Wiki Posts
Search

Recent UA peeling paint livery sightings

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Recent UA peeling paint livery sightings

Hi there,
was at NRT yesterday and spotted B777-200 N210UA with some severe 'scratches' on the fuselage...I have never ever seen something like this before. Looks like she got into a catfight.
Anyone who what this is, and in this case, what caused it? Hail?Thunder?
Poor bird...

The other side...slightly better but still very noticeable!
skipness1E likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 16, 2019 at 5:35 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Looks like standard peeling paint situation -- needs a new paint job.

pmUA was notorious for this

and especially in the post-battleship gray livery days
FlytheTail, drewguy and skipness1E like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 17, 2019 at 10:21 am Reason: image
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the info.
Yikes. I have NEVER seen this on other airlines, a friend of mine also saw a UA bird at AMS last week that had the same situation...perhaps same bird or there are a few flying around with this peeling paint
N210UA does a lot of NRT-GUM/HNL according to flightradar24 so I guess the AMS one was a different aircraft.
skipness1E likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The 757 I took EWR-ARN this summer was probably a year past "wow, this plane really needs a new paint job."
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
it's not beckoning you to fly. It makes you think what else is wrong with the maintenance dept.
jimquan likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe they are stretching the repaint timeline because of the new livery ..??
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Someone decided to use Honda paint from the 1990s on the plane.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
Maybe they are stretching the repaint timeline because of the new livery ..??
The shortage of aircraft (due to MAX situation) and peak summer travel demands, probably deferring painting as it is mostly a cosmetic issue (some increase in fuel usage but for that level of peeling, pretty minor).
EWR764 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The shortage of aircraft (due to MAX situation) and peak summer travel demands, probably deferring painting as it is mostly a cosmetic issue (some increase in fuel usage but for that level of peeling, pretty minor).
As others have noted, this has been a problem in United for some time. I’m guessing whoever is UA’s painting subcontractor is paid to do the job as quickly and as cheaply as possible. Hence the Earl Scheib look.
skipness1E likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by halls120
As others have noted, this has been a problem in United for some time. ....
To be fair, as I made that comment, it was a pmUA issue but I have not noticed the issue in many years. And after searching for a recent thread / comments on the subject and finding none, this recent report (or the 757 report) appears not to be common nowadays.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
To be fair, as I made that comment, it was a pmUA issue but I have not noticed the issue in many years. And after searching for a recent thread / comments on the subject and finding none, this recent report (or the 757 report) appears not to be common nowadays.
I would agree that the post livery painting appeared to have been carried out with quality efforts. That doesn’t mean that Kirby hasn’t now decided to cut corners on painting, just like he’s done with the Polaris soft product. When paint peels like it has in the pictures in this thread, that suggests poor surface preparation or low quality paint.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by halls120
I would agree that the post livery painting appeared to have been carried out with quality efforts. That doesn’t mean that Kirby hasn’t now decided to cut corners on painting, just like he’s done with the Polaris soft product.
Perhaps before leaping to such a conclusion, we should have an actual observed pattern.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
There have been some quality issues that have led to warranty-related repaints over the last few years, and paint lines have been on hold for months due to the MAX grounding.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:24 am
Original Poster

As for the low quality paint many seem to be eluding to, aren’t there certain industry standards mandated by the FAA? It’s not like UA can order paint in bulk from Home Depot...I would have thought the industry minimum is still quite a high standard...
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
That's how aircraft paint fails.

Even before the new livery was announced, it was becoming obvious that one was in the works due to the delay in repainting aircraft that needed it. You aren't going to repaint aircraft in the old livery when you know that a new one is coming soon.
dmurphynj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.