Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Guaranteed to MISS my connection due to delay DUB-EWR on 8 Aug 2019. Help?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

First of all, apologies if some of this seems basic to some of you. It's late. I've never had this issue before and I'm scrambling for answers. I'll try and keep it brief.

I'm scheduled to fly from Dublin to Dallas (via Newark) tomorrow.

My flight has been pushed back by 4 hours. So, now my arrival time in Newark for my connection is 2 hours after the flight has left. The connection isn't showing any delays. There are 2 other flights to Dallas scheduled for later in the day but both appear to be full.

I'm just looking for help in general as to what to do. Will they get me on a flight tomorrow anyway? If I'm stuck in Newark will they pay for a hotel?

It's 3am here and my phone just buzzed with the bad news. Any help (and ASAP please!) would be a great help.

Thank you all in advance
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, WJ Gold
Don’t sweat it. There’s nothing you can do to control the flights. There is a travel waiver in place for Newark. I would phone United and ask about alternatives or a rerouting on another carrier.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Just because the flight is full now doesn't mean it will be full tomorrow. After all, you're booked on a flight and won't be in your seat.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks jmcintosh. I'm currently on hold with United. I'm guessing there are a lot of people calling!

Would you be reasonably confident I'll get out of Newark tomorrow? I land at 4pm local time now if that makes a difference.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Golden rule here is that it pays to be informed and have options ready before you call United; the UA agent is going to be overwhelmed and not have the time to find every possibility.

Your assigned frame is N91007 which is currently on the ground in IAD after diverting there due to wx in EWR. It is scheduled to continue on to EWR shortly, after which it will operate EWR-DUB, so your delay right now is a best-case figure and could get worse. Unfortunately due to the extreme weather, everything out of EWR I can see tomorrow afternoon is zeroed out. I would try to get rebooked on AA 133 instead (DUB-DFW nonstop) which has space in all cabins at the moment. It might take some arguing to get endorsed over to AA, but you can kindly ask if there are other options that get you there on the same day (there aren't).

UA will ordinarily not cover your hotel in EWR because the cause was WX, but since DUB-EWR is covered by EC261, I seem to recall this includes hotels (someone can correct me). If you stay on the delayed flight you will get your EUR 600 for late delivery.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, dd23.
Unfortunately things in the NE are really bad and lots of flights in and out of the area are delayed.

Are these separate tickets?

If all the travel is on one ticket, UA will rebook and as the day progress keep looking for a better alternatives
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input and help all of you!

The trip is one ticket. I guess I'll just get on the flight and trust I'll get looked after by United.

I've already checked into the flight leaving Dublin online and I won't be checking a bag. Can I show up later now knowing that boarding is pushed 4 hours later? I'd prefer not to sit around in the airport for hours if possible
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by dd23
Thanks for the input and help all of you!

The trip is one ticket. I guess I'll just get on the flight and trust I'll get looked after by United.

I've already checked into the flight leaving Dublin online and I won't be checking a bag. Can I show up later now knowing that boarding is pushed 4 hours later? I'd prefer not to sit around in the airport for hours if possible
Yes, but please check the status of inbound aircraft.
Good luck (EC261 is your friend if you are not in a hurry getting to DFW).
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, WJ Gold
Would you be reasonably confident I'll get out of Newark tomorrow? I land at 4pm local time now if that makes a difference.
My personal rule with Newark is that there is no guarantee! If it were me I’d ask about accommodation on another routing, via LHR or otherwise and avoid Newark tomorrow by the look of things. You just never know tho! It can all change fluidly in the airline world.

Wish you good travels!
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kmxu

Yes, but please check the status of inbound aircraft.
Good luck (EC261 is your friend if you are not in a hurry getting to DFW).
The inbound aircraft is delayed going from Dulles to Newark (Then on to Dublin). I'll be glad of the extra sleep if I can show up at the airport later. I should be asleep as we speak!

thanks everyone

I am in a hurry hence the panic 🙃 I'm visiting for personal reasons and am only due to be in Dallas until Monday so all time lost is a big deal to me. Many thanks again

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 7, 2019 at 9:13 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Can I show up later now knowing that boarding is pushed 4 hours later? I'd prefer not to sit around in the airport for hours if possible
Normally a bad idea, especially at a hub. But in this case, it is highly improbable UA will be able to use an alternative aircraft. So, don't cut it too close, UA may be able to cut some of the delay. Make sure you are at the gate well before the arrival of the delayed flight. I would be uncomfortable with any less than an hour before the new arrival time.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:14 pm

The weather waiver for NYC has been extended. You will need to call UA ASAP to get rerouted via a codeshare partner that as space. Looks like AC has space via YUL. LH has space via FRA.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Finally got through to UA. Booked on a flight leaving Newark at 8.55pm.

Thank you all so much. You helped me outna lot having people to talk to in such an unfamiliar circumstance. I appreciate it more than you all know!!!
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Normally a bad idea, especially at a hub. But in this case, it is highly improbable UA will be able to use an alternative aircraft. So, don't cut it too close, UA may be able to cut some of the delay. Make sure you are at the gate well before the arrival of the delayed flight. I would be uncomfortable with any less than an hour before the new arrival time.
The one other thing to think about is whether the check in desks close.

I once had a 6-hour delay (from 6p to midnight) in Beijing - same situation, no substitute aircraft. But the check-in staff worked only until 5pm, which was the normal cutoff time for check in for the last UA flight. I had to get to the airport by then and just wait.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Quick status update, your plane left IAD and is due into EWR in about an hour. Fingers crossed no further delays and weather lifts sooner than later on the east coast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.