Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to request electric cart service between gate connections?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

My wife injured her foot and has to wear one of those orthopedic “boots” that half the population seems to be wearing these days.

She can walk in it, but not for long distances and can’t stand for long periods of time. She doesn’t really need a wheelchair, so is it possible to request cart service between connecting gates? We have a trip to SYD soon.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Depends on the airport if it will be a cart or wheelchair services
Such as SFO does not have carts
Request process is the same for either.
Call in advance, reconfirm at airport check-in
Expect delays and sometimes be surprised with timely service
lexdevil and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Call in advance, reconfirm at airport check-in
Expect delays and sometimes be surprised with timely service
I second this, having just flown SFO-FRA-LHR-SFO w/ a broken ankle. Long waits are to be expected. In some cases you can avoid this by borrowing the chair and doing your own pushing (which can cause its own issues). In my case when the wait was going to be over 30 minutes, I sucked it up and walked.

The worst part of the entire experience is not knowing what to expect, as it is different at every airport. Will they meet you at the jetway? Should you remain seated until they show up? Will the flight crew know about the request and offer assistance? Where should you go? How long will you have to wait? Be aggressive about asking or you'll be very frustrated.

One important tip -- if her boot has an air bladder, be certain the valve is open and/or the boot is loosened when you fly. As you ascend the air bladder will fill up because of the change in air pressure. This can cut off circulation and be very painful. It can even cause serious complications.
HardToConcentrate likes this.

Last edited by lexdevil; Aug 8, 2019 at 4:15 pm
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don;t focus on carts vs. wheelchairs. Yes, UA will provide assistance. But, as others note, plan on a lot of extra time.
lexdevil likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
P.S. If it is a fracture, this increases the risk of DVT. My ortho doctor had me start taking low dose aspirin right away and keep taking it until we returned home in order to decrease the risk.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

No fracture. No air bladder in the boot. It’s one of those below the knee, hard plastic boots with Velcro closures.

Mainly concerned about IAH & LAX airports. Flying in Polaris, even on the IAH-LAX segment.

I’ll call United and try to get it set up. Thanks for everyone’s advice.
lexdevil likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, HH-Gold, MR - Gold, HY-Explorist
The one time I tried to set up something like this, the agent recommended wheelchair as that was more reliable than trying to get a cart. Just be sure to specify that you don't need an aisle chair and just need one to the gate (assuming that is all you need) I arranged it by phone and confirmed with the gate agent that there would be a wheelchair waiting on arrival which she was able to confirm.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
No fracture. No air bladder in the boot. It’s one of those below the knee, hard plastic boots with Velcro closures.

Mainly concerned about IAH & LAX airports. Flying in Polaris, even on the IAH-LAX segment.

I’ll call United and try to get it set up. Thanks for everyone’s advice.
The carts are very prevalent at IAH. Shouldn't be too hard to get one there.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Here’s a tip for anyone in a similar situation in the future.

I called the number for United’s Accessibility Desk that is listed on the website. Unfortunately, I had a long wait and when somebody answered, they said,”Reservations.” If I would have known that ahead of time, I would have just called the number that I usually use for my reservations. So, don’t bother with searching for a special number, just call your usual reservation number and they’ll take care of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.