Part of UAL History: PEOPLExpress

Old Aug 12, 19, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Part of UAL History: PEOPLExpress

PEOPLExpress > Continental > United:
Pics from my collection showing First Class 747 service...I especially liked the burgundy leather seats:

Old Aug 12, 19, 3:34 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
It really takes me back. I think I found the purple leather offensive even then, but now it looks so completely absurd!
Old Aug 12, 19, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1.5MM Platinum, UC Lifetime , HHonors Diamond
I was more than happy to sit in that purple leather up front for only $200 RT EWR-LAX. So were a number of C-list celebrities.
moondog and AirlineLoop like this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 8MiHi View Post
I was more than happy to sit in that purple leather up front for only $200 RT EWR-LAX.
Reminds me of TowerAir, well..., except the "EWR" and "purple" part!
Old Aug 12, 19, 10:11 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
For a while, I commuted every weekend on PE between WAS and EWR. Price varied between $19 and $39 each way. You wedged your credit card into the tray table hook in front of you, and waited for the FA to come along, imprint it on a ticket (well before swiping), and leave you with the receipt leaf. But service wasn't very reliable. No reservations, you had to come early, and camp out on line for the next flight. And PE flew from the old North Terminal at EWR.
Artpen100 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
I thought they had reservations - but they may have cost extra. I do remember paying n-board.
BearX220 and AndyInSaigon like this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by seenitall View Post
For a while, I commuted every weekend on PE between WAS and EWR. Price varied between $19 and $39 each way. You wedged your credit card into the tray table hook in front of you, and waited for the FA to come along, imprint it on a ticket (well before swiping), and leave you with the receipt leaf. But service wasn't very reliable. No reservations, you had to come early, and camp out on line for the next flight. And PE flew from the old North Terminal at EWR.
Time is making this fuzzy but I remember them in the old North Terminal but then switching to Terminal C when the airport was rebuilt.

edit: Were Terminals A and C built before C? I have vague recollection Terminal C was built after the other two and People Express was the first occupant, moving over from the old one on the north side.

Last edited by JimInOhio; Aug 12, 19 at 12:27 pm
Old Aug 12, 19, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by 8MiHi View Post
I was more than happy to sit in that purple leather up front for only $200 RT EWR-LAX. So were a number of C-list celebrities.

Fares were low, but I donít recall $200 r/t. I do remember $199 one way. Keep in mind. $200 in 1985 is about $500 today.
Old Aug 12, 19, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
I thought they had reservations - but they may have cost extra. I do remember paying n-board.
I seem to recall a drink cart with cash register on top.
narvik likes this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 12:23 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
You did reserve PE in advance, and they had a printout of "confirmed" reservations that they checked off at the gate.

$19 flights EWR-BUF and EWR-BOS were a part of my courtship of Mrs. Transportprof, back in the day.

I never did the flight to LGW, but I believe that you could buy a bottle of Dom onboard for $50 in 1982, or thereabouts.
BearX220 and narvik like this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 12:45 pm

The crown jewel of post bk CAL was EWR... to bad the great PeX employees got screwed over by Frankie smooth talk & his henchmen.
Old Aug 12, 19, 12:58 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.8MM 1K , DL working my way up, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, BW Plat, Hertz #1 Gold PC, Avis Preferred
Flew the London - US roundtrip twice in F in the 1980s. The fare was an amazing £99 each way. Service and food were both good. But the large leather seats in the nose of the 747 (I sat in 1A) were not burgundy but beige, at least on the flights I took.
narvik likes this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
They didn't have reservations at first (I took a college sports trip with them in january 1982, and we were all hoping our coach wouldn't get on. But they introduced them pretty quickly, given the chaos.

Lived in NJ afterwards. The deals were unbelievable.
Old Aug 12, 19, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1.5MM Platinum, UC Lifetime , HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by zrs70 View Post

Fares were low, but I donít recall $200 r/t. I do remember $199 one way. Keep in mind. $200 in 1985 is about $500 today.
When they first started their 747 EWR-LAX service they had RT Y service at $99 and RT F for $200 to $250. F had to be reserved in advance.
The also started their FF plan.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
$19 flights EWR-BUF and EWR-BOS were a part of my courtship of Mrs. Transportprof, back in the day.
I lived @ BTV in the early / mid 1980s. The RT fare to NYC on USAir was circa $295. PE opened BTV charging $19 off-peak, $29 peak. Cheaper than Vermont Transit (the Greyhound subsidiary). Suddenly my friends and I were taking our (duly impressed) girlfriends to Manhattan for Sunday brunch daytrips. And suddenly PE was putting six or seven stretch 727s into BTV daily. PE was entirely unsustainable and chaotically run, but had a huge effect on relationship cultivation, back in the day.
8MiHi likes this.

Search this Thread