Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

if I book EWR-SFO using UA miles for travel in 15 hours, can I cancel for free?

if I book EWR-SFO using UA miles for travel in 15 hours, can I cancel for free?

Old Aug 9, 19, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Actually, UA posted policy changed to the 7-day rule about 18 months ago
24-hour flexible booking policy
Unitedís 24-hour cancellation / flexible booking policy ...
and on the ticket receipt

HOWEVER
There is been no reported case of UA enforcing the 7-day clause
and
During the reservation process, it refers to " Cancel for free within 24 hours of booking" without mentioning the 7-day limitation (but the hyperlink does)

So, in practice, there appears to be no such restriction -- but the policy is there (and could be enforced at anytime without warning). But let's hope UA continues it present practice
While I am aware of that (and even wrote about it on my blog), as long as UA shows "Cancel for free within 24 hours of booking" under your reservation (as it does now), it cannot change the terms to "sorry, that doesn't apply here." The screenshot with the cancel language would be immediate grounds for a chargeback. My point was that UA continues to show the "Cancel for free within 24 hours of booking" language. In fact, if you are looking at an itinerary, even for a next-day departure, and click away from united.bomb, you'll often get the pop-up message that says to book without worry because you have 24 hours to cancel.
Old Aug 9, 19, 5:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
I booked a same-day intra Europe *A partner flight on UA miles, and the agent redeposited miles back to my account. If this is not the norm, then the agent took pity on me.

For clarity, same-day as in the flight is operating hours after booking.
UA policies and practice (and DOT rules) consider miles and cash tickets covered in the same manner.

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
While I am aware of that (and even wrote about it on my blog), as long as UA shows "Cancel for free within 24 hours of booking" under your reservation (as it does now), it cannot change the terms to "sorry, that doesn't apply here." ....
Click on the link for the rule's T&Cs. Yes the headline is incomplete and one could be misled, but that is not uncommon for the hyperlinks to have exceptions. And the receipt has the full statement also AND this is allowed by the DOT, so not sure a DOT complaint would go anywhere and the ADA exempts states and FTC consumer rules. This is no different than you are bound by the CoC even though you never see it or agree to it.

BUT this may be a tempest in a teapot. as we are both saying, UA is presently not enforcing this -- but it is clearly providing the information in multiple places.
Old Aug 9, 19, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Just an update....

I ended up not getting the reservation. While I was waiting... someone booked it, so I ended up waiting for my original cancelled flight. (but that standby cleared up, so it was all good)

Search this Thread