standby or upgrade on award travel

Old Aug 13, 19, 10:25 am
Original Poster

I had one more thought about this: Since we are booking these flights long in advance, there's probably a good chance that one of the flight times will change. I mean, maybe they will not -- but it would not surprise me. If the flight times do change, in a way that -- for example -- would make our layover longer, would United then be wiling to change our award ticket to the shorter connection in LAX? Or do they only do that sort of thing if the flight time change creates an illegal connection or something like that?

Last edited by Chamor; Aug 13, 19 at 1:50 pm
Old Aug 13, 19, 4:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Chamor View Post
I had one more thought about this: Since we are booking these flights long in advance, there's probably a good chance that one of the flight times will change. I mean, maybe they will not -- but it would not surprise me. If the flight times do change, in a way that -- for example -- would make our layover longer, would United then be wiling to change our award ticket to the shorter connection in LAX? Or do they only do that sort of thing if the flight time change creates an illegal connection or something like that?
Usually it would take at least a 30 min change and then there is a chance an agent might agree to i. >2hour change and it the odds of change greater increase. Od course you can ask with any change and there is a finite chance of successThis sort of change might occur as UA does seasonal adjustments, 3 months or so out from departure.