Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Express (Air Wisconsin) Flight Attendant Arrested for Being Drunk

Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:58 am
Used to be MBS PremExec
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat

https://abc7.com/flight-attendant-fi...Iewg_uNPe-oANc

...And the hits keep coming. While indeed, not an actual employed-by-United flight attendant, that's not what the public will perceive.

So intoxicated that she had to be buckled in by passengers, and was passed out (sleeping) in her jump seat.

I do hope for her sake that it does turn out to be something other than intoxication, but since she was arrested at SBN upon arrival and has already summarily been fired by Air Wisconsin, I'd guess at this point it's probably open and shut that she was drunk.

Another link:

https://www.businessinsider.com/unit...secutor-2019-8
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
https://abc7.com/flight-attendant-fi...Iewg_uNPe-oANc

...And the hits keep coming. While indeed, not an actual employed-by-United flight attendant, that's not what the public will perceive.

So intoxicated that she had to be buckled in by passengers, and was passed out (sleeping) in her jump seat.

I do hope for her sake that it does turn out to be something other than intoxication, but since she was arrested at SBN upon arrival and has already summarily been fired by Air Wisconsin, I'd guess at this point it's probably open and shut that she was drunk.

Another link:

https://www.businessinsider.com/unit...secutor-2019-8
"other than intoxication"? The news report claimed a breathalizer test indicated >0.2%.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
This story was on national Primetime News program last night. She deserved to be dismissed. Safety is job 1.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
New meaning to the longtime moniker, "Air Whiskey"...

Joking aside, this is not the first time there has been such an issue for Air Wisconsin on the United CPA... https://abc13.com/united-passengers-...plane/3428100/

ZW has some of the lowest wages in the industry. I imagine turnover is pretty high and the lifestyle (lots of short legs, lower-end layover accommodations) is demanding.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
The ZW flight is at 9AM. I am left with the same question as with the GLA-EWR incident - how much do you have to drink to be that drunk at 9AM? Holy smokes!
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: Hertz PC
Not the first time I have seen a Air Wisconsin FA fall on her ......

4th of July last year on flight from ord-mke. She did not hear the capt announcement "flight attendant take your seat" She was still standing looking out the right side door window at fireworks when the jet accelerated on the runway. She fell toward 1A and ended up in the aslie. LUCKY SHE DIDN'T HIT HER HEAD.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
The ZW flight is at 9AM. I am left with the same question as with the GLA-EWR incident - how much do you have to drink to be that drunk at 9AM? Holy smokes!
According to local media: "While on the way to jail, the flight attendant told an officer that she drank two vodka “shooters” before work that morning, according to the affidavit. A breath test later showed her blood-alcohol content level was .204, prosecutors said."
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
That has to be some kind of FAA violation--to leave the gate with an incapacitated FA, right?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
You almost think UA is going to have to require GAs to use a breathalyzer on all the crew before they're allowed down the jetway.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
I do not pay attention to the overall crew interactions prior to a flight, but is there some responsibility for the pilot/co-pilot to notice that the flight attendant cannot make it through the safety briefing or that the entire flight crew is ready for the flight?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:04 am
Used to be MBS PremExec
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
I do not pay attention to the overall crew interactions prior to a flight, but is there some responsibility for the pilot/co-pilot to notice that the flight attendant cannot make it through the safety briefing or that the entire flight crew is ready for the flight?
I've always wondered this...Can the pilots actually hear the in-cabin announcements? Maybe they were oblivious?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:09 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I've always wondered this...Can the pilots actually hear the in-cabin announcements? Maybe they were oblivious?
Many of these announcements on RJs are prerecorded.
cawhite likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
Article states she admitted to doing two "vodka shooter" prior to flight. I think that actually means four. Pretty sad to say the least.
narvik likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Many of these announcements on RJs are prerecorded.
I would also assume that the pilots are too busy with other stuff to pay attention to the safety briefing, even if they can hear it. But the pilots tend to also interact with the FAs before the cockpit door is locked up. Surprised they wouldn’t notice.
cawhite and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:22 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
You almost think UA is going to have to require GAs to use a breathalyzer on all the crew before they're allowed down the jetway.
This is far from a UA unique situation, just some incidents this year
Flight attendant turned up for work more than four times over alcohol ...(AA)
Qatar Airways Flight Gets Delayed 10 Hours After Crew Turn Up Drunk .
Japan Airlines flight attendant found drunk on duty - Xinhua English ...
Delta pilot Gabriel Lyle Schroeder suspected of intoxication arrested at ...
Intoxicated British Airways 777 Pilot Removed From Flight One Mile ...
Drunk Pilot Receives 10 Months in Prison After Failing Breathalyzer ... (JL)

This is an industry-wide, actually any workplace, issue. But for the airlines, with greater safety concerns, there is already a spot checking process -- Drug testing FAs
featheroleather, narvik and ajGoes like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 9, 2019 at 11:28 am Reason: more links

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.