Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United 787 - finished? {Rumor}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I'm a lot more cynical on the 787 "quality issues." The same "news" story tends to resurface in connection with the MAX program, usually driven by former employees who have a bone to pick with the general strategy of 787 final assembly in Charleston.

It feels bootstrapped, to me.
nancypants and Newman55 like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: United
Several trips. Coming back via Frankfurt (9/16) and via Brussels (10/22), all to EWR
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Flying Scientist
... However its also strange that the 1K person said that they do not see the aircraft type for the flights in their computer while you can see it when you book. They said to check 2 weeks before the flight as then they would know if they use a 787 - ....
This sounds like a miscommunication / misunderstanding of a common situation.

With all the changes of Polaris equipped or not aircraft and of PremiumPlus eqipped or not aircraft, some phone agents may be responding to questions about specific aircraft on a specific day with a generic statement on aircraft assignments are not made until a few days prior to departure (a true statement and which for some routes is a change of aircraft type), hence this kind of statement from the phone agent

Non-Polaris swap to/from Polaris seat re-assignment process
3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus, GS or J/C/D 1K may select pre-OCLI
jsloan and seenitall like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I think it's far more likely whoever your assistant talked to was thinking about 737 MAX and misunderstood or misspoke. The articles about "problems" with the 787 have all struck me as sensationalist band-wagon stories. While the 787 had teething problems with the new batteries, it seems to have quickly proven itself as a workhorse.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:08 pm

I'm not buying it.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
The (GE GEnx engine) 787 is the best aircraft I have ever piloted. Period. And I've flown a lot of different aircraft.

If I had my druthers, I'd want all airbus 319/320/321 for narrowbodies and all 787/777 for widebodies. I've flown all of those aircraft.

FWIW, I despised the 737 long before the Max rolled off the assembly line. I couldn't get off that fleet fast enough.
iluv2fly, UA_Flyer, am1108 and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 1:58 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
The first 787 flew in 2009 and as of June 2019 Boing had produced 859 planes and invested more than $32B in the program. It's not going anywhere. As a passenger who has spent many hours on the 787, I can say it is as good a plane as any I have ever been on. It's quiet and the higher level of pressurization is a big plus on long-haul flights.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 6:24 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by Flying Scientist
They wanted proof of what we told them as reason and when we send them a recent article that also mentioned united (just as Dreamliner customer but still) the answer was a bit - strange:

"They said that on their side of the system there are no aircraft chosen for the flights we see as 787 because they are deciding whether to pull the plane type out of circulation. "
Flying Scientist - UA, or any carrier, pulling the 787's from service would suggest a material issue compromising the safety of the aircraft.

As there has been no corresponding data/news/PRs/etc. to back up the assertation of UA considering pulling the 787s, this thread is being closed.

If you feel differently or have corroborating information to share, please contact the UA mod team and we will consider reopening the thread based.

Safe Travels,

J. Edward
UA forum co moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.