Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recent UA peeling paint livery sightings

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2021, 10:29 am

Location: New to BWI as of 2021; say hi if you're in the area!
Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
It's also not a major branding change (remember "not a revolution, an evolution" -- well a far as a bigger font and a squiggly line go) so there's not the corporate impetus to do this -- I mean it would be great if all the planes looked the same but there's probably little to no ROI on (Current vs. Previous) compared to (Rising Blue/Battleship v. CO) or trying to ditch the negative stigma attached to (Meatball v. Globe). Had UA taken a laissez-faire attitude toward repainting after the merger first I'm convinced we'd still see a few battleships out there and it would be really unclear to the traveling public that this was a unified airline (we all know that it wasn't...for several years but...I'm talking average "oh, (white plane/gray plane/blue plane)!" traveler...
I'm looking forward to more of repaints...the new livery has grown on me, especially when I see it next to the old one and it just looks so much fresher.

I especially like what they did with the tail -- the baby blue globe, along with the fade up the top.
lincolnjkc and KarstV like this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, Supersonic (BA1Y, BA1223)
Spotted yesterday at SFO gate F11. Just barely missed the "N number" so not sure if its been posted before...

Old Aug 22, 2021, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by huey_driver
Spotted yesterday at SFO gate F11. Just barely missed the "N number" so not sure if its been posted before...

img
That is N77012.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N77012
Old Aug 22, 2021, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, Supersonic (BA1Y, BA1223)
Thx, was pretty sure the nosegear door had the reg number on it, but wasnt positive.
Shoulda just looked it up...
Old Aug 29, 2021, 7:09 am

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) | National Exec Elite | Global Entry | HH Silver
Just saw N77012 pull into a gate in DEN, wow does it need a paint job. It has to be the one of the top 3 planes in need of pain right now, possibly right after that 757 that is in really rough shape.

FriendlySkies and Repooc17 like this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 8:51 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA (new!) Silver, AA Hater, Marriott Down to Gold, Hilton grunt
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
From the consumer/passenger perspective, the root cause is irrelevant. It is a bad look that allows customers to draw their own conclusions as to the cause. At a minimum, it makes UA look less than a premium carrier. This hurts the perception of the airlines. The casual traveler has to at least wonder if this image of "lower quality" extends to more than the paint job.
I agree with this. I'm changing flight patterns and therefore moving more business from Delta to UA after a failed AA test. I immediately question the overall maintenance of a carrier that is still mostly unfamiliar to me. It's a comfort level consideration that impacts my business consideration. That may be unjustified if everything else is well maintained but it still plays a role in how I feel.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by OnTimePlease
I agree with this. I'm changing flight patterns and therefore moving more business from Delta to UA after a failed AA test. I immediately question the overall maintenance of a carrier that is still mostly unfamiliar to me. It's a comfort level consideration that impacts my business consideration. That may be unjustified if everything else is well maintained but it still plays a role in how I feel.
That's completely reasonable, and is why United grades regularly grades the condition of aircraft paint. Worse-graded aircraft are preferentially-scheduled to paint shops as operational needs permit. Hence, 0127 (the rattiest-looking 757 I've seen at UA in years) was the first 757 to go into the paint shop once the line opened.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I wasn't sure if there was a thread for repainted aircraft, so I'll post here. Mods are free to move/merge.

Old Sep 3, 2021, 1:14 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, United Gold, Marriott Titanium
N75853 was looking rough at IAD this morning

Old Sep 7, 2021, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by goyankees32790
N75853 was looking rough at IAD this morning

Per the Fleet Site, she was last repainted in 2013. United uses extended repaint schedules to cut costs, and the pandemic hasn’t helped. There are plenty of other aircraft in the fleet that were last repainted in 2012 or 2011. As noted upthread repaints are prioritized based on paint condition. Even if the paint isn’t peeling a lot of the fleet is very faded, worn and now dated versus the new livery.

In Q1 United said they would repaint 60 aircraft this year. With the current pace that goal is unlikely. Additionally with over 800 mainline aircraft and few retirements announced thus far, the livery change over could easily take 8 years or longer.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Old Feb 1, 2022, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like this was N75853 (flightaware).

Some further fun:
scottpenderson likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 12:17 am

Programs: AMEX Plat Marriott Gold HHGold UA Silver
This is such a classic UA thing. It is something in the culture. UA has been this way as long as I can recall. The interior in just the same.

in lean years CO (and DL) seemed to know how to keep paint on and carpets clean. But for whatever reason UA has always just let it peel.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Forgot I took this back in July at SFO 2021. N48127 - what a mess.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 4:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by zoegksf
Forgot I took this back in July at SFO 2021. N48127 - what a mess.
It has been repainted since.

zoegksf and cmd320 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.