Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR-SNA - who regulary flies? upgrades? frequency? .....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR-SNA - who regulary flies? upgrades? frequency? .....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
its definitely a high $$$ area, there's lots of people going between NY and OC.

I much prefer SNA over LAX and when I'm in the area, its usually to OC, not LA. I wish AC brought back YYZ-SNA.
NYC2SGN likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Random question: are BUR and ONT also elite heavy?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:09 am

Flown this route quite a bit, have cleared on the red eye (SNA-EWR) with an instrument as a Gold, but otherwise pretty elite heavy both ways. Also lack of lie flat seats for a route this long is a bit annoying.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
No. They also have next to no mainline service, but a lot of the money in LA is down by SNA and the rest make do with LAX.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
No, but there is no direct service to EWR out of either of those. Next closest aside from LAX would be SAN.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by deskover54
I feel like I've flown a 757 into SNA in the PMUA days. Don't recall to where, maybe denver. i recall the announcement about going up really fast and thinking ya a 757 has a lot of juice.
My understanding is that a 757 with enough fuel onboard to make it to EWR exceeds the runway length constraint for take off.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
My understanding is that a 757 with enough fuel onboard to make it to EWR exceeds the runway length constraint for take off.
Got it.

I am super curious though. If the runway were longer, do the economics make sense for PS service?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by deskover54
Got it.

I am super curious though. If the runway were longer, do the economics make sense for PS service?
i don’t think it supports full Ps. I like 3 flights a day and to get the loads you’d have to go down to 1 or 2.

however an upgraded 737 F experience would be nice

i got a surprise last second upgrade today as the doors were closing due to no snow.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
I honestly don’t know, but I doubt it. There may be days when they need to depart northbound in order to avoid the onerous southbound restrictions, but that’s it. UA’s PS 757s, which are low density, certainly wouldn’t have an issue. Keep in mind UA runs a 757 out of Lihue to Denver. Lihue’s runway is not much longer than SNA’s and the flight is roughly 50% farther.

The 757 is one of the most capable aircraft ever built. It can fly in and out of virtually any commercial airport, even those that are hot (Phoenix), high (La Paz, Bolivia) or with a short runway (Santa Ana).

Last edited by cmhua777; Aug 15, 2019 at 8:30 pm
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Nothing (former long-time Plat)
As said above, good luck upgrading on this one. Have probably cleared 2-3 instruments as a 1K over past 5 years. UA knows they have this market locked up. DL started up SNA-JFK last fall and ended it just three months later due to slot issues. My biggest issue that the 73G is slowwwwww and westbound flights run up to 6 hours in winter.

That being said, there is no greater pain in OC travel life than driving past SNA on your way to the chaos that is LAX.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The economics aren't there because nobody else flies SNA-NYC nonstop, and it's really hard to get people to pay almost double for a flatbed vs. recliner (CASM increase based on estimated pitch, plus throw in the added UC load) on a non-redeye.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I no longer have access to 757 performance data; however, you'd be hard pressed to find something a 737 can do that a 757 can not. The 757 is a very strong short-field performer.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by BURules
As said above, good luck upgrading on this one. Have probably cleared 2-3 instruments as a 1K over past 5 years. UA knows they have this market locked up. DL started up SNA-JFK last fall and ended it just three months later due to slot issues. My biggest issue that the 73G is slowwwwww and westbound flights run up to 6 hours in winter.

That being said, there is no greater pain in OC travel life than driving past SNA on your way to the chaos that is LAX.
Truth!
There is no greater torture than the rental car experience at LAX.

I suspect that the fantastic economy is the cause of no UG availability (i.e. that more flyers are just paying for F). I've been flying transcons in and out of SNA for 15+ years and used to get upgraded all the time. In recent years, it's been impossible to get a SNA UG to/from a hub. I now just pay for F for the SNA transcons, while flying in Y for the shorter routes.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I doubt it, for one thing, its not that long a stage and the 757 is much better than the 737 at shortfield performance.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by Yannick Concordel
No, but there is no direct service to EWR out of either of those. Next closest aside from LAX would be SAN.
PSP has a seasonal route too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.