Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Enrolled Friend (Non-rev) standby for the Front Cabin While Holding Paid Y Ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Enrolled Friend (Non-rev) standby for the Front Cabin While Holding Paid Y Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:57 am

And to answer the other part of your question, you will not be eligible for an upgrade if you buy a ticket, discounted or not. Also your luggage will need to be collected in NJ. You can't check a bag thru on a two different tickets if one is rev and one non-rev. If you're going to buy a ticket to EWR you may as well just buy it thru to BOS.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A BCN-BOS ticket may even cost less than BCN-EWR.
narvik likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
If your father is a retired employee and you are listed in his profile as an enrolled friend, then he definitely has access to the Employee Website (FlyingTogether). With that in mind, have him pull up the website and under "Travel" there are all sorts of links to rules/ regulations/ availability, eligibility etc. Look at it with him and be sure to read the rules - they are not that complicated. Phoning the benefits hotline might be useful but they have a tendency to challenge whoever is calling (especially if not the employee or retiree) and questioning anything about wanting to rebook/ change things/ rules, etc., it becomes a third degree interrogation - which I understand due to abuses in the past by other people.

In answer to your question, if you buy a revenue (coach) ticket from BCN to EWR, you will not be able to standby in any "non-rev" capacity for an upgrade to Business class.....and, as others have mentioned, do not double book with a revenue ticket and a standby booking at the same time or same day - you'll be standing in BCN buying a full revenue ticket on another airline and your father will be in the hot seat with his travel benefits.

You are entitled to purchase a UA Employee Discount fare in all classes but it also will not put you on or allow you to get on an upgrade list for Business class if you buy the discount for coach cabin. Most importantly what are your chances of getting on standby from BCN to EWR ?- are you planning weekend versus midweek travel, on or near a holiday, etc.? Can you consider an alternate listing from BCN to IAD instead (Washington Dulles)?,...any unused non-rev ticket is refundable should you decide to go to IAD instead of EWR that day.
nomad420 likes this.

Last edited by FlyingNone; Aug 9, 2019 at 2:39 pm
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
If your father is a retired employee and you are listed in his profile as an enrolled friend, then he definitely has access to the Employee Website (FlyingTogether). With that in mind, have him pull up the website and under "Travel" there are all sorts of links to rules/ regulations/ availability, eligibility etc. Look at it with him and be sure to read the rules - they are not that complicated. Phoning the benefits hotline might be useful but they have a tendency to challenge whoever is calling (especially if not the employee or retiree) and questioning anything about wanting to rebook/ change things/ rules, etc., it becomes a third degree interrogation - which I understand due to abuses in the past by other people.

In answer to your question, if you buy a revenue (coach) ticket from BCN to EWR, you will not be able to standby in any "non-rev" capacity for an upgrade to Business class. You are entitled to purchase a UA Employee Discount fare in all classes but it also will not put you on or allow you to get on an upgrade list for Business class if you buy the discount for coach cabin. Most importantly what are your chances of getting on standby from BCN to EWR ?- are you planning weekend versus midweek travel, on or near a holiday, etc.?
+1
Fly with NRSAs not infrequently (in fact with one next week) and per above there is a very helpful website that I is supposedly only for employees, I assume it is this "flying together" site. My friends are able to pull up extremely detailed information regarding the load, who is flying, who is waitlisted, levels of seniority, number of rev cusomers, etc.... It is freakishly detailed. I believe you (or at least your father) will have access to this. Once you pull it up then it is basically game on as to trying to see if you can get your Polaris seat. My buddies have become fanatic at this. I don't know the details of this UA website but as others pointed out FT is more consumer or REV oriented travel site.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
It never ceases to amaze me when I see threads like this. I realize that the general public is clueless when it comes to NRSA travel, but for the employee (or in this case former employee) to put someone on their benefits and not even give any guidance to their pass riders, in such that they have to come here and ask the question, always irks me. This isn't meant to call out the OP, but how many times have we heard news stories about "travelers claim racial discrimination because agent asks them to change their clothes to sit in F" or "paid for ticket, airline wouldn't get us on a flight for 3 days"......only to find out that they were non-revs who clearly didn't get any guidance from their sponser.
------
I totally agree with you here. Whether active or retired, one must always, explicitly explain how this works to the person they are sponsoring. Not surprisingly, there are probably many retirees who have rarely traveled or have not traveled for a very long time and are not totally aware of all the things that might go wrong. Flights are extremely full, everywhere, even off-season so it's also not a bad idea to set up an alternate non-rev flight booking (ie., to a different city or on a different day) but I'd venture to say that a lot of employees/retirees don't even think of this and then will get that dreaded phone call in the middle of the night or from a boarding gate....."what do I do ??". Not me. I set up the plan and then advise or book/list the alternate flights and plans B and sometimes C. I am obligated to explain the dress code, conduct, risks, etc., if only for my own retention of benefits. As I have said in many other threads, I am extremely selective of who I grant passes to. They have to be savvy travelers who can handle the downside and are willing to accept disappointment. I recently removed someone, for their benefit, because it would have been such a hassle to guide them through alternative times/ dates/ flights, etc. In my case I feel it is just not worth it. Plan way ahead, buy a ticket, case closed, done.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nwff
In addition to the good advice above (T&C when you log into erespass... specifically state: Holding either a confirmed reservation or a positive-space booking takes a revenue seat out of inventory that could otherwise have been sold. Pass riders may not hold a confirmed reservation and a positive-space or space-available booking over the same routing for the same trip.)
The real reason for the rule - if pass riders bought refundable one way tickets - find out they could get on standby, and then cancel the refundable ticket -
Old Aug 9, 2019, 3:14 pm

It is possible that OP could buy a ticket on another carrier, since UA would have no real way of knowing. I don't know how the non-rev rules read for UA, but it is possible that technically one could pre- purchase one way on IB for example, possibly using points and meet the letter if not spirit of whatever UA's non-rev rules state.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
------
I totally agree with you here. Whether active or retired, one must always, explicitly explain how this works to the person they are sponsoring. Not surprisingly, there are probably many retirees who have rarely traveled or have not traveled for a very long time and are not totally aware of all the things that might go wrong. Flights are extremely full, everywhere, even off-season so it's also not a bad idea to set up an alternate non-rev flight booking (ie., to a different city or on a different day) but I'd venture to say that a lot of employees/retirees don't even think of this and then will get that dreaded phone call in the middle of the night or from a boarding gate....."what do I do ??". Not me. I set up the plan and then advise or book/list the alternate flights and plans B and sometimes C. I am obligated to explain the dress code, conduct, risks, etc., if only for my own retention of benefits. As I have said in many other threads, I am extremely selective of who I grant passes to. They have to be savvy travelers who can handle the downside and are willing to accept disappointment. I recently removed someone, for their benefit, because it would have been such a hassle to guide them through alternative times/ dates/ flights, etc. In my case I feel it is just not worth it. Plan way ahead, buy a ticket, case closed, done.
Most the NRSAs are spouses of active UA employees so they are pretty savvy to the rules, "dress code", and etiquette. They always have a plan B, C, and D in getting from point A to B. They don't bother the sponsor in the event of a delay. I can't tell you how many times I have traveled with them and have had to wave good by while they went off to find alternative flight plans because they got shut down. You are NON REV it is what it is.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
The "spirit" of the rule is the same as for revenue passengers - they don't want a single person holding two reservations for the same flight. They can only use one. They don't care if you hold a reservation on another airline, although it is seldom economically advantageous to do so.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:24 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by krohearn
Because it is urgent I make it back to the states that day, I'm actually considering purchasing an economy ticket for JUST the first leg of my journey (Barcelona to NJ). I still plan to fly standby for the second leg of my journey (NJ to BOS).
FYI, one-way international tickets tend to be more expensive than roundtrip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.