Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it against the rules to view the United Non-rev website while ona revenue ticket

Is it against the rules to view the United Non-rev website while ona revenue ticket

Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
So, so far, you have not disclosed anything too compromising publicly. I guess there is no harm done - yet - as far as UA is concerned.

But just discussing any of this in public, while fascinating for the rest of us, is really only tempting fate. For the sake of your friend, I would stop discussing it in public entirely.
jsloan, Often1 and ajGoes like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
i was just wondering becouse I am a 1k and also have non-rev benefits and I can see info like number of people on upgrade list,seats held for operational upgrades,if the flight is overbooked etc is this against the rules
---------
Looking at information and doing something with it (letting others know about inventory management or making a non-rev booking) are two different things - what rule would you be breaking?. Even if you do have access to that information, you do realize that things can change quickly - lists change, people cancel, flights cancel, equipment changes, etc.? Looking at it in advance doesn't really help you.

Originally Posted by eng3
I think you should definitely direct all these questions to your friends and ask a Mod if he is willing to delete this thread
-------------
Why would the thread need to be deleted ? - absolutely no information has been compromised. All we have is a passenger (1K) who is on a revenue ticket with United but also has access to the employee website as an eligible non-rev and is asking if it is okay to LOOK at information on that website.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 12, 2019 at 11:45 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
i was just wondering becouse I am a 1k and also have non-rev benefits and I can see info like number of people on upgrade list,seats held for operational upgrades,if the flight is overbooked etc is this against the rules
Yes it is and it never ceases to amaze me when these threads pop up on FT. If you have to question whether or not something is ok.....then it probably isn't.

You are using internal information for the purpose of determining which flights to book in an effort to "game" the system---whether that is choosing a particular flight with the intent of the best chance of an upgrade, or purposely selecting flights that are at/near/over capacity (PBTs) with the intent of seeking either voluntary or involuntary boarding compensation. It more or less is the equivalent of insider trading.

One might say....well how would UA know----but it becomes pretty obvious when there is a certain pattern to individual bookings. Then someone will argue how this is any different from airline employees having access to internal information and doing the same thing---in essence yes they probably do use information to make decisions on flights, but usually its to determine whether they should buy a ticket or play the standby game.

In simplest terms....if you are using the internal information to maximize your 1K benefits or potential for overbooking with the intent of gaining compensation etc......it's a violation of terms for both nonrev benefits and MileagePlus benefits.

You might decide which is more valuable....1K or nonrev benefits?
rch4u likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by skidooman
So, so far, you have not disclosed anything too compromising publicly. I guess there is no harm done - yet - as far as UA is concerned.

But just discussing any of this in public, while fascinating for the rest of us, is really only tempting fate. For the sake of your friend, I would stop discussing it in public entirely.
Agree, I have seen nothing here that is compromising so far. However, I have seen multiple posts on FT with information given in such detail it had to have come from a UA employee or the "Non Rev" website (and other carriers) . Nothing that I would consider extremely proprietary but just very detailed. Specifically load information that could have only come from this site. Is this against the UA rules of use, I don't know. I have over the years seen the site myself many times with employees/family of employees but really didn't do anything with the info other than perhaps see what the likely hood of an upgrade would be. Needless to say I was always holding a rev ticket.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:42 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Sounds like the whole website is there for that very reason. You can see all that info to determine if you are going to purchase a rev or a non-rev ticket.
I don’t see why they wouldn’t want you to look at it especially if it encourages you to purchase a rev ticket when you have the option to non-rev.

I don’t see why being a 1K would make any difference in this situation. I know all of those data points aren’t available publicly, but I believe you can call or even ask an agent for all of that..?

Last edited by mr8; Aug 12, 2019 at 1:48 pm
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:11 pm

Why would a non-employee have access to this info to start with??? And what other such loopholes exist wrt proprietary info such as this?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by malgudi
Why would a non-employee have access to this info to start with??? And what other such loopholes exist wrt proprietary info such as this?
It used by employees and employees family/sponsor/significant other. I don't know what they are told in terms of confidentiality of the site but per multiple comments above there are apparently "rules" about use of the site and who can and cannot see/visit the site. I am traveling with a spouse of a UA employee on Wed and will ask specifically what the restriction are on use of the site with others. However, I suspect this information is publicly available.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
Yes it is and it never ceases to amaze me when these threads pop up on FT. If you have to question whether or not something is ok.....then it probably isn't.

You are using internal information for the purpose of determining which flights to book in an effort to "game" the system---whether that is choosing a particular flight with the intent of the best chance of an upgrade, or purposely selecting flights that are at/near/over capacity (PBTs) with the intent of seeking either voluntary or involuntary boarding compensation. It more or less is the equivalent of insider trading.

One might say....well how would UA know----but it becomes pretty obvious when there is a certain pattern to individual bookings. Then someone will argue how this is any different from airline employees having access to internal information and doing the same thing---in essence yes they probably do use information to make decisions on flights, but usually its to determine whether they should buy a ticket or play the standby game.

In simplest terms....if you are using the internal information to maximize your 1K benefits or potential for overbooking with the intent of gaining compensation etc......it's a violation of terms for both nonrev benefits and MileagePlus benefits.

You might decide which is more valuable....1K or nonrev benefits?
This makes no sense at all. Why else would UA give non-revs access to this kind of load information unless for them to use it make decisions about which flights to shoot for and whether to buy a rev ticket or take their chances on non-rev? And of course a substantial part of that decision matrix for many people is trying to maximize the chance of sitting in the premium cabin for as cheap as possible. Viewing these behaviors that are exactly why UA provides non-revs access to this information as part of the value of non-rev travel benefits like "INSIDER TRADING" is non-sensical.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum, OZ Diamond, AC Prestige25K
If OP has access to the non-rev site for legitimate reasons, I see no reason why he shouldn't use it to glean operational information. From a terms of service perspective, no one can definitely say that OP wasn't legitimately contemplating booking a non-rev ticket on the flight he's searching up. Even if he had already purchased a revenue ticket, he could have every intention to cancel that revenue ticket (e.g. if he notices that there seem to be lots of empty spots).
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by chronicrelief
From a terms of service perspective, no one can definitely say that OP wasn't legitimately contemplating booking a non-rev ticket on the flight he's searching up.
Flying non-rev on [non-airline] business is explicitly prohibited. Only leisure trips.

So if OP were on a business trip and looking at load info to maximize the chance of an upgrade, OP could not have been contemplating a non-rev journey as an alternative.
fastair likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
Flying non-rev on [non-airline] business is explicitly prohibited. Only leisure trips.

So if OP were on a business trip and looking at load info to maximize the chance of an upgrade, OP could not have been contemplating a non-rev journey as an alternative.
Perhaps I am not understanding you, are you saying that someone with access to the site buying a ticket for business purposes is not allowed to lay eyes on the site in an attempt to maximize chance of upgrade (assuming eligible)? If so then that is crazy, believe me it is done all the time. Yes, you are expressly forbidden to use non-rev travel for business purposes but those that I know will always take a peak at the loads and see what flight may give them the best chance for a CPU/instrument upgrade. I have never heard that that was forbidden.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:42 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
I have never heard that that was forbidden.
You would have to read the exact terms of the applicable agreements to get the correct answer. It is a highly technical question and cannot be answered by speculation. Enforcement of such a rule would be nearly impossible as a practical matter, though.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If OP has access to the non-rev site for legitimate reasons, I see no reason why he shouldn't use it to glean operational information. From a terms of service perspective, no one can definitely say that OP wasn't legitimately contemplating booking a non-rev ticket on the flight he's searching up. Even if he had already purchased a revenue ticket, he could have every intention to cancel that revenue ticket (e.g. if he notices that there seem to be lots of empty spots).
Are we sure that OP is supposed to have access to the employee nonrev site? My impression is that the employee is supposed to use the website (where there would be employee rules regarding legitimate use of the information) to help the nonrev buddy make informed decisions about what flights to try to get on, etc. I'm not convinced that the employee is supposed to share log in or other access information with friends who might want to fly nonrev as guests of the employee.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:56 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by physioprof
Why else would UA give non-revs access to this kind of load information unless for them to use it make decisions about which flights to shoot for and whether to buy a rev ticket or take their chances on non-rev?
Sure, although...

Even if he had already purchased a revenue ticket, he could have every intention to cancel that revenue ticket (e.g. if he notices that there seem to be lots of empty spots).
... I have the impression from the nonrevs I know that this is explicitly forbidden on DL, i.e. you cannot list for a flight that you previously held a revenue ticket (which makes a ton of sense, for the same reason they don't want revenue pax to "hold" upgrade space by booking award tickets and cancelling at the last minute) -- is that also the case on UA?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are we sure that OP is supposed to have access to the employee nonrev site? My impression is that the employee is supposed to use the website (where there would be employee rules regarding legitimate use of the information) to help the nonrev buddy make informed decisions about what flights to try to get on, etc. I'm not convinced that the employee is supposed to share log in or other access information with friends who might want to fly nonrev as guests of the employee.

Agreed.

There's no way a company is going to allow non-employee access ...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 13, 2019 at 12:25 am Reason: Unneeded comments removed

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.