Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Unable to book online flight originating from Mexico

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

So I was trying to book a return flight from Mex to the US and it would not let me do that since I reside in USA. What are the workarounds for that? I was doing a US dollar flight (not miles) but had logged into my United mileage account.
Any pointers would be great thanks
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:13 pm

What happens when you try to book the flight? Is there an error message? What does it say? Or does the price just go up? Can you book on other dates?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Yes I get an error message. I even tried as a guest. It just says we cannot book now please call an agent. Might be because I am using a card that has a different name than mine (credit card)? I cannot book on other dates as my spouse is already booked on one of this flight
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by travelnewbie
... Might be because I am using a card that has a different name than mine (credit card)? ....
Might be flagging as a potential fraud. Have your tried calling or using a credit card in your name?
Have you used this card before with UA?
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelnewbie
Yes I get an error message. I even tried as a guest. It just says we cannot book now please call an agent. Might be because I am using a card that has a different name than mine (credit card)? I cannot book on other dates as my spouse is already booked on one of this flight
There's no rule about not being able to book a roundtrip from the US to Mexico because you live in the US. All UA cares about is that you have the legal right to enter the US and that you have the legal right to enter Mexico on your return flight.

The differing name on the credit card could potentially be an issue.

Either way, I suggest calling. Tell the agent that you tried to book online and it failed, and they should waive the telephone booking fee.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

I tried my own credit card and it still gives an error-pasted it below
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Time to call
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Makes sense. Will call and update here
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I often get that error message if I've been trying to piece together some complex itineraries and I've already tried many different options. It seems to me that UA.com gets tired and gives up. I close my browser, give it a little rest, and then it works again.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Either clear cookies and retry or call

I book MEX-USA all the time with no issues - all on UA.com
joe_miami likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I often get that error message
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Either clear cookies and retry or call
I've also been getting inexplicable error messages lately. Closing browser and restarting seems to fix it.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Cleared all cookies and restarted but that did not help. i am searching on google flights and then jumping from there to UA site. I wonder if that is a problem. . Will be calling UA tomorrow -will update.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

update-so I managed to ge the booking done. I just went to a cafe and logged into my account there. That worked -maybe like you all said, it was the repeat attempts from my ip or vpn. Thanks for the help
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.