen mention of that before.
Well, yes, by using a GPU.

OP is a 1K who purchased a W fare, was upgraded to P+, and was waitlisted for J. Any 1K with a V fare or higher would have been ahead of OP on the upgrade list.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For LHR and phantom upgrades, a better Shakespeare line might be "to be or not to be...."
But does Polaris even have a seat 2B?
narvik likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.