DYKWIA-A big shot Silver

Old Aug 9, 19, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver
DYKWIA-A big shot Silver

Well, I've finally made it to the big time! It's about time my 580,000 lifetime miles and silver status started to pay off. Yes indeed. Normally when I fly, at boarding time I am 30+ or 40+ on the upgrade list. Not today though! I'm finally getting the respect I deserve. SFO to ANC and I am strutting my stuff. Oh yeah, baby. I am only number 15 on the upgrade list! I am cock of the walk today! I'll be high five'n all the way to the gate.
SFO777, CREN, greytop13 and 45 others like this.

Last edited by geo979; Aug 11, 19 at 9:21 pm
Old Aug 9, 19, 5:25 pm

Don’t forget to say loudly as you reach your seat (so that those who have paid for ‘em can hear), “This must be the free Economy Plus seat United has been holding for me as a valued Premier flyer!”
CREN, drewguy, JNelson113 and 9 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 19, 5:44 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Don’t forget to say loudly as you reach your seat (so that those who have paid for ‘em can hear), “This must be the free Economy Plus seat United has been holding for me as a valued Premier flyer!”
Hopefully, it's not a middle seat........
CREN and Kannai like this.
Old Aug 10, 19, 6:02 am

Hi Yo Silver! Away!
iluv2fly and elitefreak like this.
Old Aug 10, 19, 7:10 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
make sure you flash your luggage tags to everyone on the plane and especially the FA
Old Aug 10, 19, 7:52 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
And don't be disappointed at Baggage Claim when your Priority-tagged bag shows up after a dozen or so non-Priority-tagged bags.
Old Aug 10, 19, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by tarheelnj View Post
And don't be disappointed at Baggage Claim when your Priority-tagged bag shows up after a dozen or so non-Priority-tagged bags.
Priority = "break me first".
garykung, nancypants and DErg like this.
Old Aug 10, 19, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
DYKWIA status doesn't kick in until you are in BG1.
Old Aug 10, 19, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
You should try Delta silver! PHX-SEA on a Saturday 7:40am flight, I actually got upgraded to F!
​​​​​​
/one-up
​​​​
fotographer likes this.
Old Aug 10, 19, 1:23 pm

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
You should try Delta silver! PHX-SEA on a Saturday 7:40am flight, I actually got upgraded to F!
​​​​​​
/one-up
​​​​
The easiest upgrade IMO is Alaska. I have gotten upgrades on regular basis as a lowly MVP, including F upgrades on one of the most competitive routes with cheap AS R fares.
CREN likes this.
Old Aug 10, 19, 4:27 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, DL Diamond and 1MM
I appreciate OP's humor and realistic expectations. Sounds like a good guy.
gene2632 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 19, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
First page! Way to go!

Actually, first page from SFO is tough for a 1K.
Old Aug 10, 19, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
DYKWIA status doesn't kick in until you are in BG1.
I believe DYKWIA is self appointed. The impressiveness of the claim/story is inversely proportional to actual status. Kudos to the self-awareness of geo979.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 19, 5:35 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Let’s not forget this 😉

Old Aug 11, 19, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver
Hi all. It's me again. Mr. Big Shot Silver. Or, if you prefer, you can just call me "Mr. BS" for short. Yes, that was sure some flight. Everyone around me seemed to sense I was a big shot. I must have had a certain aura about me seeing as how I was the big one five on the upgrade list. It was magical. I could give many examples but, in the interest of time, let me just share one example. As I'm walking onto the flight like a peacock in full display, I started chatting up the 2 female flight attendants that greeted me. I mentioned I was the big one five on this flight. As you can imagine, they were quite impressed. As we talked, both of these ladies were looking me up and down and, well, they were kind of checking me out, if you know what I mean. They could see I was hot stuff and had it going on. Oh yeah. I know they liked what they saw because as I departed and started strutting down the aisle toward my seat I heard one of them say to the other, "Look at that a$$". See, I told you they were checking me out.

Enough about that flight though. Now that I'm Mr. BS, I will be anxious to see what surprises await me on the upgrade list when I fly out of Anchorage in a few days. I feel like I'm on a roll now so maybe the big one four is on the horizon for yours truly. I'll let you know what transpires.
ekwang, 330, tomsundstrom and 13 others like this.

Last edited by geo979; Aug 13, 19 at 5:38 pm

Search this Thread