Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Benefits / Upgrades UA operated flight booked as partner codeshare / award [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2019, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
If your MP account is in the PNR, you will get all standard elite benefits and upgrade options for a partner codeshare UA operated flight as you would if this was booked via United / UA flight number. Same for partner awards although getting you UA MP account on the ticket may be an issue for some partners.

You will be able to access E+ seats, guest companions, Preimier Access boarding groups, eligible for CPU, apply RPUs/GPUs, get 1K/GS food/drink benefit, ....
Print Wikipost

Benefits / Upgrades UA operated flight booked as partner codeshare / award [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2016, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver

Asked on another thread and they redirected me to this one:

I'd like to transfer points from MR to Aeroplan and the reward flights Aeroplan have offered are on United (which is what I wanted, as I have silver on UA). Since the UA ticket will be issued by Aeroplan, will I still be able to purchase economy +? I don't want to wait til I check in as I'd like to ensure having the economy + seats prior to traveling internationally.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by turaluv
Asked on another thread and they redirected me to this one:

I'd like to transfer points from MR to Aeroplan and the reward flights Aeroplan have offered are on United (which is what I wanted, as I have silver on UA). Since the UA ticket will be issued by Aeroplan, will I still be able to purchase economy +? I don't want to wait til I check in as I'd like to ensure having the economy + seats prior to traveling internationally.
Yes, just go to united.com with the UA PNR you get from Aeroplan, pick the seat, and pay for it.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:57 am

Programs: United 1K,CX GOLD,SPG GOLD, Club Carlson GOLD, Accor PLAT, Amex PLAT

My mother has booked a trip from Canada to Australia. She has never flown in a bulkhead, let alone J. When she told me she was flying LAX>MEL I was confident it was UA's new 789 route - great, time to treat her!

Turns out, it is an Expedia booked, Air New Zealand codeshare of a UA operated flight. I called up UA to get the UA PNR via ticket # - agent informs me that she can give me the PNR but can do nothing to the reservation as it is NZ's ticket and NZ's Q turns into UA's T (asked in case I could GPU it)

Okay, grab UA PNR and then call up NZ to see if I can upfare her to W (already had NZ PNR). NZ says they cannot touch the ticket as it is Expedia booked. Call up Expedia who literally are the most useless people ever. Not sure he even knew what a fare class or ticket stock was.

Feeling hopeless, I pull up the reservation on UA's site thinking I could at least get her a good seat this far in advance. Notice it's offering me the upgrade to J for miles + co-pay. Perfect - she's headed to visit my sister over the holidays, merry Christmas! Upgrade confirms at booked and she is assigned the seat.

This is when it gets weird. Her UA reservation now shows the ticket cost going from 3k to 6K plus the miles being added. She has the ! A modification has been made.... note on her reservation on UA's site and I cannot pull it up on NZ's site anymore - says I have to contact them to make changes (wasn't the case originally).

My first concern now is if I have messed up her ticket. Secondly, can I secure her this upgrade or will contacting either airline get it removed. Thirdly, who do I call about this to fix it? Will UA say they can't re-issue as it isn't there's? Will NZ say they cannot touch it because Expedia? I just want to make sure my Mom's ticket isn't messed up when she gets to the airport and hopefully keep her confirmed J seat assignment.

TLDR: Tried to help my mom with an upgrade, may have messed something up. What do you suggest?
Old Sep 2, 2016, 6:30 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Call United to ask that they fix it. Sounds like they are still holding a Y seat for your mom.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hagan73
What do you suggest?
Call United.

Don't use OTAs.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:32 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
An OTA/TA purchased ticket is "controlled" by the TA until day of travel. If issued on 016 ticket stock you can, for a small fee, request UA takes control of the ticket. It may be NZ issued ticket stock which just makes it harder. Not sure if NZ will take control of a TA purchased ticket.

You should be able to do the upgrade with UA miles since this is a UA operated flight (even without UA taking control).
Originally Posted by hagan73
This is when it gets weird. Her UA reservation now shows the ticket cost going from 3k to 6K plus the miles being added. She has the ! A modification has been made.... note on her reservation on UA's site and I cannot pull it up on NZ's site anymore - says I have to contact them to make changes (wasn't the case originally). ...
The doubling of the price being reported online has been noted in FT reports -- likely just a web error but needs to be checked.

Bottom line, call UA to make sure the upgrade is OK and the price report is is in error.

This a a great reason to avoid OTA / codeshares.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 2, 2016 at 10:43 am Reason: cleaned-up posted
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Sounds like there are multiple layers of problems in this ticketing mess. It's easy to say don't use OTA's but in complex (code share) bookings, they have saved me thousands of dollars in the past.

I think that one of the problems here is that United's paid upgrade programming is wonky and often doesn't work properly - even with UA booked and ticketed flights. I tried to search out the threads where people have reported buying an upgrade at a very low price and then having various problems with payment and/or reticketing, but couldn't find these discussions. Perhaps they are embedded in other threads?

My recollection is that people who called in to fix the problems got put back in E- and often had to dispute the credit card charges later. Those who went to the airport with the upgraded seat reservation and insisted that they had bought the upgrade were sometimes comped the upgrade since the staff couldn't figure out how to charge them for it.

Depends on your tolerance for risk and uncertainty, but if you don't touch the messed up rebooking, your mom might get a free upgrade.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by transportprof
Depends on your tolerance for risk and uncertainty, but if you don't touch the messed up rebooking, your mom might get a free upgrade.
I can't imagine a scenario where I would ever let my mom show up at the airport with a ticket that is likely to have problems and require a lot of UA employees to fix it. I would definitely call UA and get things sorted out.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 12:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by transportprof
... I think that one of the problems here is that United's paid upgrade programming is wonky and often doesn't work properly - even with UA booked and ticketed flights. I tried to search out the threads where people have reported buying an upgrade at a very low price and then having various problems with payment and/or reticketing, but couldn't find these discussions. Perhaps they are embedded in other threads?

My recollection is that people who called in to fix the problems got put back in E- and often had to dispute the credit card charges later. Those who went to the airport with the upgraded seat reservation and insisted that they had bought the upgrade were sometimes comped the upgrade since the staff couldn't figure out how to charge them for it. ....
Believe you are confusing two different issues.

OP did a mileage upgrade (+copay), not a purely cash upgrade. The other issue of the online reported price is also likely a separate, previously reported issue.

The deceptive cash upgrade issue, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ly-booked.html, leaves a trail in your credit card records.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
it's probably o.k. I have done these before on other ticket stocks. As long as UA shows this ok as the operating carrier I would not worry too much (of course screen shots are a good idea .
Old Sep 3, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: United 1K,CX GOLD,SPG GOLD, Club Carlson GOLD, Accor PLAT, Amex PLAT
Here's what happened:

Mom got an email saying her LAX>MEL flight was cancelled.

Called up UA and they re-synced the ticket in a matter of seconds, zero issue. Wonderful!

Called up NZ who said that the segment had indeed dropped off the reservation, but was still on the ticket so that's all that mattered. Re-added flight to reservation, but still shows in Y on their systems. Said as long as UA sees the R, that's all that matters.

Check UA reservation again and now see double segments for the LAX>MEL. NZ re-adding the segment caused it to duplicate on UA's side as they had the confirmed R booking there. Called up UA who removed this extra segment. Everything looks perfect now! UA has the upgraded segment, and NZ has everything showing on their site properly as well.

Great!
Old Sep 3, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
It's great that you were able to cut the OTA out of fixing this snafu.

Watch the reservation like a hawk, because any sked change could easily set you back to square one.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
LAX-MEL has cancelled again?? Which day?
Old Sep 3, 2016, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
It wasn't.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:16 pm

United Plat - upgrade on UA flight, Air Canada codeshare.

I am a United Platinum and my company has booked me on a flight from the states to Dublin on Air Canada.

2 of the flights are actually United flights on an AC codeshare designation. These are flights that I would normally be upgraded to first, when booked on a UA designated flight. Will I be eligible for upgrade to first even though it is an AC codeshare flight or do I need to have my travel people rebook those flights on the UA designation?

Thanks,
dan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.