Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: SFO closing runway (28L), 7- 19 Sept 2019, 28L has reopened

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
updated

original

UA's San Francisco airport construction notice
San Francisco airport construction
The San Francisco International Airport (SFO) will close a major runway for repairs from September 7–26, and we expect it’ll cause flight cancellations and delays. We want to help, so we removed some flights from our schedule and rebooked customers to help reduce any disruptions to their travel plans.

We’re also offering a travel waiver that gives you flexibility to change your flight or connect in a different city. We will continue to work with other airports to rebook connecting customers through those cities while the airport runway is closed.

We recommend changing your flight or allowing more time to get to and from your destination. If that’s not possible, make sure you’re checking your flight status before you head to the airport.

The airport’s AirTrain will also be periodically closed at night due to AirTrain construction, so we recommend allowing extra time to get around the airport if you’re traveling in the evening and use the AirTrain to get between terminals. You can find more information on the San Francisco International Airport website.
20-Day Closure of Runway 28L at SFO Set to Begin on September 7th

Airlines implement voluntary flight schedule adjustments to reduce delays

SAN FRANCISCO - August 7, 2019 – the San Francisco International Airport (SFO) is set to close Runway 28L on September 7, 2019, for 20 days to construct a new base layer below the runway surface. The runway is expected to reopen on Friday, September 27, 2019.

Because the closure will reduce the Airport’s overall runway capacity, SFO advises travelers to expect delays during this period. Airlines have collaborated with SFO to voluntarily reduce their flight schedules to lessen the length of delays. When combined with reductions from other non-airline flight operations, total flights at SFO have been reduced by 13% during the 20 days of the runway 28L closure. Airlines have also re-timed certain flights to reduce demand during peak periods.

With the voluntary schedule adjustments in place, flight delays are expected to average 30-45 minutes, with some flights experiencing maximum delays of approximately 2 hours. SFO recommends that travelers opt for early morning flights before 9:00 a.m. PDT during this period, as delays are expected to begin after 9:00 a.m. PDT each day during the closure, and continue for the remainder of the day. Both domestic and international flights may be affected by this activity, with short-haul flights being most affected. The period of Wednesday through Friday will see the largest amount of flight activity, and thus the most potential for delays.

The closure is being conducted to construct a new base for Runway 28L, one of two runways used primarily for arriving flights, in the area where it intersects with Runway 1L and 1R, which are primarily used for departing flights. These runway intersections are the most heavily-traveled areas of the entire runway system at SFO, with more than 68% of all flights crossing these intersections.

The total length of Runway 28L is 11,381 feet. The project will reconstruct a 1,900-foot section of Runway 28L, replace lighting and drainage infrastructure, and overlay a 600-foot section of Runway 1L.SFO repaved the entire top layer of Runway 28L in spring 2017. During this project, core sampling and ground-penetrating radar indicated that the base layer was showing signs of fatigue cracking due to a large amount of aircraft activity in this area. This issue required additional investigation and engineering that could not be addressed at that time. SFO staff have evaluated multiple options and concluded that the best long-term solution is to excavate the section of Runway 28L at the intersection of Runway 1L and 1R to reconstruct the pavement structure, comprised of a cementitious aggregate base and a top asphalt surface.

With input from airlines at SFO, the project team selected September 7-27, 2019 for the closure to avoid the busy summer and year-end holiday travel seasons. This timeframe was also chosen for the low probability of precipitation, as dry weather is necessary for asphalt paving.

The contract for the Runway 28L Reconstruction project was awarded to Golden Gate Constructors. The project is federally-funded, and the total project cost is expected to be $16.2 million.
Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: SFO closing runway (28L), 7- 19 Sept 2019, 28L has reopened

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by Starman
Yes, that was my reaction too -- I'm perplexed by what the waiver is supposed to accomplish? I guess if you're departing SFO, you could switch to the first flight of the same morning in an effort to avoid delays??
Basically that, or if you have critical meetings you can switch to a flight the day before just in case of delay.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
The nicest thing.. I received an email and a text from UA concerning this for a flight I have that may be affected
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:45 am

My wife just got an email message about this. We booked tickets several months ago for a trip on 9/10 to Singapore, leaves out of LAX to SFO and then on to SIN. Our LAX to SFO is fairly early departs at 6:30 and arrives at 8 am with a 3 hour layover before departing for SIN. Not too worried about that. We return to SFO on the 19th at night and are at a nearby hotel until the next morning at 9:30 when we fly to LAX. So who knows if we will be delayed but several news sources I found online announced this closure back in late March when SFO scheduled it. Not sure why UA waited so long to tell us. When I logged in to look at the trip recently the only warning message is about having the right travel documents for an international flight.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Since the work will focus on the intersections with 1R and 1L, presumably each of those runways will also be closed at times during the 20 day period?
Originally Posted by Starman
Yes, that was my reaction too -- I'm perplexed by what the waiver is supposed to accomplish? I guess if you're departing SFO, you could switch to the first flight of the same morning in an effort to avoid delays??
Makes sense, since the link provided by cardinal98 states that SFO will be implementing a delay program every day beginning at 9 am.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
My wife just got an email message about this. We booked tickets several months ago for a trip on 9/10 to Singapore, leaves out of LAX to SFO and then on to SIN. Our LAX to SFO is fairly early departs at 6:30 and arrives at 8 am with a 3 hour layover before departing for SIN. Not too worried about that. We return to SFO on the 19th at night and are at a nearby hotel until the next morning at 9:30 when we fly to LAX. So who knows if we will be delayed but several news sources I found online announced this closure back in late March when SFO scheduled it. Not sure why UA waited so long to tell us. When I logged in to look at the trip recently the only warning message is about having the right travel documents for an international flight.
Agreed with you here - my wife and I are booked SFO - SIN via TPE on the 12th - don't know if I should try and change or not? We have a overnight layover in TPE, so it wouldn't be too bad if the flight was delayed. Cancellation is an issue, but it's booked on the same ITIN, so we're protected.

I did book these tickets using mileage award - should I call in to an agent if I want to change? I tired to do it online, but couldn't find any availability.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Just wondering if I should change any of these. I see it says Wed-Fri will be the most affected delays and luckily we arnt transiting through those days. Do you guys think I should change these? For the flight to SIN, it is the earliest flight of the day so my only option would be flying in the night before. Returning home to EWR I am reluctant to change because our GPU's already cleared. I am just worried if our incoming flight from SIN would be delayed causing us to miss the connection. We both have global entry and clear/pre-check so we would be able to expedite the transit.

TUE SEP 10 EWR-SFO 0600-0911 [GPU's waitlisted]
TUE SEP 10 SFO-SIN 1110-1845

MON SEP 16 SIN-SFO 2100-2105
MON SEP 16 SFO-EWR 2330-0742 [GPU's cleared]
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Thanks for bumping up this thread! ^ I hadn't noticed it initially.

I am planning to fly LAX-GVA during this period. I was looking at itineraries that connect through SFO. I no longer am.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
1K desk is refusing to route me KOA-HNL-DEN because the first leg is on HA. Anyone have luck pressing them for a change that isn't on UA metal? I really don't want to route through LAX if I can avoid it. KOA-DEN direct is booked solid.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by xkr0p
Just wondering if I should change any of these. I see it says Wed-Fri will be the most affected delays and luckily we arnt transiting through those days. Do you guys think I should change these? For the flight to SIN, it is the earliest flight of the day so my only option would be flying in the night before. Returning home to EWR I am reluctant to change because our GPU's already cleared. I am just worried if our incoming flight from SIN would be delayed causing us to miss the connection. We both have global entry and clear/pre-check so we would be able to expedite the transit.

TUE SEP 10 EWR-SFO 0600-0911 [GPU's waitlisted]
TUE SEP 10 SFO-SIN 1110-1845

MON SEP 16 SIN-SFO 2100-2105
MON SEP 16 SFO-EWR 2330-0742 [GPU's cleared]
Generally speaking intercontinental flights are the least inconvenienced, usually there are no delays and these flights get first priority over domestic flights. I wouldn’t worry about the return ticket.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by freeagent

Generally speaking intercontinental flights are the least inconvenienced, usually there are no delays and these flights get first priority over domestic flights. I wouldn’t worry about the return ticket.
Okay thanks. I really dont see any better options considering both of my EWR/SFO flights are the first and last flights of the day
Old Aug 26, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
What are your thoughts on an 8 AM departure LAX to SFO , You think that flow control would be instituted at that time?
Old Aug 26, 2019, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
What are your thoughts on an 8 AM departure LAX to SFO , You think that flow control would be instituted at that time?
The airport release specifically says 9 am (which is the standard timing for SFO delay management program).
Old Aug 26, 2019, 12:48 pm

I have a basic economy ticket routing STS-SFO-IAH-MEX. My connection in SFO is 31 minutes. United.com shows that the itinerary is eligible for the waiver but when I try to change flights to SFO-MEX it charges me $400 fare difference plus $200 change fee. Any way around this?
Old Aug 26, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
Flying SEA-SFO-HNL on 9/23. Given this new travel notice, is 1hr 53min layover sufficient?
Old Aug 26, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by rrapynot
I have a basic economy ticket routing STS-SFO-IAH-MEX. My connection in SFO is 31 minutes. United.com shows that the itinerary is eligible for the waiver but when I try to change flights to SFO-MEX it charges me $400 fare difference plus $200 change fee. Any way around this?
you could try calling. You’re likely being charged a change fee as you are changing your origin, which is not covered by the travel waiver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.