Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why does IAH-NRT on UA go from $1300 to $2800 after November?

Old Aug 10, 19, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Want to book rt IAH-NRT on UA in March 2020 however the ticket prices through November 2019 are ~$1300 but starting in December they go up to $2400 and stay that way (even higher) into 2020. Is there a reason for this? Am I better off waiting until 2020 to book this itin (i.e. will prices come back down to $1300 closer in)?
Old Aug 10, 19, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Prices will likely come down. Searches are yielding H fares for econ, D fares for business. Those are higher fare buckets, thus the higher prices. Despite there being inventory down to N9 and P9 on most days.
Old Aug 10, 19, 2:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gmt4 View Post
Prices will likely come down. Searches are yielding H fares for econ, D fares for business. Those are higher fare buckets, thus the higher prices. Despite there being inventory down to N9 and P9 on most days.
Married segment availability issues?
Old Aug 10, 19, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Cheapest published fare is a V. That's available beginning Jan. 7.

I believe UA is updating the fares as I write. UA is selling an L for $1353 AI that does not show up on EF.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Married segment availability issues?
No, completely irrelevant. JV monopoly. You'll see this from SFO as well, where cheapest fare is often a Q or H.
Old Aug 10, 19, 3:18 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Have you checked the fare rules?
Old Aug 10, 19, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mr8 View Post
No sorry for a 1k I am pretty ignorant - what should I be looking for?
Old Aug 10, 19, 4:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
Want to book rt IAH-NRT on UA in March 2020 however the ticket prices through November 2019 are ~$1300 but starting in December they go up to $2400 and stay that way (even higher) into 2020. Is there a reason for this? Am I better off waiting until 2020 to book this itin (i.e. will prices come back down to $1300 closer in)?
How many days are you staying in Japan. There are no cheap UA fares as others have posted but the of those fare posted the least expensive (V) require a 3 day stay

Hopefully UA will publish lower mid-level fares (W) in the future. Seem to be the report of an L fare up thread but it will likely have a min stay requirement also.

Originally Posted by mr8 View Post
Probably not the issue, no discount fares are published for thi route / timeframe
Hard to read the fare rules for an unpublished fare.
Old Aug 10, 19, 4:05 pm

I fly the route frequently, ~2k is pretty much the usual price for the UA nonstop in Y. I wouldn’t count on the price moving much.
Old Aug 10, 19, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
No sorry for a 1k I am pretty ignorant - what should I be looking for?
If a fare is displaying on UA, your can view the fare rules there -- not a simple exercise

If you want a general view (how others are reporting no discount fares) you need a paid service like ExpertFlyer or KVS

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 10, 19 at 7:19 pm
Old Aug 10, 19, 4:14 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
If you want a general view (how others are reporting no discount fares) you need a paid service like ExpertFlyer or KVS
Or a free service like ITA.
Old Aug 10, 19, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Hard to get a "general view" of all the fares on ITA, but yes you can get the specific fare rules for a specific fare there. Plus you have to be somewhat proficient in reading fare rules in that format.
Old Aug 10, 19, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
No, that is not the same.

EF lists all the fares for a given city pair. ITA does not. You have to pay to access the broader array of GDS feed data,
Old Aug 10, 19, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
How many days are you staying in Japan. There are no cheap UA fares as others have posted but the of those fare posted the least expensive (V) require a 3 day stay

Hopefully UA will publish lower mid-level fares (W) in the future. Seem to be the report of an L fare up thread but it will likely have a min stay requirement also.

Probably not the issue, no discount fares are published for thi route / timeframe
Hard to read the fare rules for an unpublished fare.
7 day stay
Old Aug 10, 19, 7:58 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Trying to figure out what the gnomes in Revenue Management are thinking is a fool's game. However, I seem to remember reading something a while back that United's RM was trying to raise prices on flights further out in the future based on the idea that if someone is booking the flight now, they really, really, need to fly on those specific dates and are willing to pay the premium.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 10, 19, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
seeing $550 BOS-NRT today which was $1150 on Friday. Prices keep changing very regularly.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: