FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Dynamic Award Pricing and ExpertFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1983643-dynamic-award-pricing-expertflyer.html)

Danski Aug 19, 2019 12:15 pm

Dynamic Award Pricing and ExpertFlyer

Apologies if this has already been covered, I can’t get search to work on my phone.

With the change to dynamic award pricing, does anyone know how that will work with fare classes (and therefore ExpertFlyer)?

As with many of you, I have multiple alerts saved searching for specific inventory (right now, looking for “I” inventory on various routes). With the new award pricing, will there still be a correlation between the fare bucket and the mileage price for the award?

Danski

jsloan Aug 19, 2019 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Danski (Post 31432931)
With the new award pricing, will there still be a correlation between the fare bucket and the mileage price for the award?

UA hasn't made any announcements. So far, for tickets booked after 11/15, the "I" bucket still exists and it refers to saver-level pricing. However, that's (extremely) subject to change.

mduell Aug 19, 2019 3:55 pm

I expect the I space you see on EF will be the space available to partners, at whatever rates those partners choose to charge for it in their own program. May or may not be tied in any particular UA MP mileage price or range.

Danski Aug 19, 2019 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 31433735)
I expect the I space you see on EF will be the space available to partners, at whatever rates those partners choose to charge for it in their own program. May or may not be tied in any particular UA MP mileage price or range.

If that ends up being the case, then “I” space will (presumably) serve no purpose with as far as UA metal is concerned, unless booking UA metal through another program (Aeroplan, etc.).

jsloan Aug 19, 2019 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Danski (Post 31433805)
If that ends up being the case, then “I” space will (presumably) serve no purpose with as far as UA metal is concerned, unless booking UA metal through another program (Aeroplan, etc.).

It's all speculation at this point. That's one possible result; another is that you still care about I space because it's still an indicator of lower-than-average prices for awards using MileagePlus as the currency.

Kacee Aug 19, 2019 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 31433735)

I'm reasonably confident this is correct, since EF does not pull UA X and I from UA directly.

The follow-on point is that if X or I are made available to partners, it will likely be made available by UA at whatever their lowest award level/price is for that particular award.

jsloan Aug 20, 2019 1:11 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31433928)
The follow-on point is that if X or I are made available to partners, it will likely be made available by UA at whatever their lowest award level/price is for that particular award.

Possibly, or they may have multiple price points for X and I. In fact, they do already, but through November 15, they're discounts from the value in the chart. After November 15, they could be anything.

All else being equal, I suspect you will find a better fare (in miles) for a flight with I/X > 0 than you will for a similar flight with I/X = 0. Beyond that, I'm not really sure what to expect.

wpcoe Aug 20, 2019 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31433928)
I'm reasonably confident this is correct, since EF does not pull UA X and I from UA directly.

What reservations portal does EF use for Star Alliance award availability? I thought I had read someplace they *did* use UA's reservation system.

sbm12 Aug 20, 2019 5:40 am

Originally Posted by 1984SW (Post 31435151)
What reservations portal does EF use for Star Alliance award availability? I thought I had read someplace they *did* use UA's reservation system.

I cannot speak to what is currently in use but I know that EF has scraped various UA sources directly in the past.

wpcoe Aug 21, 2019 5:14 am

Originally Posted by 1984SW (Post 31435151)

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 31435363)
I cannot speak to what is currently in use but I know that EF has scraped various UA sources directly in the past.

After posting my question, I wondered if the Apollo were the source pre-merger, but with the move to SHARES EF found another source.

rflor Jul 3, 2021 3:42 pm

Bumping this thread…Is it worth setting an alert for I space these days in ExpertFlyer if I am on the hunt for discounted Business class awards?

WineCountryUA Jul 3, 2021 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by rflor (Post 33378715)
Bumping this thread…Is it worth setting an alert for I space these days in ExpertFlyer if I am on the hunt for discounted Business class awards?

Does not hurt, but would not be the only thing I did, especially if eligible for rare IN only space.