Seemingly invalid SDC itinerary offered

Old Aug 13, 19, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Seemingly invalid SDC itinerary offered

I'm on a saver award ticket (IN) SFO - LAX - SYD. The nonstop SFO - SYD on the same day is PZ1 IN0. But after check in, the app shows me and my non-status companion the option to confirm SFO - SYD in C for $0. This surprised me as I thought IN would have to be greater than zero. I don't fully trust the app so I called an agent -- they tried to make an exception to put us on the flight but in the end could not without 120k additional miles (to go from IN -> JN).

Should I try to do this via the app? Or do I risk it "undoing" itself shortly, either automatically by the system or manual review. Thank you.
Old Aug 13, 19, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE, BA Silver
It could be an app glitch. I'm on a Biz award (IN) tonight and Flight Options is showing me an alternative itinerary in 'C' (not IN) also (in my case a connecting flight rather than direct). I don't trust it.
Old Aug 13, 19, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mck9235 View Post
Should I try to do this via the app? Or do I risk it "undoing" itself shortly, either automatically by the system or manual review. Thank you.
There are occasional reports of the app offering last-seat availability for SDCs. It's generally thought to be due to UA trying to clear space on an oversold flight.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate, but my tolerance for calling up UA and expecting them to fix things if they go sideways is pretty high.

I wouldn't expect it to be clawed back, or for there to be any manual review. If something's going to go wrong, it'll likely be right away, as it's trying to reissue the ticket. If you're able to get the ticket reissued and check in for the new flight, I don't anticipate any problems.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 19, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by mck9235 View Post
I wouldn't risk it unless I had a dangerously short connection at LAX.

This way you get both Polaris lounges
Old Aug 13, 19, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K
I suspect you would receive some sort of error at the very last step. I've had a number of mistakes that seem too good to be true fail at the final "checkout" step. But if it was me I would try it and if they undid it later I would call and complain and escalate to a supervisor until they at least put it back the way it was so I was no worse off.
DJ_Iceman and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Aug 13, 19, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
I'd check-in, get my BPs, and then check-in again to move over. That way if there's a glitch, you have your original itinerary and BPs to show in case you need manual intervention.
coolbeans202 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 19, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Worth a shot as long as you trust you can reach a human at UA to restore your original ticket before the seats disappear when something goes wrong.
Old Aug 13, 19, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
I'd check-in, get my BPs, and then check-in again to move over. That way if there's a glitch, you have your original itinerary and BPs to show in case you need manual intervention.
That manual intervention could be dicey and painful. Sometimes you just need to be thanlkful for what you have.
Old Aug 13, 19, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd take the risk...but it is indeed a risk.

My greatest SDC was still moving SEA-LAX to SEA-EWR-LAX on the app. Certainly helped me re-qualify faster!
Old Aug 13, 19, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, DL DM, AS MVPG, MR Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
I'd take the risk...but it is indeed a risk.

My greatest SDC was still moving SEA-LAX to SEA-EWR-LAX on the app. Certainly helped me re-qualify faster!
And here I am thinking I am clever for sometimes changing DFW-LAX to DFW-IAH-DEN-LAX on a slow day.
CREN and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Aug 13, 19, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
I still regret I didn't have time to do LAX-LIH-SFO (in F, 752 lie-flats) in lieu of LAX-SFO.
Old Aug 13, 19, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
I've had SDC offer me options that were misconnects. One was EWR-SFO-PDX where EWR-SFO was delayed four hours, enough to misconnect on SFO-PDX. I wouldn't have noticed if I had not gone to just look at the normal flight status.
Old Aug 13, 19, 1:22 pm
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
It was a few years ago (searching for R space) EWR-LHR and I was able confirm a single GPU EWR-SFO-LAX-LHR ended up with a night in SFO having dinner with friends and was able to SDC again for a direct SFO-LHR the next day.
Kacee, btonkid12345 and Unionruler like this.
Old Aug 13, 19, 1:39 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
I realize there is a risk of things going wrong, but why wouldn't the responsibility be on United to make it right? The average PAX knows nothing about IN vs J. If the app is offering you the switch, and if it goes through without crapping out (that's a big if), I would think United is responsible for getting you on that flight (or compensate you if they then can't)
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 19, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
go for it. If it doesn't go through it will mess things up ... then you just call and have an agent fix it. Not your problem!
btonkid12345 likes this.

Search this Thread