Award ticket Premium Plus Buy Up?

Old Aug 16, 19, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP G, DL PL
Award ticket Premium Plus Buy Up?

First post in UA thread here... I'm about to book an award ticket from SFO to PVG by using miles. In the past, I was able to pay extra to select an economy plus seat. I'm wondering, can I buy-up to premium plus? Delta does this to Premium Select, but not sure I can do this on UA? Thanks!
Old Aug 16, 19, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Probably. This is not a stated benefit, but UA frequently offers upsell opportunities. However, it is quite likely that PE will be full at check-in (when offers are most common) so it's a little dicey.
Old Aug 16, 19, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP G, DL PL
thanks for the reply! I was about to say at the seatmap after booking, will there be upsell offerings (I did that for Eco+ before), instead of rolling the dice at the check-in counter
Old Aug 16, 19, 4:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by lonelygod View Post
thanks for the reply! I was about to say at the seatmap after booking, will there be upsell offerings (I did that for Eco+ before), instead of rolling the dice at the check-in counter
E+ access is not an upgrade for a new cabin but rather a seat selection fee for the same cabin. E+ is just economy (with more leg space) and the fare / miles for all economy seats is identical. It is just non-elites have to pay a fee to have access to the E+ seats. if unoccupied, a non-elites can pay a fee for access to any open seats. That option is always available

The equivalent does not exist for Y to PP as that is a cabin change. UA may offer at check-in a cash upgrade fee to change cabins. But the small PP cabin is popular and there may not be any seats to sell.
But a cabin change upgrade is generally not offered at booking.
wxguy and trooper like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 16, 19 at 5:05 pm
Old Sep 3, 19, 1:16 am

Programs: UA 1K; IHG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Hertz President's Circle
Iím curious about this too.

It probably isnít possible under normal circumstances, but they may allow it if space is available during check in.

Hope someone can share their experience here if theyíve been successful (at moving from X/XN to PE either with $$$ or few miles).
Old Sep 3, 19, 8:33 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by NYC2SGN View Post
It probably isnít possible under normal circumstances, but they may allow it if space is available during check in.

Hope someone can share their experience here if theyíve been successful (at moving from X/XN to PE either with $$$ or few miles).
Award buy-ups to a higher cabin, if offered, with be at check-in and $$$ only -- this has been past practice for economy to business

Search this Thread