Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wrong flight number for MSY - IAD in reservation and united.com

Old Aug 11, 19, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, Marriott

I'm flying MSY - IAD - YYZ on August 20th. My original reservation shows MSY - IAD is UA740 and IAD - YYZ is UA2420. After calling in to upfare I now show that MSY - IAD is also listed as UA2420.

Original reservation

after change

I've checked on Google flights and it shows the MSY-IAH 16:01 flight as UA2420 on August 20th, while showing it as UA740 on every other day of the week. A new search on United.com also shows the different flight number on the 20th.
Old Aug 11, 19, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TechnoTourist View Post

I've checked on Google flights and it shows the MSY-IAH 16:01 flight as UA2420 on August 20th, while showing it as UA740 on every other day of the week. A new search on United.com also shows the different flight number on the 20th.
Doesn't that make it the right flight number for your date?
Old Aug 11, 19, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
It's probably not wrong. UA 2420, according to my search on both United.com and on Matrix shows MSY-IAH and IAH-YYZ as flight 2420 on Aug. 20. Correct this is not the case for the MSY-IAH on the day before and after (I didn't check further), but it's also not odd for UA to change flight numbers on the same flight from day to day, or have a different aircraft, etc.

I'd guess that there was a flight number change at somepoint, and as tends to happen with changes, it doesn't always get sent out by email. In fact, you may have seen something on your reservation on UA.com after the change, but before the up fare, but when you completed the up fare, the system synced the reservation so, aside from the flight number difference, you wouldn't notice it otherwise.

Just watch out for mileage earning...two segments on the same flight number will typically earn just O-D mileage, so in this case, PQM will be as if you flew MSY-YYZ nonstop, instead of MSY-IAH and IAH-YYZ mileage.

Edit: Checking Flightaware, and going back to July 5, indeed, most days UA 2420 is only IAH-YYZ. However, it is both MSY-IAH and IAH-YYZ on Aug 6-8, and also scheduled for both segments on Aug 13 (also a Tuesday). So it does indeed seem that there are certain days where both segments are 2420.
TechnoTourist likes this.

Last edited by emcampbe; Aug 11, 19 at 8:17 pm
Old Aug 11, 19, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Looks like it's 2420 (at least) on other Tuesdays. Nothing seems incorrect here.
Old Aug 11, 19, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, Marriott
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
Just watch out for mileage earning...two segments on the same flight number will typically earn just O-D mileage, so in this case, PQM will be as if you flew MSY-YYZ nonstop, instead of MSY-IAH and IAH-YYZ mileage.
Interesting, I'll keep an eye on that

Thanks for checking the flight history of 2420. I only did that for 740 and didn't notice the missing Tuesdays

Search this Thread