Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recent UA peeling paint livery sightings

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP

Not particularly paint related but noticed this on the wing of a recent flight. Having been a auto mechanic in a prior life, I know dirt is usually attracted to oil/fluid which was somewhat disconcerning. The dirt patched didnt grow throughout the flight, and I assumed any leak would have set off a low/abnormal pressure indicator so maybe it was leftover from a prior leak?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scracer14
img
Not particularly paint related but noticed this on the wing of a recent flight. Having been a auto mechanic in a prior life, I know dirt is usually attracted to oil/fluid which was somewhat disconcerning. The dirt patched didnt grow throughout the flight, and I assumed any leak would have set off a low/abnormal pressure indicator so maybe it was leftover from a prior leak?
To my inexpert eye, the smudges appear to start at the leading edge, which would imply the cause is (was?) external to the wing. It slightly difficult to interpret, but the accumulation further back is likely resulting from vortices generated at the panel seam.

edit: good answer below.

Last edited by fumje; Sep 13, 2019 at 6:25 pm
Old Sep 13, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
The black marks come from metal rubbing against metal in a moist environment, i.e. clouds or rain. They are extended back from the area of each set of slat tracks.

This is one way that mechanics identify rivets that are a bit loose. The slight movement that they allow produces those black streaks.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

N791UA looking a bit tired:

Old Feb 5, 2021, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by fumje
N791UA looking a bit tired:
poor bird. Last made it to VCV in November 2011 for a new paint job.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 1:32 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Southwest A-List
As of January 4, 2021, N791UA still looks like the worst failed paint in the whole airline (unless there are examples I haven't seen).

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/10013139
Old Feb 5, 2021, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by runner450
Hoping another visit to VCV will come soon!
Old Feb 5, 2021, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by runner450
Hoping another visit to VCV will come soon!
Who knew that VCV would be so apeeling for UA A/C?

David
Alpha Golf likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
Who knew that VCV would be so apeeling for UA A/C?

David
I would appeal for correct spelling, but I now see what you're up to.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 1:14 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ldonnelly
As of January 4, 2021, N791UA still looks like the worst failed paint in the whole airline (unless there are examples I haven't seen).

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/10013139
Not sure if it counts but one of the CRJ700s (seem to recall it's one of the Mesa birds in the N5xxLR registration series always seems to be parked on one of the even D gates at IAD and just as universally seems to be missing more paint each time. Is this UA's new fleet reduction strategy? Whichever UAex bird voluntarily drops it's entirely livery first gets voted out of the fleet?
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 9:17 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Not sure if it counts but one of the CRJ700s (seem to recall it's one of the Mesa birds in the N5xxLR registration series always seems to be parked on one of the even D gates at IAD and just as universally seems to be missing more paint each time. Is this UA's new fleet reduction strategy? Whichever UAex bird voluntarily drops it's entirely livery first gets voted out of the fleet?
Probably this one N506MJ

Old Feb 8, 2021, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by bwiadca
Probably this one N506MJ

Yep that. Looks like it :-) (or should that really be :-( )
Old Feb 8, 2021, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Originally Posted by bwiadca
Probably this one N506MJ

img
If you've seen the sad CR7 in question recently IAD, I think there must be a second one in such a sorry state. N506MJ has been parked for a bit. https://sites.google.com/site/united...fleet-tracking (last flight 4-Jan going OKC - TUS storage)
Old Feb 8, 2021, 10:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

If you've seen the sad CR7 in question recently IAD, I think there must be a second one in such a sorry state. N506MJ has been parked for a bit. https://sites.google.com/site/united...fleet-tracking (last flight 4-Jan going OKC - TUS storage)
I've shot this N506MJ on December 28th. Haven't seen in January another bird looking like that at IAD.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 11:00 am

I definitely saw it in December -- haven't really been in IAD during daylight hours in January -- though oddly I'm typing this from SFO waiting for 1491 to IAD so...if there is an imposter maybe I'll see it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.