Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recent UA peeling paint livery sightings

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2022, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by correction
: Why should you assume that a company that cuts corners is selective with its corner cutting? "Yes, we cut corners but only with the unimportant stuff," said the spokesperson in the cut-corner PR department which is understaffed and under paid. Cancer affects the whole organism. You mustn't forget that.

To suggest that those planes with their peeling paint, bare skin, and 100s of yards of speed tape are "just fine," really speaks volumes about the state of things.
For presentation and appearance, the peeling paint and mismatched livery schemes look a varying mix of weird and horrible. So in terms of aesthetics, this thread gives ample evidence of corners being cut.

But basic safety maintenance practices for operating airplanes are well established, and having peeling paint does not violate any of them. See earlier post from LarryJ (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33442501-post58.html). Same for using speed tape or swapping engine cowlings across liveries. So in terms of safety, no evidence of corners being cut.
dham likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 19, 2022 at 12:51 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Jul 19, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Definitely not at United (MX is outstanding here) but in my previous life flying corporate jets; I’ve flown planes with beautiful exterior paint jobs and newly upgraded interiors but absolute trash engines and a litany of recurring maintenance items (faulty radar tilts, TCAS anomalies , EFIS screens blacking out, etc.)

Looking back I was so desperate to build flight time and experience I just dealt with the issues. Realistically would never put my family in some of these planes…

But they sure looked pretty from the outside!

I get it from the traveling public perspective, the optics of peeling paint and speed tape. The reality is, external paint says nothing about the inner workings of an aircraft. To imply using speed tape or having paint issues means cutting corners is ridiculous and shows a lack of knowledge about aviation IMO.
PTahCha, SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and 4 others like this.

Last edited by clubord; Jul 19, 2022 at 2:04 pm
Old Jul 19, 2022, 9:23 pm

Programs: Still trying to use my Continental OnePass miles...
Originally Posted by clubord
Looking back I was so desperate to build flight time and experience I just dealt with the issues. Realistically would never put my family in some of these planes…
It's so weird that you're making my point for me and you don't even realize it. When you were flying for these charter (I'm assuming) outfits, you were absolutely detecting their corner-cutting. You noticed it so hard that in retrospect, you would "never put your family in some of those planes." My comment isn't about paint and airworthiness. It's about being cheap and cutting corners. I have a feeling the planes you *would* like to put your family on have nice paint, nice interiors, and no MELs. Just a hunch.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 11:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by correction
I have a feeling the planes you *would* like to put your family on have nice paint, nice interiors, and no MELs. Just a hunch.
Thanks for your input.
rockdoc likes this.

Last edited by clubord; Jul 19, 2022 at 11:10 pm Reason: Not worth my time to engage in this...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.