Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Warning to plastic bottled water drinkers at SFO, no longer offered for sale 20Aug'19

Warning to plastic bottled water drinkers at SFO, no longer offered for sale 20Aug'19

Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Selling glass bottles at the airport. I can’t think of any bad things happening.
Good point.
I hadn't thought about that.

Let me rephrase: Do they sell sparkling water (in plastic, apparently, if at all?)?
They do sell other beverages, such as Diet Coke, in plastic? Or is it going to only cans (which, er, spill very easily, vs. bottles with caps)?

Gc
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
Good point.
I hadn't thought about that.

Let me rephrase: Do they sell sparkling water (in plastic, apparently, if at all?)?
They do sell other beverages, such as Diet Coke, in plastic? Or is it going to only cans (which, er, spill very easily, vs. bottles with caps)?

Gc
No, sparkling water in a plastic bottle is not allowed to be sold.

Per ordinance:

"Effective August 20, water to be sold in recyclable aluminum, glass or BPI-certified compostable bottles. The policy applies to purified water, mineral water, carbonated or sparkling water, and electrolyte-enhanced water, but does not include flavored beverages such as sodas, teas, or juices."
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
On the subject of sparking water/club soda/seltzer, FAs of multiple carriers, including UA, protect them like they are non-rev upgrades. Every time I ask for the remaining portion of the can on board, it's like I am asking for a glass of cognac. Also, no ice =/= add ice into my drink.
mrmoo likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Very supportive of this. Was on a delayed flight tonight (the last day before this becomes effective) and UAL staff offered snacks and bottled water. The United agent begged me to take as many as possible as she said they cannot offer water starting tomorrow and have many in stock. (I don't drink bottled water so didn't take them). I guess this ban extends to airline provided water in the terminal as well.

I hope SFO expands the filling stations for water bottles beyond the few stations now. I think it is very ineffective when something beneficial like this happens and the majority of the impact is to take something away rather than expanding the offering of a positive alternative.
pilot007, wrp96 and ajGoes like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:30 am

They are selling aluminum reusable bottles of water now in place of plastic. Which I would guess 90% of them will end up in the trash.

Actually a prime business opportunity for someone; sell aluminum bottles with SFO and the Golden Gate Bridge on it, mark it up even more, and sell it as a souvenir.

I also saw cans of LaCroix and glass bottles of mineral water.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:54 am

Before I board a tpac or even transcon flight I buy between 2-4 water bottles. Staying properly hydrated on a flight is very important. It is too easy to get dehydrated.

im not going to travel with 4 big water bottles they take up too much space.

i am all about being green. But airplanes is the one place it makes sense to use single use.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by jp12687
Before I board a tpac or even transcon flight I buy between 2-4 water bottles. Staying properly hydrated on a flight is very important. It is too easy to get dehydrated.

i am all about being green. But airplanes is the one place it makes sense to use single use.
Just get a few of
these these
drewguy, mmack, chavala and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:41 am

How is this UA related???
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by malgudi
it is not! Unless UA stops supplying water bottles on p.s. flights out of SFO ... then it becomes relevant
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jp12687

Did you ever consider bringing just one water bottle and refilling it?
malgudi likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by malgudi
Originally Posted by Repooc17
UA related: what about lounges? Will UA no longer stock water bottles at its SFO facilities?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Palal
Just get a few of these.
Vapur travel bottles fold up to even smaller sizes, plus they have a built-in carabiner clip.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
They are selling aluminum reusable bottles of water now in place of plastic. Which I would guess 90% of them will end up in the trash.

Actually a prime business opportunity for someone; sell aluminum bottles with SFO and the Golden Gate Bridge on it, mark it up even more, and sell it as a souvenir.

I also saw cans of LaCroix and glass bottles of mineral water.
SFO Airport sorts trash offsite per signage I’ve seen on terminal receptacles.
Originally Posted by Repooc17
UA related: what about lounges? Will UA no longer stock water bottles at its SFO facilities?
I guarantee that’s correct assumption. For a long while, no to-go cups for coffee either.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 20, 2019 at 11:25 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by chavala
Did you ever consider bringing just one water bottle and refilling it?
Refilling a bottle in flight isn't particularly easy. (But, yeah, one big reusable >> 4 tossable)

Plus, in the EcoSkies of United, I've gotten rude looks from FAs when I ask them to pour water from their big jug into my reusable bottle rather than yet another blue plastic cup. Must rub them the wrong way like asking for the rest of the can of soda.
ithinkurdumb likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:43 am

Just ask UA for an empty plastic bottle in flight. then when you land at SFO fill it at a station.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.