Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Additional RPUs / GPUs after reaching 100K PQMs / 1K status? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2019, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archived thread -- the new active thread is Additional RPUs / GPUs after reaching 100K PQMs / 1K status?

GPUs
Premier members will earn six Global Premier Upgrades upon meeting all qualification requirements of Premier 1K® status. An additional two Global Premier Upgrades will be awarded for each 50,000 Premier qualifying miles or 60 Premier qualifying segments earned thereafter during the same calendar year that Premier 1K was reached.
RPUs
Premier members will earn two Regional Premier Upgrades upon meeting all qualification requirements of Premier Platinum status, plus two more upon meeting all qualification requirements of Premier 1K® status. An additional two Regional Premier Upgrades will be awarded for each 25,000 Premier qualifying miles or 30 Premier qualifying segments earned thereafter during the same calendar year that Premier 1K was reached.
Once 1K requirements are met (100K PQMs/120 PQSs, $12K PQDs, 4 UA segments if required)
100K PQMs/120 PQSs .. 2 RPUs (in addition to 2 RPUs for Plat) plus 6 GPUs
125K PQMs/150 PQSs .. 2 additional RPUs ...... Total 6 RPUs + 6 GPUs
150K PQMs/180 PQSs .. 2 additional RPUs plus 2 GPUs ...... Total 8 RPUs + 8 GPUs
175K PQMs/210 PQSs .. 2 additional RPUs ...... Total 10 RPUs + 8 GPUs
200K PQMs/240 PQSs .. 2 additional RPUs plus 2 GPUs ...... Total 12 RPUs + 10 GPUs
etc
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

I travel for work(domestically). I currently have UA Gold for this year and I've already met the UA Gold requirements for next year...so by the end of the year I will for sure hit UA Plat, if not UA 1k.

According to the UA Plat benefits, I get X amount of regional upgrade vouchers? As for UA 1k, I get X number of Global upgrade vouchers? Does anyone know how many I actually get? Are there any other major benefits that I'll get from UA 1k vs UA Plat? If i'm UA 1k, are the chances of me being upgraded "for free" exceptionally higher? When I fly for work, i got upgraded like 2 times to first class while booking a coach fare.

I'm trying to gauge if it's worth it for me to actually meet the UA 1K requirements...Looking at my status for this year, I will be very close to hitting UA 1k. I may have to book 1-2 personnel travels(with my own money) to meet the UA 1k requirements. This is only my 2nd year in a mileage program and I would like to seek more advice from my fellow flyertalkers.

I'm based in SFO.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
2 RPU's when you cross Plat

2 RPU's when you cross 1K along with 6 GPU's for a total of 10

The benefits are higher rank on upgrade list - but the impact of that varies depending on what routes you fly. Dedicated 1K call line...which is good, but plat is really good already.

It all comes down to you, and the value you put on these things. Other benefits and 1K information is well documented here, check it out: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...3-edition.html
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by emofeng
According to the UA Plat benefits, I get X amount of regional upgrade vouchers?
....As for UA 1k, I get X number of Global upgrade vouchers? Does anyone know how many I actually get? ....
@75K 2 RPUs
@100K 6 GPUs, 2 RPUs
@125K 2 RPUs
@150K 2 GPUs, 2 RPUs
ecetera
RPU earning
Premier members will earn two Regional Premier Upgrades upon meeting all qualification requirements of Premier Platinum status, plus two more upon meeting all qualification requirements of Premier 1K® status. An additional two Regional Premier Upgrades will be awarded for each 25,000 Premier qualifying miles or 30 Premier qualifying segments earned thereafter.
GPU earning
Premier members will earn six Global Premier Upgrades upon meeting all qualification requirements of Premier 1K® status. An additional two Global Premier Upgrades will be awarded for each 50,000 Premier qualifying miles or 60 Premier qualifying segments earned thereafter.
....Are there any other major benefits that I'll get from UA 1k vs UA Plat?....
Premier benefits and more

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...3-edition.html

....If i'm UA 1k, are the chances of me being upgraded "for free" exceptionally higher? ....
higher yes, but depending on purchased fare and flight times likely to see 30 to 60% on hub-hub flights -- transcons the least successful

....I'm based in SFO.
Things are tougher for 1Ks @SFO unless you are high fare flyer. Too many 1Ks and GSs.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59
2 RPU's when you cross Plat

2 RPU's when you cross 1K along with 6 GPU's for a total of 10

The benefits are higher rank on upgrade list - but the impact of that varies depending on what routes you fly. Dedicated 1K call line...which is good, but plat is really good already.

It all comes down to you, and the value you put on these things. Other benefits and 1K information is well documented here, check it out: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...3-edition.html
Thanks for the responds. Right now, I'm thinking it is worth it to say spend $1000 to get a good MR to meet my 1K requirement because the extra RPUs, and GPUs "should" be valued more than $1000. But then again...I've never had any experience with RPUs or GPUs and not sure exactly how they work. Can RPUs or GPUs be sold "legally"?
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... Can RPUs or GPUs be sold "legally"?
no, they can be gifted to others but UA comes down hard on e-bay-ers, craiglist, ....
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Thanks for the responds. Right now, I'm thinking it is worth it to say spend $1000 to get a good MR to meet my 1K requirement because the extra RPUs, and GPUs "should" be valued more than $1000. But then again...I've never had any experience with RPUs or GPUs and not sure exactly how they work. Can RPUs or GPUs be sold "legally"?
You really don't want to sell miles or any upgrade certs regardless of what airline you fly. It will only end up bad for you and bad for the person who bought the miles or upgrade certs.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
@75K 2 RPUs
@100K 6 GPUs, 2 RPUs
@125K 2 RPUs
@150K 2 GPUs, 2 RPUs
ecetera
RPU earning

GPU earning

Premier benefits and more

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...3-edition.html

higher yes, but depending on purchased fare and flight times likely to see 30 to 60% on hub-hub flights -- transcons the least successful

Things are tougher for 1Ks @SFO unless you are high fare flyer. Too many 1Ks and GSs.
I really really appreciate all the links! I'm still very new to this frequent flyer business. Thanks for all your help!

What a bummer...I was actually hoping I can get upgrades for international flights from like SFO-HKG or SFO-NRT. I want to get my parents to fly the upper classes for once .

Would my chances of being upgraded be better if I fly SJC-NRT via ANA? Does that even work since ANA is in the star alliance. Again...I'm sooo new to this!

Appreciate every comment! Thank you all!
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kluau88
You really don't want to sell miles or any upgrade certs regardless of what airline you fly. It will only end up bad for you and bad for the person who bought the miles or upgrade certs.
I completely understand. Will I get in trouble if I book an award flight for my parents(i will not be traveling) and use my upgrades for them? That's actually the only reason why I would get to UA 1k for the upgrades for parents to travel! =/
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
What a bummer...I was actually hoping I can get upgrades for international flights from like SFO-HKG or SFO-NRT. I want to get my parents to fly the upper classes for once .

Would my chances of being upgraded be better if I fly SJC-NRT via ANA? Does that even work since ANA is in the star alliance. Again...I'm sooo new to this!
You can upgrade your parents on Intl. flights, just read the rules for using an upgrade. For a GPU they need to be on a W fare or higher.

As far as ANA goes, I am quite sure you can't use a UA upgrade cert any other *A partner other than LH. But a more frequent international FTer can confirm or correct me.

Again...I'm sooo new to this!
So read some of the links FT has given you....
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:46 pm

.... What a bummer...I was actually hoping I can get upgrades for international flights from like SFO-HKG or SFO-NRT. ....
not sure anyone has stated that could not happen but if not cleared at booking, it is not a certainty but decent odds.
For a parent trip probably best to find a flight with space at booking

....Would my chances of being upgraded be better if I fly SJC-NRT via ANA? .....
GPUs don't work on ANA

see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ns-thread.html

.... Will I get in trouble if I book an award flight for my parents(i will not be traveling) and use my upgrades for them? ...
no problem but you can not upgrade award flights. You need to find a business class award (with miles).
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59
You can upgrade your parents on Intl. flights, just read the rules for using an upgrade. For a GPU they need to be on a W fare or higher.

As far as ANA goes, I am quite sure you can't use a UA upgrade cert any other *A partner other than LH. But a more frequent international FTer can confirm or correct me.

So read some of the links FT has given you....
Will read right now! Thanks
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I have successfully burned 12 GPUs over the past two years on SFO-HKG, SFO-NRT, and SFO-ICN. To achieve this sort of success level, it's essential to have some flexibility in scheduling.

This, to me, is far and away the greatest benefit to being 1K. Used this way, two GPUs represent the difference between a $1400 W fare and a $5000 P/Z fare.

There is no problem gifting GPUs for your parents' benefit. You just can't sell them to third parties.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
I have successfully burned 12 GPUs over the past two years on SFO-HKG, SFO-NRT, and SFO-ICN. To achieve this sort of success level, it's essential to have some flexibility in scheduling.

This, to me, is far and away the greatest benefit to being 1K. Used this way, two GPUs represent the difference between a $1400 W fare and a $5000 P/Z fare.

There is no problem gifting GPUs for your parents' benefit. You just can't sell them to third parties.
Thanks for the heads up! I will keep this in mind.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
I really really appreciate all the links! I'm still very new to this frequent flyer business. Thanks for all your help!

Appreciate every comment! Thank you all!
I have done my fair share of flying on SFO-HKG and SFO-NRT over the past 10 years and have quite a bit of experience with upgrade roulette.

As has been mentioned you are better off using GPU vs. miles. While you will need to buy a W fare or higher on the GPU, using miles offers a bit of flexibility in fare class, but then you are also paying a surcharge + miles.

SFO-HKG is one of the tougher routes in the system to upgrade even as a 1K. I would highly suggest avoid playing upgrade roulette here and only buy this if you can find confirmed space. As UA launches more service to China upgrades on this route might not be so difficult, but I will just say there is one tech company that has a high concentration of paid biz on SFOHKG. Some of that might go away with the launch of SFOTPE and SFOCTU.

SFO-NRT is much much easier given that there are 2 flights daily. If you were to book without being able to confirm upgrade space, I would try to book for travel during the week. Another option would be routing them via IAH as there are currently 2x daily service between IAHNRT and loads so far have been really light especially on UA1.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1k
UA 1K Question

GPU's are invaluable if you are travelling Internationally. The downside is that you have to buy up to a higher fare in order to be eligable for upgrades (minimum W fare for international upgrades) This can lead to what some call the Upgrade lottery, purchasing a more expensive fare in the hope of an upgrade clearing. Often, however, upgrade space is available at booking. The expert mode on Ua.com will reveal if space is available. Look for R space greater than 0.

Some say that unlike domestic uogrades, SFO is easier for upgrades on TPAC routes, because the 747's have more C seats than other aircraft.

I made the effort to get to 1k last year fir the first time. So far, my GPU's have gone towards uogrades from Y+ to business on a TATL overnight, LHR to SFO return on the top deck of a 747, BAH to LAX one way on a mileage run to get to 1k for next year, and LHR to GIG via IAH and back to ORD (that one is waitlisted, all the rest have cleared).

In short, I've got a London to LAX business return for $1250 and potentially Rio for $1200 thanks to the GPU's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.