Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD-FRA @ 2:25 PM - Removed during end of year holiday period? Advice please

Old Aug 17, 19, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, National Car EE

A couple of months ago I booked a flight out of ORD at 2:25pm on December 24 with a connection in FRA (inside Schengen). The flight was to leave ORD at 2:25 pm, layover for 5 hours in FRA, and then take the next leg to my final destination (FCO).

I randomly checked my reservation today and noticed that United had somehow moved me to the flight out of ORD at 6:05pm. No notification or anything like that... But United's IT is besides the point. This change leaves me with only 1hr of connection time in FRA

After searching flight options seems there is now literally only one direct flight on that day: the UA at 6:05pm. Not even LH is flying that day.

My question is: should I wait for the 2:25 pm flight to eventually return or should I already rebook myself with a connection out of say IAD? I really hate adding a domestic connection to such a flight because of high chance of IRROPS during that season.
Is there even a chance the 2:25 pm flight will return?
Old Aug 17, 19, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LordDenton View Post
A couple of months ago I booked a flight out of ORD at 2:25pm on December 24 with a connection in FRA (inside Schengen). The flight was to leave ORD at 2:25 pm, layover for 5 hours in FRA, and then take the next leg to my final destination (FCO).

I randomly checked my reservation today and noticed that United had somehow moved me to the flight out of ORD at 6:05pm. No notification or anything like that... But United's IT is besides the point. This change leaves me with only 1hr of connection time in FRA

After searching flight options seems there is now literally only one direct flight on that day: the UA at 6:05pm. Not even LH is flying that day.

My question is: should I wait for the 2:25 pm flight to eventually return or should I already rebook myself with a connection out of say IAD? I really hate adding a domestic connection to such a flight because of high chance of IRROPS during that season.
likely not. Around the holidays, they reduce frequency on certain days due to reduced business demand. In fact, we flew to India via FRA last year on Xmas day, and when looking around, noting hat different frequencies werenít running. The day we flew out, both UA FRA flights were running, but I think the LH one didnít. On Xmas eve and day after Xmas, only one of the two were running, IIRC.

This comes up up multiple times a year - with people wondering why X flight isnít running on whatever day around Xmas, Thanksgiving or New Years. For some international destinations, they rotate hubs. For example, to NRT, the SFO, DEN and IAD flights might run one day around the holidays, while they wonít run the following day and LAX, ORD and IAH will. Those are examples only.

UA isnít the only carrier to do this around this time. For example, going onto BLR from FRA, which is typically daily on LH, they only run I think 4 x that Xams week, or at least did last year.
Old Aug 17, 19, 12:29 pm

Are you shocked UA and LH are operating with a reduced schedule on Christmas Eve? All you should be concerned with is whether LH has a later flight from FRA to FCO on Christmas day (IMHO). They probably do but itís worth a quick check.
Old Aug 17, 19, 12:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Holiday schedule reductions are common and assuming this is not a fat finger error, it will not come back. So if not reversed in a day or two, it is real.

1 HR is the MCT for UA at FRA (assuming you are talking LH connecting)
Old Aug 17, 19, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Assuming you are flying FRA-FCO on LH, correct? If so, they have a later non-stop flight and other flights with connections to FCO.
Old Aug 17, 19, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; DL Plat; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Marriott Plat; Global Entry

Probably not. Looks like they cancelled that flight that day. Stick with what you were rebooked to or call and get rebooked to another flight. An hour connection at FRA is not a problem unless the first flight is delayed.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Aug 17, 19, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
with such a schedule change you can ask pretty much for any re-routing. Is LX via ZRH operating that day? That's a decent option IMO.
Old Aug 17, 19, 1:54 pm

How about requesting they put you on

UA609 1125 ORD - 1432 EWR
UA40 1745 EWR - 0805(+1) FCO

?

It's all UA metal, so they can open space, and the high frequency of ORD-EWR means you can probably get something worked out in case of IRROPS. Also, if you booked in J, there is a Polaris Lounge both at origin and connection.
getagb likes this.
Old Aug 17, 19, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Do you have a separate ticket for FRA-FCO?
Old Aug 17, 19, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
There’s also a 1:55pm departure on Air Canada via Toronto. I’d try for that as it’s close to your original time and gets into FCO earlier on the 25th.
Old Aug 17, 19, 2:04 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
There’s also a 1:55pm departure on Air Canada via Toronto. I’d try for that as it’s close to your original time and gets into FCO earlier on the 25th.
I wouldn't. I hate doing USA-CAN-other connections due to the separate airport areas for transborder flights.
Old Aug 17, 19, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Do you have a separate ticket for FRA-FCO?
Good question. If so, no way to avoid adding a connection somewhere en route to FRA.
Old Aug 17, 19, 3:29 pm

I wouldn't. I hate doing USA-CAN-other connections due to the separate airport areas for transborder flights.
Isn't waiting in the transborder area applicable only to the other way around, i.e. international-Canada-USA? On a USA-Canada-international itinerary won't you proceed to the departure areas for all non-transborder international flights, i.e. spend minimal time in the transborder area? (I know on the other way around you end up waiting in the transborder area because you have to clear US preclearance at the Canadian connection point.)
Old Aug 17, 19, 3:35 pm

Yes but IIRC some airports make you enter Canada first and I've heard of people having to wait in a holding pen before the international departure. I don't know specifically what the current transborder to international transit path would be at Toronto.
Old Aug 17, 19, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Yes but IIRC some airports make you enter Canada first and I've heard of people having to wait in a holding pen before the international departure. I don't know specifically what the current transborder to international transit path would be at Toronto.

you directly go to the intercontinental departure area when you arrive from the US and connect TATL and TPAC in YYZ

Search this Thread