Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD-FRA @ 2:25 PM - Removed during end of year holiday period? Advice please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD-FRA @ 2:25 PM - Removed during end of year holiday period? Advice please

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2019, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cfischer

you directly go to the intercontinental departure area when you arrive from the US and connect TATL and TPAC in YYZ
correct. You need to be heads up. But you make a sharp turn when the main route is straight and the there’s a person who waves you past and you’re done.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes but IIRC some airports make you enter Canada first and I've heard of people having to wait in a holding pen before the international departure. I don't know specifically what the current transborder to international transit path would be at Toronto.
OP would go directly to ‘customs B’, which is a cursory check by the Canadians, and after clearing, drops them in the international gate area. No extra security either. The only way they wouldn’t be able to do that is if they arrive and ‘customs B’ is closed, but that doesn’t happen until sometime in the evening, so assuming a standard connection to an evening TATL, shouldn’t be a problem.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe

OP would go directly to ‘customs B’, which is a cursory check by the Canadians, and after clearing, drops them in the international gate area. No extra security either. The only way they wouldn’t be able to do that is if they arrive and ‘customs B’ is closed, but that doesn’t happen until sometime in the evening, so assuming a standard connection to an evening TATL, shouldn’t be a problem.
or if they miss the sign, which I almost did. The INTL area is fine including a Maple Leaf Lounge.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Thank you so much for the advice. Clarifies a lot for me.

Actually I do want to connect in FRA. My wife is flying at the same time from Tokyo HND (the midnight flight) to FRA, we meet in the morning in FRA, and then continue together to FCO. The meeting in FRA was supposed to be the start of our vacation, and we paid several hundred dollars extra to get this specific leg combination. That's why I wanna wanna keep the FRA to FCO leg with a generous connection time in FRA.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by sannmann

Probably not. Looks like they cancelled that flight that day. Stick with what you were rebooked to or call and get rebooked to another flight. An hour connection at FRA is not a problem unless the first flight is delayed.
As a *G, I prefer 2+ hours at FRA to shower in LH Senator Lounge. When my FRA connection time has been just 1 hour, it’s not been enough for a full ‘refresh’ post red-eye.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Holiday schedule reductions are common and assuming this is not a fat finger error, it will not come back. So if not reversed in a day or two, it is real.

1 HR is the MCT for UA at FRA (assuming you are talking LH connecting)
i would never book a 1 hour connection in FRA. While it can be done there is also a 1 in 3 chance it cannot. My transfers through FRA (at least 8 in last 3 years) have ranged from 45 to 2 hours.. this is the real time from leaving plane to arriving at next flight gate. Granted I have not flown through there on 24 Dec.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LordDenton
Thank you so much for the advice. Clarifies a lot for me.

Actually I do want to connect in FRA. My wife is flying at the same time from Tokyo HND (the midnight flight) to FRA, we meet in the morning in FRA, and then continue together to FCO. The meeting in FRA was supposed to be the start of our vacation, and we paid several hundred dollars extra to get this specific leg combination. That's why I wanna wanna keep the FRA to FCO leg with a generous connection time in FRA.
well. The flight is cancelled and won’t return, so your options are limited.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
In that case, ask to be booked on a flight to some other US-city and connect. The obvious choice is IAD, getting you in at 7:10 (UA) or 8:30 (LH). The less obvious choices are connecting to LH in BOS or MIA, or take AC. In winter, I'd not want to make an extra stop in any place that might get snow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.