Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO to BOS PS Redeye with early morning meeting - strategies?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO to BOS PS Redeye with early morning meeting - strategies?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:53 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Huh? What theory is this? I mean we aren't talking about laying out with blankets etc ;-)
The UC rules explicitly state
Sleeping is prohibited in all United Club locations.
Is sleeping allowed at any United {Club} lounges?

It more than just a matter of blankets -- such as snoring or spawling on the furniture or ...
But there is a thread already for that discussion
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The UC rules explicitly state

Is sleeping allowed at any United {Club} lounges?

It more than just a matter of blankets -- such as snoring or spawling on the furniture or ...
But there is a thread already for that discussion
Interesting. Thanks!

Now if they can just keep feet off the furniture we will have a cleaner place to "sleep".
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Just FYI there is a later flight at 11:45pm. I am taking that in a couple of weeks. As my meeting wasn't until late morning this gets you in at 8:30'ish. Play it slow and you are on the lee side of rush hour. I head to the airport, try not to drink too much maybe a glass of wine and basically sleep the flight. What time is your meeting, I may have missed that.
As far as a nap, I have "passed out"/slept briefly in the back business section of UC at the desk and no one said anything but I am well aware of the no sleeping rule.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
My suggestion -
Adjust your sleep pattern in West Coast by waking up East Coast time for the full week prior and STAY awake. Basically 4AM PDT daily and avoid any naps over 20 minutes.
No fluids or meals within 2.5 hr of departure.
First to board red-eye, get a window seat, push down window shade {even though this an unsafe practice during take-off/landing}, put on eyemask and ear plugs and zonk out! You may need to wake up after 10k to adjust your seat but maybe you are zonked out and will sleep the entire trip. I've done this and shocked!
I've been able to sleep takeoff to landing and semi-functional for the day.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Appreciate all of the guidance! Sadly no hotel for me to check into, as I'll be off to NYC later in the day (where my hotel will be for the night / next few days). Does anyone recommend using sleep aids (e.g., Z-Quil, etc.)? And sadly can't get on the 4:15 flight as I have mtgs till 5 PM in SF
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hardworking21
Does anyone recommend using sleep aids (e.g., Z-Quil, etc.)? (
No! They will make you groggy.
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Huh? What theory is this? I mean we aren't talking about laying out with blankets etc ;-)
It's not a theory. It's the published rule and it is sometimes enforced.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hardworking21
Appreciate all of the guidance! Sadly no hotel for me to check into, as I'll be off to NYC later in the day (where my hotel will be for the night / next few days). Does anyone recommend using sleep aids (e.g., Z-Quil, etc.)? And sadly can't get on the 4:15 flight as I have mtgs till 5 PM in SF
Go to bed early the day before, and get up early the day of the flight. Better yet, start two days early if possible. Certainly, as Kacee said, don't use sleep aids, and especially not if for the first time.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Sadly, I have done red-eyes a lot in my career.

I use 5 mg of zaleplan when I board so that i can go to sleep soon after takeoff. This seems to work better than Ambien although they are in the same class of sleeping medication. Alternatively, you can drink half a bottle of Dreamwater, which also seems to do the trick - of knocking me out.

The problem with medications is that if you have to deplane for any reason (eg. medical emergency), you will be groggy and may fall asleep while waiting for the plane to reboard. THAT has happened to me.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:28 pm

It seems like the advice "don't use a sleep aid for the first time, not knowing how it will affect your body, on a flight where being awake upon landing is critical" is good advice.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by threeoh
It seems like the advice "don't use a sleep aid for the first time, not knowing how it will affect your body, on a flight where being awake upon landing is critical" is good advice.
Agree plus a transcon is too short for many to fully flush from their system
Sleeping pills and planes: Embarrassing tales from 35,000 feet
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:23 pm

Every trip I take is a "redeye to a meeting" scenario.

Often they are 9 to 10 hour flights and I can get a shower before hand. Sometimes I can't get a shower but I never get a nap.

I employ the "coffee nap" strategy: I ask the FAs to wake me up and give me 2 black coffees with an ice cube about 45 min before landing. After I drink them (quickly) I put my eyeshade back on and doze off.

When the airplane lands I wake up, generally by this point the caffeine is hitting my bloodstream in full force. By the time we are on the gate I'm off and running past everyone in the terminal on full go mode. I have a protein bar in the car on the way to the meeting or hotel and I'm set to function close to 100% all day long.

While I'm normally on longer flights, I have had great success with this method on 5.5 hour transcons.

Last edited by CDSEA; Aug 17, 2019 at 12:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.