Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO-PIT red eye not operating month of September 2019?

SFO-PIT red eye not operating month of September 2019?

Old Aug 14, 19, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA unwanted $20K 1K, 2.25MM; AA ExecPlat 1.2MM
Question SFO-PIT red eye not operating month of September 2019?

Seems to be discontinued from the end of August to first week of October. It doesn't line up exactly with the 28L construction at SFO so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. Couldn't find any announcement.

Anyone know what's going on?
Old Aug 14, 19, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 130 fsw View Post
Seems to be discontinued from the end of August to first week of October. It doesn't line up exactly with the 28L construction at SFO so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. Couldn't find any announcement.

Anyone know what's going on?
The summer schedule ends around mid-August; air travel demand goes down, so airlines trim their schedules. Red-eyes are among the first to get cut.
Old Aug 15, 19, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Interesting. I was planning on flying SFO-PIT on 9/17 and that redeye was definitely on the schedule last time I looked (maybe a week or 10 days ago).

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
The summer schedule ends around mid-August; air travel demand goes down, so airlines trim their schedules. Red-eyes are among the first to get cut.
Doesn't explain why the redeye reappears in early October.
Old Aug 15, 19, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
Interesting. I was planning on flying SFO-PIT on 9/17 and that redeye was definitely on the schedule last time I looked (maybe a week or 10 days ago).
That might indeed indicate a "28L runway" cut.
Old Aug 15, 19, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by narvik View Post
That might indeed indicate a "28L runway" cut.
Maybe, but how many 10:30 PM departures are there from SFO? Guess they could expect the backups to run into the evening, but yikes.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Maybe, but how many 10:30 PM departures are there from SFO? Guess they could expect the backups to run into the evening, but yikes.
It's not the departure bottleneck; presumably the frame is also not arriving SFO beforehand, etc.

Noticed they also cut one of the 2x daily SFO-MSP that comes back in October so guessing that's also runway-related, although I still half-expect them to drop the route entirely.
narvik likes this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I'm on an 11pm-ish flight a few times a year (not UA) and sometimes we're number "not 1, 2 or 3" for departure. Airport, esp. international departures, is quite busy.
Old Aug 15, 19, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
As of right now this link indexes roughly to 10:30pm last night -- use next/previous as necessary -- dunno if there are alternate URL parameters that allow absolute times, either here or on some other site...

https://flightaware.com/live/airport...time;sort=DESC

it's a mix of last short hop of the night to regional destinations, various redeyes, and Asia departures etc.

Search this Thread