Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Status: what is "Perm Block"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Flight Status: what is "Perm Block"

I did a search but didn't find much. I don't remember seeing "Perm Block" a few months ago.

Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:42 am

It is most likely saved for other crew, or to be used with passengers with disabilities.
Read here
UA Seat Blocking FAQ (for those with disabilities, ...) [Consolidated]
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would guess there are for handicapped passengers, probably including those traveling with service dogs and ESAs.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
It references the 319, is there any chance this could be related to the conversions?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Nothing particularly new, they are held from general assignment until 24h for special needs pax, then released at the OLCI window. This is the first time I've seen them distinguished from occupied seats on web seat maps. All fleets have similar pairs of seats.
drewguy likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dannylingen
It is most likely saved for other crew, or to be used with passengers with disabilities.
Read here
UA Seat Blocking FAQ (for those with disabilities, ...) [Consolidated]
There are no crew rest seats on the A319.

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
It references the 319, is there any chance this could be related to the conversions?
That was my first thought, but the changes for the A319 affect E+, not E-. Row 23 and 25 both exist in the new config; it's row 12 and 20 that get removed and replaced with a row 15. So, blocking seats in rows 23 and 25 would be a really odd way to try to improve things.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by jsloan

That was my first thought, but the changes for the A319 affect E+, not E-. Row 23 and 25 both exist in the new config; it's row 12 and 20 that get removed and replaced with a row 15. So, blocking seats in rows 23 and 25 would be a really odd way to try to improve things.
I was more of talking about for moving crew around, but upon reflection, the second option I presented was more logical.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan

I agree, unless you think in terms of what was done for PP seats on the 777's: what if row 7 is just blocked as it may convert to row 3 of F?

But it still would not account for the change of 23 & 25.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree, unless you think in terms of what was done for PP seats on the 777's: what if row 7 is just blocked as it may convert to row 3 of F?

The row 7 block is for bassinets or disabled, since that is the bulkhead.

I don't have an explanation for why they block 23 & 25 on the A319, but they do similar (block some seemingly-random chunks of seats in regular E) on every mainline aircraft, I believe.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Row 7 is still the first row of Y in the new config. It's just further back. It's consistent across the narrowbody mainline fleet, except for the high-J 752; it's based on the 753 having 6 rows of F.

7DE are commonly blocked for disabled passengers, just as Dannylingen suggested.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I've noticed this recently as well. I appreciate the change, as it's clear which seats are taken and which are blocked. We know that most of the blocked seats will be removed later, so that I know if I might have a chance to snag one of those E+ seats at chek-in (Silver).
jsloan and SFO_LOW_CLOUDS like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
These are the standard mainline narrowbody block positions that have been around forever; the change is that new web flight status shows them as blocked rather than assigned. Generally you can select them starting at OLCI.
drewguy likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Could rows 23 and 25 have different armrests? For instance, it's easier for someone using an aisle wheelchair to transfer to/from a seat if the aisle armrest can be raised.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could rows 23 and 25 have different armrests? For instance, it's easier for someone using an aisle wheelchair to transfer to/from a seat if the aisle armrest can be raised.
I believe it's just an arbitrary row choice to same a couple of seats for people who need aisles for medical reasons (and their companion) or to seat pax together who need it for other reasons.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just checked in for a flight tomorrow on a CRJ700, right on 24 hours out and as expected seats 7C and 7D showed as available, and I was able to select 7D.

Checking the seat map on the app a few minutes later showed 7C taken, so I presumed someone had managed to grab it too, but when I look on the website it shows 7C as being "Perm Block" :

However if I run through the check-in process again, I show in 7D, and 7C shows as available for selection.

Doing a dummy booking whilst not logged in gives me the option to select (for payment) any of the other E+ seats, but shows 7C as taken.

Very much looks like these seats are being reserved based on status level - although I have no way of telling what the minimum status is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.