Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seemingly invalid SDC itinerary offered

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Seeing as OP is likely flying tonight, hopefully s/he comes back and reports what the ultimate action and outcome was!
Kannai likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Collierkr
That manual intervention could be dicey and painful. Sometimes you just need to be thanlkful for what you have.
Regardless United is responsible for getting OP from origin to destination. They'll either get them back on the original itinerary, or it basically becomes completely flexible, where OP can choose whatever to get them there. No risk besides some possible time wasted (or saved if the SDC works on the app!)
Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's all well and good to talk about "UA being responsible" but I personally do not enjoy spending 60 minutes on the phone convincing UA to fix something I very well knew might break when I tried it. And while my success record on these things is close to 100%, it really helps to be a long-time 1K and a professional advocate. Not everyone shares those attributes.

Again, only worth it to me if there's a tight connection at LAX.
phkc070408 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
My greatest SDC was still moving SEA-LAX to SEA-EWR-LAX on the app. Certainly helped me re-qualify faster!
Mine was a few months ago. Changed MSY-SFO-LAX (with a confirmed MUA) to MSY-EWR-LAX in First & Business. ^
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the quick responses. I went ahead and did the SDC through the app for both PNRs (plat and no status, both booked with plat miles) and they went through - we both ended up confirmed on SFO - SYD in business. Our boarding passes listed the fare class as C despite it being booked as IN. Never heard anything about it at check in / lounge / gate.

I never saw IN open on the flight through T-3. At that point I could no longer search for it as a new flight booking and lost track of it from there. In the end about 9 non revs seemed to clear into Polaris based on names being present on both economy and business upgrade lists.

We were very happy to cut out a nearly 6 hour layover in LAX. And thank you all again for the advice and feedback - I’ve learned a lot from many of you here as a silent observer.
sbm12, jsloan, DenverBrian and 9 others like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Too bad it's a zero-dollar coupon or you might be in line for some PQMs as well
Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
I'm glad it all worked out for the OP. I would probably have rolled the dice (even not knowing the outcome), because I just naively assume that it would be up to United to fix if something went wrong.

Originally Posted by Kacee
I still regret I didn't have time to do LAX-LIH-SFO (in F, 752 lie-flats) in lieu of LAX-SFO.
My biggest regret is not turning a FRA-IAD into FRA-SFO-IAD all in C/F. I hesitated, but when I went back to do it the option was gone.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 6:10 pm

Did we confirm if mileage posted for the flight?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
There's no mileage to post. The original fare was $0 since IN was an award bucket. The change to a revenue bucket doesn't change the underlying fare paid, which is still $0
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by diburning
There's no mileage to post. The original fare was $0 since IN was an award bucket. The change to a revenue bucket doesn't change the underlying fare paid, which is still $0
PQD would be 0, but there might be PQM, unless 0 PQD triggers 0 PQM.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by CIT85
It does. Rebooked award tickets never earn.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CIT85
That is what happens. [edit: beat to the punch! too many tabs. ]

Credit might be possible with another *A carrier, though.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
That is what happens. [edit: beat to the punch! too many tabs. ]

Credit might be possible with another *A carrier, though.
correct
Old Aug 17, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I’m on saver award first tomorrow and the app is offering other flights in C, but the seat preview map is showing all seats full which isn’t the case.

thoughts?
Old Aug 17, 2019, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I’m on saver award first tomorrow and the app is offering other flights in C, but the seat preview map is showing all seats full which isn’t the case.

thoughts?
go for it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.