Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: SFO closing runway (28L), 7- 19 Sept 2019, 28L has reopened

Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
updated

original

UA's San Francisco airport construction notice
San Francisco airport construction
The San Francisco International Airport (SFO) will close a major runway for repairs from September 7–26, and we expect it’ll cause flight cancellations and delays. We want to help, so we removed some flights from our schedule and rebooked customers to help reduce any disruptions to their travel plans.

We’re also offering a travel waiver that gives you flexibility to change your flight or connect in a different city. We will continue to work with other airports to rebook connecting customers through those cities while the airport runway is closed.

We recommend changing your flight or allowing more time to get to and from your destination. If that’s not possible, make sure you’re checking your flight status before you head to the airport.

The airport’s AirTrain will also be periodically closed at night due to AirTrain construction, so we recommend allowing extra time to get around the airport if you’re traveling in the evening and use the AirTrain to get between terminals. You can find more information on the San Francisco International Airport website.
20-Day Closure of Runway 28L at SFO Set to Begin on September 7th

Airlines implement voluntary flight schedule adjustments to reduce delays

SAN FRANCISCO - August 7, 2019 – the San Francisco International Airport (SFO) is set to close Runway 28L on September 7, 2019, for 20 days to construct a new base layer below the runway surface. The runway is expected to reopen on Friday, September 27, 2019.

Because the closure will reduce the Airport’s overall runway capacity, SFO advises travelers to expect delays during this period. Airlines have collaborated with SFO to voluntarily reduce their flight schedules to lessen the length of delays. When combined with reductions from other non-airline flight operations, total flights at SFO have been reduced by 13% during the 20 days of the runway 28L closure. Airlines have also re-timed certain flights to reduce demand during peak periods.

With the voluntary schedule adjustments in place, flight delays are expected to average 30-45 minutes, with some flights experiencing maximum delays of approximately 2 hours. SFO recommends that travelers opt for early morning flights before 9:00 a.m. PDT during this period, as delays are expected to begin after 9:00 a.m. PDT each day during the closure, and continue for the remainder of the day. Both domestic and international flights may be affected by this activity, with short-haul flights being most affected. The period of Wednesday through Friday will see the largest amount of flight activity, and thus the most potential for delays.

The closure is being conducted to construct a new base for Runway 28L, one of two runways used primarily for arriving flights, in the area where it intersects with Runway 1L and 1R, which are primarily used for departing flights. These runway intersections are the most heavily-traveled areas of the entire runway system at SFO, with more than 68% of all flights crossing these intersections.

The total length of Runway 28L is 11,381 feet. The project will reconstruct a 1,900-foot section of Runway 28L, replace lighting and drainage infrastructure, and overlay a 600-foot section of Runway 1L.SFO repaved the entire top layer of Runway 28L in spring 2017. During this project, core sampling and ground-penetrating radar indicated that the base layer was showing signs of fatigue cracking due to a large amount of aircraft activity in this area. This issue required additional investigation and engineering that could not be addressed at that time. SFO staff have evaluated multiple options and concluded that the best long-term solution is to excavate the section of Runway 28L at the intersection of Runway 1L and 1R to reconstruct the pavement structure, comprised of a cementitious aggregate base and a top asphalt surface.

With input from airlines at SFO, the project team selected September 7-27, 2019 for the closure to avoid the busy summer and year-end holiday travel seasons. This timeframe was also chosen for the low probability of precipitation, as dry weather is necessary for asphalt paving.

The contract for the Runway 28L Reconstruction project was awarded to Golden Gate Constructors. The project is federally-funded, and the total project cost is expected to be $16.2 million.
Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: SFO closing runway (28L), 7- 19 Sept 2019, 28L has reopened

Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:28 pm

United's travel waiver won't let me cancel and get a refund on SFO-LAX booked for next week, only a credit valid for a year. Should I escalate to a supervisor, HUCA, wait to see if canceled or take the credit?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HGPilot
United's travel waiver won't let me cancel and get a refund on SFO-LAX booked for next week, only a credit valid for a year. Should I escalate to a supervisor, HUCA, wait to see if canceled or take the credit?
That's the policy unless you have a reason for an exception. And HUCA is always an option but I suspect the instructions are pretty clear, as this has been a major event.

If you wait, make sure you don't wait too late to cancel if UA does not cancel.

What time of day is your flight?
Has it been canceled this week?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by whereiswaldo
How do 6:00 am SFO departures look like? I would guess delays would still be fairly minimal at this time.

And will UA allow to switch to an Air Canada code share (P tix for what it is worth)? Any experiences?
Yesterday, I was scheduled to fly the 7:21 PM YYZ-SFO on a United operated flight (the ticket was an 016). I called United around 2:00 PM and they switched me to the AC operated 4:55 PM flight without any issues. I was in Y though...so unsure about P.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by wyseson
Does anyone know if UA offering hotels to people who miss their connections?
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Local paper coverage of story says no, with most hotels booked full. Not sure if there have been exceptions for elites...
I was wondering the same, as I have a potentially risky ~2.5 hr connection through SFO next week without a reasonable alternative routing. Sounds like they certainly aren't giving hotels out to all pax, but any experiences on whether they are still providing a hotel for 1K's that misconnect due to the runway closure?
Old Sep 12, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I was on the 6:30AM flight out of LAX today. We pushed back a few minutes early, and then...sat at the gate for another 20 minutes before heading over to the penalty box to wait out an "ATC Flow into SFO" delay. We ended up pulling up to the gate about 40 minutes late. And that was for a 6:30AM departure with an 8AM scheduled arrival time.

I was very glad that I had switched from the 8:00 flight -- which got delayed 2 hours. I still would have made my connection to HKG, but far more stressfully.

In looking at the current departure board, most flights are running on time as of now, with a few cancellations and nasty delays.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SS255
I was on the 6:30AM flight out of LAX today. We pushed back a few minutes early, and then...sat at the gate for another 20 minutes before heading over to the penalty box to wait out an "ATC Flow into SFO" delay. We ended up pulling up to the gate about 40 minutes late. And that was for a 6:30AM departure with an 8AM scheduled arrival time.
Yes, the normal assumptions about timing of SFO traffic management program ("you're safe before 9 am") are now out the window . It appears no flights are truly "safe," with the exception of the international arrivals, which are exempt.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, the normal assumptions about timing of SFO traffic management program ("you're safe before 9 am") are now out the window . It appears no flights are truly "safe," with the exception of the international arrivals, which are exempt.
Do international arrivals from Canada get exempted?
Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AS
Looks like construction is ahead of schedule:
https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...php?psid=mE0sG
Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by transportprof
No.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:47 pm

My STS-SFO segment from a STS-SFO-MEX trip was cancelled so instead I flew SFO-MEX. Submitted for refund and I'm getting back a whopping $3.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: AC SE
As was mentioned, no. In practice, the ground delay generally impacts the airports in Western Canada - YVR, YYC, YEG. If you look at the flight status for these cities over the past week, you'll see a ton of significant delays and cancellations.

YYZ generally doesn't get impacted as much as longer transcon flights.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Brutal delay already on this evenings 9pm red eye HNL-SFO to 2:30am. Opted for refund.

I didn't ask, but suspect TSA doesn't stick around so I'd have to get to the airport probably near the original departure time and just sit at the airport for hours with everything closed.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by rrapynot
My STS-SFO segment from a STS-SFO-MEX trip was cancelled so instead I flew SFO-MEX. Submitted for refund and I'm getting back a whopping $3.
Haha I wonder if a PP bartender might be offended at such a tip, or a homeless person in NYC; I once had one in front of the Plaza Hotel ask me for a $20. We’re still cracking up about that, decades later.

I tried the STS-SFO flight when it was introduced. The time window was narrow for getting up for a stretch(!), but I enjoyed every inch of the ground view. I trust you took the Sonoma County Airport Express instead.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I didn't ask, but suspect TSA doesn't stick around so I'd have to get to the airport probably near the original departure time and just sit at the airport for hours with everything closed.
Terminal 3 TSA is open until midnight. (Last scheduled flight out is 12:30am I think). However Intl G TSA is open until 1am as multiple flights depart around 1:30am.

After around midnight they start playing announcements warning people not to leave the secure area as they will not be able to get back in.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 4:12 pm

You means are flights from Canada exempt?
Well, I would hope so as AC would try to land anyway

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.