Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

nephew got bumped from UA TPAC flight and got zero compensation, not even hotel/food

nephew got bumped from UA TPAC flight and got zero compensation, not even hotel/food

Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Catbert10
I never ceases to amaze me how an online BB thread can devolve into a game of Telephone, even though the OP is but a short scroll away. The kid wasn't IDB'd at check-in. He checked-in online the night before. He was IDB'd when he went to check in his luggage.
There is no such thing as IBD at online checkin 24h prior. The only thing is you may not have a seat assigned or have an issue and need to check-in at an airport. What does IDB at check in 24h online prior even mean?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by docbert
SIN and ICN have non-stop flights to the US. As do SYD, MEL, KIX, HND, CTU, and TPE, plus GUM if you consider that TPAC.

Nobody is suggesting he was bumped at check-in 23 hours before the flight.

The distinction that's being discussed is whether the bump occurred at the check-in counter, by a check-in agent, or at the gate by a gate agent.

If if you want to talk Telephone, the OP's post doesn't explicitly state that he was bumped when checking in his luggage (at the check-in counter by the check-in agent) like you're claiming. It states that's when he was told the flight was oversold, but not necessarily that the bump occurred then. Thus the confusion.

The two SIN flights are ~12 hours apart, so that wouldn't be relevant today (might have been back when they were doing 1 to SFO and 1 to LAX, but now they are both SFO). The SYD flights are an hour or so apart, and the NRT departures are also close together.
Sorry that my post wasn't clear, but by "I don't think so" I was referring to having enough departing UA flights so that the check in area would be open continuously and the OP's young relative would be able check bags at T-4. I know UA has nonstop TPAC flights from ICN, SIN, HND (although the post I quoted specifically mentioned NRT and I'm not sure how many UA flights are still at NRT versus daytime--and in this case morning--slots from HND) and also SYD and MEL.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Wow, all these posts and you never heard back from the OP and all the speculation. I know everyones trying to help but shouldnt you tame your horses until the OP replies??
ajGoes and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Perhaps the OP's nephew was flying from HKG earlier this week?

There were two days earlier this week which during the late afternoon, all flights departing HKG were "cancelled" due to protests at the airport.

A lot of these "cancelled" flights (mainly international flights operated by foreign carriers) ended up departing as normal with a less than full load (mainly with transit passengers who originated in other cities and only connecting airside in HKG).

When these flights were "cancelled" (which is not really the case), departing passengers originating from HKG were prevented by the HK Airport Authority from clearing security into the secure area as there was a lot of chaos caused by the protesters.

It might be possible that when the OP's nephew reached the check-in counter at HKG, the agents saw that there was little chance he could make it pass security to catch his flight so re-booked him onto the next flight 24 hours alter. Due to the poor English skills of the agents in HKG, they might have incorrectly said something along the line of "overbooking".

As this delay was caused by civil unrest as opposed to a mechanical issue or an actual overbooking issue, the OP's nephew does not need to be provided with meals or accommodations.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 7:05 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by daniellam
Perhaps the OP's nephew was flying from HKG earlier this week?

There were two days earlier this week which during the late afternoon, all flights departing HKG were "cancelled" due to protests at the airport.

A lot of these "cancelled" flights (mainly international flights operated by foreign carriers) ended up departing as normal with a less than full load (mainly with transit passengers who originated in other cities and only connecting airside in HKG).

When these flights were "cancelled" (which is not really the case), departing passengers originating from HKG were prevented by the HK Airport Authority from clearing security into the secure area as there was a lot of chaos caused by the protesters.

It might be possible that when the OP's nephew reached the check-in counter at HKG, the agents saw that there was little chance he could make it pass security to catch his flight so re-booked him onto the next flight 24 hours alter. Due to the poor English skills of the agents in HKG, they might have incorrectly said something along the line of "overbooking".

As this delay was caused by civil unrest as opposed to a mechanical issue or an actual overbooking issue, the OP's nephew does not need to be provided with meals or accommodations.
move never thought of the HKG or even NRT agents as having poor English skills. Neither with SIN or even BKK back in the day
Old Aug 18, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by fastair
move never thought of the HKG or even NRT agents as having poor English skills. Neither with SIN or even BKK back in the day
While more of a topic for OMNI/PR, ever since 1997, the HK education system has placed less of an emphasis on teaching students English. Instead, the government has been pushing Chinese language based curriculum. Unless a student goes to an elite private school or international school, their English skills tend to be subpar if they went to a lower tier school. Employees who are fluent in English would not typically want to work at Jardine Airport Services (or any other ground handling company at the airport) in the first place!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
There was no disruption of UA departures at HKG. Both days flights were "canceled" in the late afternoon and evening. The only exception was Monday's GUM-HKG-GUM which were canceled.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Wow, 67 posts in and some entertaining and informative FT commentary. The knowledge on this board is always impressive!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 18, 2019 at 9:15 pm Reason: discuss the issue; not the poster(s)
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by daniellam
While more of a topic for OMNI/PR, ever since 1997, the HK education system has placed less of an emphasis on teaching students English. Instead, the government has been pushing Chinese language based curriculum. Unless a student goes to an elite private school or international school, their English skills tend to be subpar if they went to a lower tier school. Employees who are fluent in English would not typically want to work at Jardine Airport Services (or any other ground handling company at the airport) in the first place!
Not true.

At the minimum, UA operates its own ground service at HKG. So if you say UA GA's English is poor to communicate, then it is definitely not true.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 19, 2019 at 11:51 am Reason: discuss the issue; not the poster(s)
Old Aug 19, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: *bucks Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
Not true.

At the minimum, UA operates its own ground service at HKG. So if you say UA GA's English is poor to communicate, then it is definitely not true.
I agree. My experience is that UA-badged ground staff, even as far as at the Airport Express In-Town Check-in, is competent in English and in their computer handiwork. Why we can't have an airport rail system like HKG's here in the US is another question, probz for OMNI...

But I agree, we need the OP to come back to this mess that's been created. To add to the speculation of the flight's origin, the pax could have, on outbound, flown mainland-HNL-GUM-NRT/HKG/MNL/KIX or whatever. And the return asia-mainland would be the first true TPAC not subject to FAA IDB requirements.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 19, 2019 at 11:52 am Reason: removed quote of deleted content
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUM_elite
To add to the speculation of the flight's origin, the pax could have, on outbound, flown mainland-HNL-GUM-NRT/HKG/MNL/KIX or whatever. And the return asia-mainland would be the first true TPAC not subject to FAA IDB requirements.
That's a stretch my cat would admire.

It would require a carrier other than UA for the mainland-HNL leg, then a carrier from the western Pacific (or possibly HA) for the other "half-PAC", then a UA TPAC return. That's probably going to be a very expensive ticket.

It's far more likely, IMO, that the nephew's "encounter" took place in a U.S. airport.

Agree it would be helpful if OP would clarify. ^
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 12:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As there are too many unanswered questions at this point, it seems best to close this thread for now. If the OP or someone else has new information concerning this incident, please contact the UA Moderators.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.