Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Book through United or Chase UR?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by garykung
I understand OP specifically asks for UA. But don't forget - WN flies to HNL as well.

So OP is not limited to use UA as the UR transfer partner.
An excellent point - and no change fees on WN too @:-)
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: American Airlines, Delta, United, Southwest
If you end up wanting to transfer UR points to United the good news is that the transfer is instantaneous. I think it's the same for Southwest but I don't recall clearly.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:29 pm

If you are going for a direct flight from say den to hnl on united, you can also consider checking singapore air to see if 35k round trip (economy saver) is available, as UR points can transfer there.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

I’m not sure if my reply went through a few hours ago .

1. What is WN when referring to flying to Hawaii ?

2. Is the higher conversion rate with a Chase Sapphire worth delaying booking airfare with our current points from the Chase Ink Bus cards ?

3. Anybody ever use Aeroplan or Krisflyer ? I saw them mentioned on TA . If this is something I should consider , let me know how they work .

Thanks for all the comments !
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by coloradotraveler
I’m not sure if my reply went through a few hours ago .

1. What is WN when referring to flying to Hawaii ?

2. Is the higher conversion rate with a Chase Sapphire worth delaying booking airfare with our current points from the Chase Ink Bus cards ?

3. Anybody ever use Aeroplan or Krisflyer ? I saw them mentioned on TA . If this is something I should consider , let me know how they work .

Thanks for all the comments !
WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by getagb
Consider getting the Sapphire Reserve credit card before booking your trip. You could easily come out ahead.
Will delaying the booking of airfare travel in a few weeks in order to have the Chase Sapphire and take a few months to spend the $4000 to get the bonus be worth it ? It converts at 1:5 and our Chase Ink Bus Preferred converts at 1.25 .

Originally Posted by rapatelrocky
If you are going for a direct flight from say den to hnl on united, you can also consider checking singapore air to see if 35k round trip (economy saver) is available, as UR points can transfer there.
I read something about Singapore Air as Krisflyer and also heard something about Aeroplan. How do these work ?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 22, 2019 at 4:37 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Will delaying the booking of airfare travel in a few weeks in order to have the Chase Sapphire and take a few months to spend the $4000 to get the bonus be worth it ? It converts at 1:5 and our Chase Ink Bus Preferred converts at 1.25 .
If you want to use the UR points to purchase a ticket directly (Chase portal) yes, absolutely. Your UR points from the Ink card will become worth 1.5 cents instead of 1.25 cents. If transferring, it doesn't matter as much because you don't gain anything.

I read something about Singapore Air as Krisflyer and also heard something about Aeroplan. How do these work ?
Like any other frequent flyer program - you make an account, confirm the award availability through that program, transfer miles, and book. Different *A programs will charge different numbers of (their) miles for the same United flight.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
You can transfer Chase points between cards, so you can redeem all of your Chase points at 1.5 as soon as you have the Sapphire Reserve in hand.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
I would add one wrinkle on this discussion. Using the UR points, you can use any amount of points towards the airfare. That means you could use all 210,000 to offset the fare, and then pay any additional in cash. As noted above, if you transfer to an airline program, you need to have enough miles to cover the entire cost of the ticket. This means that you have 52500/person that you can use for award flights, so if the award comes up as 53000/person, you won't be able to book it. In the new UA scheme of dynamic awards, this might be enough, or it might not be enough. You can certainly search for award seats, but there is a chance that you won't find them for the amount of points that you have. With Chase, you are simply searching for the lowest price fare and then you offset with whatever points you want to use. The WN (Southwest) program uses a similar point calculation where the points needed is related to the fare price.

Searching using other airline programs is certainly a good strategy to use.

Living in DEN, I will agree that the UA pricing seems to be very high when you look far ahead in the schedule, but it will usually drop to a more reasonable level. Google Flights is a good way to track the flight prices and if they hit a level that you are comfortable paying, you can pull the trigger, so to speak. For the UA awards, you'll need to manually search for them (I do this daily when I'm looking for award flights).
Old Aug 22, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.

There will be no downside in delaying a month or so.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Intrigued by Non-Stop but shall I wait ?

Our family of 4 will make first trip to Hawaii late July 2020, flying from DEN to LIH. We have 258,000 Chase points . I’m intrigued by what appears to be the only nonstop flight offered . Current chase points required would be 241,564 at a total price of $3020.68 which comes out to $755/person before paying extra to choose seats so we are all close together and bag fees . Logging on with my United Mileage plus account that has zero miles , total points is 344,000 for exact same nonstop roundtrip total using the hypothetical earlier July dates I used just to get an idea .

I read some suggestions on a different thread to wait until after Jan 1. What are odds these nonstop seats will be taken by then ? If probably still likely to have availability , think it could be even cheaper in January ? I know it’s a guess but we have little experience flying and new to this points game .

Im not opposed at changing planes on west coast if total cost is worth the savings and added 2-3 hours of total travel time . I just don’t want a long layover , meaning 3 hours or more .

What would you do ? Pull the trigger and get the nonstops now or wait to see if price goes down ?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 25, 2019 at 5:57 pm Reason: Moved to OP's prior thread
Old Aug 25, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Our family of 4 will make first trip to Hawaii late July 2020, flying from DEN to LIH. We have 258,000 Chase points .

I read some suggestions on a different thread to wait until after Jan 1. What are odds these nonstop seats will be taken by then ? If probably still likely to have availability , think it could be even cheaper in January ? I know it’s a guess but we have little experience flying and new to this points game .

What would you do ? Pull the trigger and get the nonstops now or wait to see if price goes down ?
If it were me, I wouldn't even think about purchasing the tickets until 2 months before the trip - at the earliest - and that is if I wanted to be incredibly safe. While July is busy, it isn't New Year's Eve busy. As an example - the DEN-LIH nonstop tomorrow as I write this has a lot of empty seats.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
If it were me, I wouldn't even think about purchasing the tickets until 2 months before the trip - at the earliest - and that is if I wanted to be incredibly safe. While July is busy, it isn't New Year's Eve busy. As an example - the DEN-LIH nonstop tomorrow as I write this has a lot of empty seats.
Really ??? So do these type of flights not sell out very often ?
Old Aug 25, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

Very rarely - if it did, it would be around Xmas, NYE, Spring Break
Old Aug 26, 2019, 6:04 am

it’s not just these types. But all types - flights don’t typically “sell out” until the final few weeks leading up to the trip. And don’t be fooled by seat maps - some seats are blocked to give the illusion that the plane is more full than it actually is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.