FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Finally! United.com "Chat with us" option plus NEW SMS option (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1983815-finally-united-com-chat-us-option-plus-new-sms-option.html)

mr8 Aug 20, 2019 4:39 pm

Finally! United.com "Chat with us" option plus NEW SMS option

Needed to call UA, and was looking for the number when I spotted this.
As someone who hates to be on the phone, this was amazing! Super fast and easy.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/contact.html
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ba9a61d1fa.png

Still needs some work as the page did time out on me, but the chat window remained open and active.
Hope this eventually gets pushed to the app for in-flight support!

WineCountryUA Aug 20, 2019 4:46 pm

Looks like a virtrual chat, not a live person -- is there a way to get a real human?

or is Alex back?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cont...al-expert.html

mr8 Aug 20, 2019 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 31437745)
Looks like a virtrual chat, not a live person -- is there a way to get a real human?

or is Alex back?

That's what I thought at first or that they would just tell me to call, but It is a live person and I was able to get my issue resolved completely over chat.
I was connected to Mailyn D., but scrolled up to the top for the screenshot. Those are just the options like the phone system.

villox Aug 20, 2019 6:32 pm

Must be a trial; I don’t see that option.

correction: sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t. Strange.

rittenhousesq Aug 20, 2019 6:39 pm

In general, I've had good experiences using the chat option on United's facebook page.

Catbert10 Aug 20, 2019 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by villox (Post 31437971)

Sometimes there are chat agents logged on, sometimes there aren't. The website won't let you get into queue if there aren't agents to take your 'call'.

exerda Aug 20, 2019 7:18 pm

I was thinking: "Wait, didn't we have 'Ask Alex' way back at the merger?" :D

I have had reasonable luck with Twitter DMs and response time, but if this offers more real-time responses when available, it could be an improvement. I still prefer calling the 1K desk, but that's not always an option.

exwannabe Aug 20, 2019 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by exerda (Post 31438066)
I was thinking: "Wait, didn't we have 'Ask Alex' way back at the merger?" :D

I have had reasonable luck with Twitter DMs and response time, but if this offers more real-time responses when available, it could be an improvement. I still prefer calling the 1K desk, but that's not always an option.

Around 15 years ago chat was "the thing" in the call service industry, but everybody soon found out is was really expensive and many dropped it. Problem is there is a long turn around around between replies. Even with agents handling a few concurrent chats it still slow compared to voice.

Email and twitter and much better from a cost perspective

kale73 Aug 20, 2019 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe (Post 31438211)
Around 15 years ago chat was "the thing" in the call service industry, but everybody soon found out is was really expensive and many dropped it.

Really? I still see it on a lot of sites. Mostly it’s evidenced by a chat box/window that keeps getting in my way, reminiscent of Microsoft’s “Clippy”.

aindfan Aug 20, 2019 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by kale73 (Post 31438312)
reminiscent of Microsoft’s “Clippy”.

"I think you're trying to get a ticket reissued. Would you like help with that?"

But back on topic: yes, it would be great if the domain that this runs off of (if not united.com; I haven't checked) is whitelisted for free access on UA inflight wifi. It would be great to have a text-based way to solve problems while in the air (without paying for wifi service).

pbr6891 Aug 20, 2019 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by aindfan (Post 31438512)
"I think you're trying to get a ticket reissued. Would you like help with that?"

But back on topic: yes, it would be great if the domain that this runs off of (if not united.com; I haven't checked) is whitelisted for free access on UA inflight wifi. It would be great to have a text-based way to solve problems while in the air (without paying for wifi service).

I second that !!!! that would be really convenient ...

mr8 Aug 20, 2019 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by villox (Post 31437971)

Yup, still buggy. The page actually timed out on me while I was on the chat, but I could still send and receive messages.

Originally Posted by exerda (Post 31438066)
I still prefer calling the 1K desk, but that's not always an option.

I find that I'm often just waiting on the line while the agent is working on the issue, so chat seems like an ideal solution.

Would be great if they can add this as a feature on the app like amazon does so you can just get a push notification when the agent replies.

goodeats21 Aug 21, 2019 4:17 am

The issue with Chat function for customer service is how many simultaneous chats the agent is expected to work. If they are handling one or two at a time, it can work OK. But bean-counters want them to handle more, and then it gets frustrating and not effective. And they also tend to want off-shore / ESL agents to handle them, as there is no voice accent issue, which is OK if the agent has the necessary language skills. But Chat tends to bring out acronyms and internet slang, which can be a struggle.

It could be a great niche for in-flight assistance though.

If United is rolling this out, it is due to some perceived cost savings for them and not as a customer service enhancement.

writerguyfl Aug 21, 2019 6:03 am

Around 15 years ago chat was "the thing" in the call service industry, but everybody soon found out is was really expensive and many dropped it. Problem is there is a long turn around around between replies. Even with agents handling a few concurrent chats it still slow compared to voice.

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 31439124)
The issue with Chat function for customer service is how many simultaneous chats the agent is expected to work. If they are handling one or two at a time, it can work OK. But bean-counters want them to handle more, and then it gets frustrating and not effective.

As someone that used to work in a travel call center, the above information is critical. Chat agents must handle multiple chats in order to make it cost effective. For simple requests, it can work.

If you want the undivided attention of an agent, always call.

malgudi Aug 21, 2019 8:52 am

Email and twitter and much better from a cost perspective

Not if they are chatbots ... most of the basic questions can be easily answered via "digital assistants".