United 787 - finished? {Rumor}

Old Aug 14, 19, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: United
Exclamation United 787 - finished? {Rumor}

I am flying quite a bit with UA and in the wake of the 737 Max disaster I learned about the quality issues with the 787 (parts not certified, stuff left in the plane when build, some important switches might not work) and we inquired if we could switch booked flights. They wanted proof of what we told them as reason and when we send them a recent article that also mentioned united (just as Dreamliner customer but still) the answer was a bit - strange:

"They said that on their side of the system there are no aircraft chosen for the flights we see as 787 because they are deciding whether to pull the plane type out of circulation. "

This is not really ensuring and - wait, what?
Anybody heard of that?

Last edited by Flying Scientist; Aug 14, 19 at 8:47 am
Old Aug 14, 19, 8:44 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Nonsense
jsloan, lincolnjkc, n198ua and 7 others like this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
This sounds like miscommunication.
boss315, jasonp622 and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Much as I would love the 787 to be removed by UA and replaced with the A350, that will always be firmly in my dreams.
moondog, UA_Flyer, am1108 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 9:34 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Scientist View Post
I am flying quite a bit with UA and in the wake of the 737 Max disaster I learned about the quality issues with the 787 (parts not certified, stuff left in the plane when build, some important switches might not work) and we inquired if we could switch booked flights. They wanted proof of what we told them as reason and when we send them a recent article that also mentioned united (just as Dreamliner customer but still) the answer was a bit - strange:

"They said that on their side of the system there are no aircraft chosen for the flights we see as 787 because they are deciding whether to pull the plane type out of circulation. "

This is not really ensuring and - wait, what?
Anybody heard of that?
Welcome to FT.

Who exactly are you quoting above? The quote is in the third person, which implies it did not come from United.

There have been reports of inexperienced travelers typing in google queries for United (and other airlines) that bring them to dodgy travel agencies that charge a fee to "help" them with their reservations while implying that they are directly connected to the airline involved. That might be the explanation for the strange answer that you got and quoted.
Old Aug 14, 19, 9:39 am
Original Poster

My assistant called the United Mileage Plus 1K help line and that was the answer we got...
Old Aug 14, 19, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My assistant called the United Mileage Plus 1K help line and that was the answer we got...
There is zero chance that UA will pull the 787 out of circulation absent the discovery of a problem or an order from the FAA to do so. They have 46 in the fleet currently and have ordered quite a few more. The articles that you read were sensationalized, likely due to the ongoing interest in the 737 MAX. If there were any actual safety concern, some regulator would have said something about it by now. Even if you don't trust (insert one regulator here), there are several others that could have stepped in.

Also, if there were any such plans from UA, there's no way that a 1K phone agent would be the first to know, or authorized to pass that along to customers. To take the 787 out of their fleet, they'd have to cut capacity immensely, and they'd have to drop routes like SFO-SIN entirely. They're not going to do that based upon a news article: they're going to trust their own mechanics to let them know if the plane weren't airworthy.
Old Aug 14, 19, 10:01 am
Original Poster

It appeared to me more like an appeasing comment to us but it nevertheless made me curious.
However, got to say that my trust in Boeing is pretty low currently so if its an Airbus I prefer that overall. And the 350 is lovely. Much quieter.

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
The idea is ludicrous. All reports are that UA is very pleased with the capabilities of its 787s, particularly the -9s. Their range and performance has equaled or exceeded expectations (e.g., SFO-SIN in the -9, IAD-PEK in the -10). Further, the biggest issues that airlines are having with the 787 are those that ordered it with the Rolls-Royce engines -- which have been problematic to say the least. UA's 787s have GE engines which have performed much better.
iflyjetz, jsloan, UA_Flyer and 3 others like this.

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Your assistant misunderstood.
moondog and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Possibly. However its also strange that the 1K person said that they do not see the aircraft type for the flights in their computer while you can see it when you book. They said to check 2 weeks before the flight as then they would know if they use a 787 - sounds ridiculous for me in an age where most people select their seats when booking,. And I have seen what happens if they have an aircraft type change on the gat. Not pleasant.
Old Aug 14, 19, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
There was a story on Flyertalk about the 787 being vulnerable to hacking. But this is unsubstantiated as of now:

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/d...-internet.html

So, hoopla on the back of a beleaguered company? Possibly. Problem is, Boeing did hide stuff before, so now they are automatically perceived as possibly guilty.

I cannot fathom what it would mean if this would be true for aviation in general. Airbus would not be able to compensate for all these B787 now circling the globe.

I would be careful until this is substantiated, if only for that reason. But I would also watch like a hawk any future product that Boeing comes up with, just like it should have been.
Old Aug 14, 19, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
There was a story on Flyertalk about the 787 being vulnerable to hacking. But this is unsubstantiated as of now:

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/d...-internet.html

So, hoopla on the back of a beleaguered company? Possibly. Problem is, Boeing did hide stuff before, so now they are automatically perceived as possibly guilty.

I cannot fathom what it would mean if this would be true for aviation in general. Airbus would not be able to compensate for all these B787 now circling the globe.

I would be careful until this is substantiated, if only for that reason. But I would also watch like a hawk any future product that Boeing comes up with, just like it should have been.
This is all a case of 'when it rains, it pours'. The media is obsessed with Boeing right now because of the Max, so they will continue to pump out clickbait articles that have zero credible information in them.
AndyInSaigon and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 10:25 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Possibly. However its also strange that the 1K person said that they do not see the aircraft type for the flights in their computer while you can see it when you book. They said to check 2 weeks before the flight as then they would know if they use a 787 - sounds ridiculous for me in an age where most people select their seats when booking,. And I have seen what happens if they have an aircraft type change on the gat. Not pleasant.
There is no such thing as a 1K desk or 1K person at United. You are just routed to a res agent more quickly and they are given a script to read thanking you for being a 1K etc. Depending on when your assistant called, you could have gotten the dreaded offshore call center where strange and amazing yarns are spun.

This sounds like a game of telephone with the United agent saying one thing to your assistant, the assistant repeating it with some imprecision to you, and then you offering a re-quotation of part of that conversation to us. Telephone games are fun, but they are not meant to be accurate!
Old Aug 14, 19, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
What is the flight date and city pair?

Search this Thread