Priority luggage tag not available?

Old Aug 19, 19, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Priority luggage tag not available?

At a recent check-in at GRR, the agent stated they ran out of priority luggage tags and there was nothing she could do. Less than 1 min later, another agent came over and found a stack of 20 sitting right in front of the agent. What gives?
Old Aug 19, 19, 3:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by chemengin View Post
At a recent check-in at GRR, the agent stated they ran out of priority luggage tags and there was nothing she could do. Less than 1 min later, another agent came over and found a stack of 20 sitting right in front of the agent. What gives?
The first agent did not know where the tags where -- or if you want a conspiratorial answer, the agent did not want to bother.

Humans are humans

Outstations are outstations.

Use the tags found.
The tags are of minimal benefit.
nancypants, Often1, TerryK and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 19, 19, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Exactly right.
LimeySD likes this.
Old Aug 19, 19, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*
They seem to print "VIP" or "PRIO" priority on the tags either way... Now as far as the ground staff prioritizing the bags is a different story although it is very nice to have that orange "Priority" tag stick out
chavala likes this.
Old Aug 19, 19, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I’ll give UA and the priority tags some credit. Yesterday’s DEN-OGG flight and my bags were the very first off the flight, apparently elite light as nobody came up for GS or 1K boarding, frankly there wasn't that many of us in group 1 or 2.
Old Aug 19, 19, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The tags are to make people feel self-important. Could have been ditched several years ago, but then self-important people would not feel quite so important.

The "priority" is baked into the bar code in the printed bag tag. Whether UA does or does not load the bags last (so that they are first to the belt) is another issue.
Old Aug 19, 19, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold, AA Plt
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The tags are to make people feel self-important. Could have been ditched several years ago, but then self-important people would not feel quite so important.

The "priority" is baked into the bar code in the printed bag tag. Whether UA does or does not load the bags last (so that they are first to the belt) is another issue.
Last month I witnessed a super upset DYKWIA at SFO international Polaris/1K checkin. She was yelling for 5 minutes about how she has status and can't believe they forgot to put the tag on her bag. She demanded that they go down to the baggage sorting facility, find her bag and attach the tag. They's promised they'd do it, but somehow I seriously doubt that they did.
Old Aug 19, 19, 9:37 pm

Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
Originally Posted by fatlasercat View Post
Last month I witnessed a super upset DYKWIA at SFO international Polaris/1K checkin. She was yelling for 5 minutes about how she has status and can't believe they forgot to put the tag on her bag. She demanded that they go down to the baggage sorting facility, find her bag and attach the tag. They's promised they'd do it, but somehow I seriously doubt that they did.
Oh now this should be on the DYKWIA thread. Love it! Yikes the things some poor checkin agents have to put up with.
perkele likes this.
Old Aug 19, 19, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Judging by the complaints here about Priority baggage coming out last, you would think people would ask not to have the tag.
Old Aug 20, 19, 1:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
Judging by the complaints here about Priority baggage coming out last, you would think people would ask not to have the tag.
In the US, it mostly means nothing. However, in Japan, my bags are almost always lined-up and waiting for me in the elite baggage area by the time I clear immigration.
oopl likes this.
Old Aug 20, 19, 3:32 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I couldn't agree more.

Originally Posted by fatlasercat View Post
Maybe I'll make a machine that throws "Priority" tags on suitcases and set up shop outside the airport.

​​​​​​​
fastair likes this.
Old Aug 20, 19, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
The first agent did not know where the tags where -- or if you want a conspiratorial answer, the agent did not want to bother.

Humans are humans

Outstations are outstations.

Use the tags found.
there was a time when the tag meant they would be offloaded last.

These days they’re often first. Certainly the case at KEF yesterday. We sped through, first time did the AC no immigration line and the belt was already full of orange tagged bags.
Old Aug 20, 19, 6:17 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
priority tags = last bags to come out
The Mikado likes this.
Old Aug 20, 19, 6:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Raddison Gold
The other day at PHL, my bag literally came out last. It made me wonder if they set aside my bag because of the priority and forgot about it.
More likely given my history at PHL, it was just random.
Old Aug 20, 19, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others

You beat me to it. They are completely superfluous. On a side note, on the last three flights (all international), my priority bags came out either in the back half or dead last.

Search this Thread